Going higher carb?

Options
Just wondering on what opinions people have on high or higher carb diets for weight loss?

I've recently adjusted my macros after doing a bit of reading online and I think a higher carb diet may do me well. There's also a tonne of Youtube videos reporting the benefits (improved skin, energy, weight loss) provided that fat levels are kept to a minimum.
Generally, I've always felt sick and my skin feels oily when I have a higher fat diet (Nuts, oils, fatty meats), which is why I looked into lower fat diets - discovering high carb. I've always loved fruit, rice and breads so they're great to be able to have plenty of in my diet.

I'm not following 80/10/10 or anything, just sitting at a much higher level of carbs than normal 65/20/15 (c/p/f) and just looking for opinions on what people think of this? Or is anybody has had success on a similar diet plan
On my current diet, I would be consuming 2000 calories a day like this, and I work out 4 times a week.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    My opinion is the best macro breakdown is one that you can adhere to long term, while still meeting your calorie goals (be that goal a deficit, surplus, or maintenance).

If it works for you, then go for it.

If you find it unsustainable, then I'd suggest trying an alternative.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with Juggernaut -- if this macro split is sustainable and allows you to meet your health and fitness goals, then it's the best for you.

I do about 60/25/15 (c/f/p). That's over the course of a week, I don't focus too much on the individual macro breakdown of each day, so some days are much higher in fat or protein (the carbohydrates stay pretty consistent). I lost my weight this way and have been maintaining since July. I also eat about 2,000 calories a day, although I don't eat much rice or bread (because I personally don't enjoy them as much as other carbohydrate sources like fruit, vegetables, pasta, and beans). The only thing I would add is that I haven't tried putting on actual muscle weight on this macro split, I do resistance training but not with the goal of adding weight. For workouts, I run 30-40 miles a week and do body weight resistance training.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My opinion is the best macro breakdown is one that you can adhere to long term, while still meeting your calorie goals (be that goal a deficit, surplus, or maintenance).

Yes, this. Beyond getting the minimums you need, I think it's all personal preference and what feels right for you, so if you think that might be the way to go, try it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options

Cosigned.

I like 40 c 30 f 30 p but I have lots of vegan friends who do great on much higher carbs and lower fat and protein.
  • MichaelRobinson1994
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I like 40 c 30 f 30 p but I have lots of vegan friends who do great on much higher carbs and lower fat and protein.

Thank you :) I am not a vegan, but I am doing my best to keep fats down for now, protein i'm still keeping up (70-100g a day)
    I did consider a shift to veganism for the ease of getting less fat, but chicken stopped that from happening!
  • MichaelRobinson1994
    Options

Thanks :) That seems to be the consensus with everyone else, too!
    I'll give it a few weeks and see how I feel

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I usually aim for around 45% carbs, 30% fat, and 25% protein (myfitnesspal shows your daily average in a pie chart). This has helped me, but everyone is different and I can't imagine eating more carbs will make you gain or lose any faster as long as you stay within your calories.
    I think where carb gets its bad reputation is processed carbs; those delicious baked goods, icings, and sweetened lattes that make us hungry ten minutes after eating/drinking them!
    As long as you go for less processed carbs (fruit, high fiber whole grains, etc.) you should be fine, full of energy, and satisfied :)
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm a firm believer that 'the fat you eat is the fat you wear'. I try and get as close to 80/10/10 as I can, some days I go over, others I don't. I'm a keen road cyclist and I always have plenty of energy to do that, so it can't be that bad...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    http://www.pennmedicine.org/health_info/nutrition/how_much.html
    The carb plan will work. Do keep in mind that we need a certain amount of fats.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2015
    Options

I would also expand on this to say, you need a way of eating that will allow you to address your fitness goals. 70-100g of protein, for me, is too little.
  • MichaelRobinson1994
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    I'm a firm believer that 'the fat you eat is the fat you wear'. I try and get as close to 80/10/10 as I can, some days I go over, others I don't. I'm a keen road cyclist and I always have plenty of energy to do that, so it can't be that bad...

What do you eat to achieve 80/10/10? I can't have loads of fruit as a single meal, just cause of buying/storing at my parents house, unless I wan't to ripen dozens of banana's for example in my bedroom!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »

What do you eat to achieve 80/10/10? I can't have loads of fruit as a single meal, just cause of buying/storing at my parents house, unless I wan't to ripen dozens of banana's for example in my bedroom!

From my understanding, it would be a lot of fruits, veggies and whole grains.

But the assertion of fat makes you fat is widely incorrect, it does not. In fact, fat is essential to life.