huge interest in health and nutrition but struggle with over eating

Options
I am a massive fitness fanatic and for years have been concentrating on what foods go into my body to fuel it right. But still can't hack the over eating. Feel like all my hard work goes to waste because of it.

Has anyone got any suggestions or experiences that they have had to help!?

Thank you x

Replies

• steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I like to really load up the veggies. While NOT zero calories at least it's very low and fills you up. Then eat chicken or fish or tofu for protein. Choices are the name of the game. It only gets harder as you get older. (64 here)
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I find that when I log my foods faithfully, I am less apt to overeat. There is something about the control this imposes that helps me. I also try to keep in mind that every time I give in to overeating I am reinforcing this behavior into a habit (a habit that will put back on the pounds I worked so hard to lose). This idea has helped me. Not perfectly, but I'm better...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I like to eat A LOT. I hate sitting down to lunch or dinner that barely takes up a plate. Volumetrics! Find less calorie dense food that you LIKE, and make huge meals. For starters, doubling the veg and even the protein, and skipping the carbs is an easy way to bulk up a meal. I also don't cook with oil (but make sure I get my fats in foods I can chew throughout the day).
  • jademarriott94
    jademarriott94 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I just feel a lot of the time j am doing these things but it just doesn't seem to stop me!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I wonder if your 'huge interest in health and nutrition' has got you confused because of the amount of things you think you know?

Do this - do that - eat this - don't eat that

My advice - at least to trial for a couple of months?

Throw it all out

Everything you think you know - get rid of it

Focus on your calories
    Set your protein to hit 0.64g per lb bodyweight
    Set your fat to hit 0.35g per lb bodyweight
    treat them both as minimums to reach each day

Eat a wide spread of vegetables, drink adequate to keep your pee pale straw coloured, dairy, lean proteins

Do not care about anything else - if you've hit your protein and fat then the rest of your calories can be made up of anything

hit your calorie target across the week every week for 8 weeks

see what happens...
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Your tagline is 'need to tone big time'

what progressive resistance programme are you following?
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    How much do you exercise? My experience over exercising actually caused me to gain weight because I was so hungry all the time I would overeat. When I scaled back to low impact cardio and weights for much less time/ week as opposed to marathon training I lost weight because I wasn't so hungry all the time.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've always been a fitness enthusiast but stayed fit, fat and mostly strong for twenty years. Always been able to counteract a sometimes huge exercise schedule by eating more.

Then I started counting calories and ate enough to achieve a small weekly calorie deficit. Eating in an intermittent fasting (5:2) style made it easier (for me) to adhere to my weekly limit. The other thing is that I find it easier to achieve a moderate calorie deficit while eating a good volume of food so exercise does help achieve that.

That's it - no magic, just the right calorie balance in a way that's sustainable for the individual.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    brendak76 wrote: »
    How much do you exercise? My experience over exercising actually caused me to gain weight because I was so hungry all the time I would overeat. When I scaled back to low impact cardio and weights for much less time/ week as opposed to marathon training I lost weight because I wasn't so hungry all the time.

this is quite common when not calorie controlling
  • jademarriott94
    Options
    brendak76 wrote: »

In the last 5 weeks exercise has been minimal - none because I've been very poorly. Which also doesn't help with over eating because I have been comfort eating and through Bordem.

But usually I attend a dance college mob-fri and some days would have a good 7 hours of exercise plus cycling 6 miles to get to and from college.

So I do a lot of exercise..

• jademarriott94
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Your tagline is 'need to tone big time'

what progressive resistance programme are you following?

To be fair that tag line was from when u first started all of this a few years back, but that is something which I still am working towards.

I don't follow a specific program, just usually use resistant machines at the gym as well as all my dancing and cycling
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I was extremely knowledgeable about health and fitness, took a few courses, had successfully lost a lot of weight 15yrs ago, started weight training and did a lot of cardio, played basketball, soccer, & golf regularly. Unfortunately I lost the self-control in eating necessary to maintain and I ended up gaining 50 lbs.

One of my best friends is a addictions councillor, and tends to drink too much. Some of the best coaches in sports, do not even play the game..having the knowledge doesn't always mean you will succeed.

What I learned is regarding overall health, wellness and fitness is that some things matter a little, and some things matter a lot. I decided to focus on the things that matter a lot. That would be eating and resistance training. Listen to rabbit above..simplify and focus on the two things that matter the most. Sounds like you get way more cardio than most people so just concentrate on eating better and get a real lifting program. You look great already, and those last few lbs are difficult to take off without focus and knowledge.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    What do you consider "overeating?" Is there a calorie-per-day figure to that? Or perhaps its about a certain feeling of fullness, or having dessert? Does your definition of "overeating" cause you to gain weight above what is considered medically healthy? I'm wondering what your goals are here with regard to eating and weight?
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I often cook a dinner and use the leftovers for future lunches or dinner. I will make a pot of something, divide it in four, immediately put 75 percent of what I cooked into three different tupperwares and refrigerate them, and just eat the quarter portion that I have left. I often LEAVE the kitchen and go to the den or living room to actually eat. This allows me to talk to my roommates or friends and have some time and space from where the food is to figure out that I'm full.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Toe, that is exactly what works for me: measure the portion I've budgeted for that meal, put the rest away, and get out of the kitchen to enjoy eating what I've decided to eat. My two biggest errors in the past have been overloading my plate and going back for seconds, not because I actually need more food but because it tastes good. I need to get it out of sight and out of mind, then give my body a chance to realize that it's full.
  • jademarriott94
    Options
    What do you consider "overeating?" Is there a calorie-per-day figure to that? Or perhaps its about a certain feeling of fullness, or having dessert? Does your definition of "overeating" cause you to gain weight above what is considered medically healthy? I'm wondering what your goals are here with regard to eating and weight?

Hello, thanks for the comment
    So for example, at the moment I haven't been exercising but still have been eating 2600 cals. If I'm exercising that usually works out to be fine to maintain but at the moment I know it's above maintainence but it will get to the end of the day and can't work out if I'm actually hungry or my mind is just tricking me!
    For some reason I just find it hard to eat less!