Blender recommendations

Options
earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
I just burned out the motor in my 40+ year old Osterizer and am looking for a new blender.

My criteria:
  • Powerful enough to handle really thick stuff and crush ice
  • I would prefer a "blend and go" rather than one where I need to transfer the food from the blender to another container
  • Needs to have at least one container that can hold close to 3 cups
  • I really want to stay under $50 but would consider going up to $100 for the right one.

Recommendations?

Replies

• amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i have a ninja and i love it. I have blended carrots, ice, pumpkin etc. I have had it for 2 years and it still works great. you can usually find a deal on amazon or bed bath and beyond
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I like my vitamix a lot!
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Second the Ninja. Love mine
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    I like my vitamix a lot!

I love my Vitamix and I use it all the time. But it's a lot more than $100!
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I absolutely love my vitamix! I once heard it described as the "Cadillac " of blenders...lol The refurbished (which is a great option ) will run you about $300, but it comes with a 5-7 year warranty. It does everything(nut butters, soup, ice cream, smoothie, flour, etc) and the company has awesome customer service. If you want something that will last, I recommend this.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Vitamix all the way. Have not come across anything so far that it could not blend. Have had for 13 years and counting. Still going strong...
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Please stop recommending the Vitamix. I cannot afford it.
  • SarahStClair2
    SarahStClair2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I just burned out the motor in my 40+ year old Osterizer and am looking for a new blender.

My criteria:
    • Powerful enough to handle really thick stuff and crush ice
    • I would prefer a "blend and go" rather than one where I need to transfer the food from the blender to another container
    • Needs to have at least one container that can hold close to 3 cups
    • I really want to stay under $50 but would consider going up to $100 for the right one.

Recommendations?

• SarahStClair2
    SarahStClair2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I got my Ninja for free using my credit card points. I would never spend over $20 on a blender in my life. It is awesome. Durable and sharp blades. I've chopped all kinds of veggies including roots, and it hasn't had any problems at all. It's super easy to clean, just be careful. The blades are very sharp! Ninja has all kinds of systems to Taylor to individual needs. From Blend and go to pitchers. I have the system with 3 sized pitchers with a motorized bullet that fits atop each pitcher.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    nutra ninja pro for around $90 at most place, some version comes with just 24oz blending cups to go or different sized cups to go... I love my kitchen ninja system set, it's the best purchase i have made in quite awhile, i have the 1200w one and it crushes & blends everything within seconds!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If all you're looking for is a mini blender to make smoothies with ice...I bought one from Wal-Mart for like $15 for my office that works perfectly. I'll see if I can find it later.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    If all you're looking for is a mini blender to make smoothies with ice...I bought one from Wal-Mart for like $15 for my office that works perfectly. I'll see if I can find it later.

I do use my blender for a lot of different things, but not as much since I bought my immersion blender. Mostly I have been making protein fluff lately.
  • Kym1166
    Kym1166 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the nutri bullet use all the time.
  • marsh5224
    marsh5224 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love my Ninja!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have the Nutribullet Ninja system, I bought it close to a year ago, from Amazon Warehouse Deals "Used in Like New Condition" for $90 - I think this is the one I got /. I use it every day and LOVE it. The price has gone down significantly since I bought it too.

The only issue I have with it is that if you use it for blending anything hot, there is a very delicate balance between getting the blade lid on tight enough that it won't leak, but loose enough that when the heat builds up the pressure inside you can still get the (&^# lid off when you're finished. I make Bulletproof Coffee with it often and there have been a couple of times when it took close to 10 minutes (wish I was kidding) of huffing and puffing and struggling to get the lid off (me and hubby both trying!). And I while I am no she-hulk, I don't consider myself particularly weak, either... we keep talking about how we need to get a strap wrench set for this purpose, but haven't managed to follow through yet :blush:
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Sounds like the Osterizer gave you good value, maybe get another from the same company?

I just got this cheapie: http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/appliances/blender-reviews/a28404/hamilton-beach-wave-maker-10-speed-blender/

In addition to not chopping onions well, it isn't great with kale. For smoothies without kale, it's fine. It's ok with ice and frozen blueberries and probably thick stuff. I like that it's lightweight and easy to clean.

It's not a blend and go, though. I almost got this blend and go (by Oster) instead, but needed something for more than smoothies. http://www.amazon.com/Oster-BLSTPB-WBL-250-Watt-Blender-Travel/dp/B004P2OLB8

That said -not that you asked about this, but I don't think you'll get another bunch of decades out of something under $50 these days. Almost every product in the range I wanted to spend had at least some reviewers saying the product burned out after a few years. Disposable stuff. I think the more expensive blenders might do better that way.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Please stop recommending the Vitamix. I cannot afford it.
    Are you sure? Maybe you are shopping in the wrong places?!? It seems by other responses they can afford it between $50-$100. I am only assuming people read your OP accurately and responded with what you can use. hehehe Seriously I am still looking for you but there is a re-used/gently used option out there(local smoothie stands at a farmer's market. . . .hint hint//also, restaurants turning over their equipment so maybe a wholesale provider of hoods/ranges/etc for commercial use may have an option available to you). I use a hand held immersion blender for lesser juices but not ice. Our Ninja meets most of your specs($40 Black Friday deal) except the blend and go aspect. Pull the blade, saran wrap the top reinforce with a rubber band and off you go. Best of luck, happy hunting.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

I do use my blender for a lot of different things, but not as much since I bought my immersion blender. Mostly I have been making protein fluff lately.

This is what I have for my office. I use it to blend ice, water, protein powder and oats. Works like a charm.

link
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I ended up with a Ninja Pro. The model I bought is 1100 watts, 1 regular container and 2 "grab and go" containers so I can use it for the same things I used my Osterizer for as well as my protein fluff (haven't gotten into smoothies).

Did a price comparison and with new customer discounts and free shipping I got it for $78. Bed, Bath and Beyond had it for $95 after my 20% off and Amazon had it for $114 so I think I got the best price for a non-refurbished one.
  • earlnabby
    edited December 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Sounds like the Osterizer gave you good value, maybe get another from the same company?

That said -not that you asked about this, but I don't think you'll get another bunch of decades out of something under $50 these days. Almost every product in the range I wanted to spend had at least some reviewers saying the product burned out after a few years. Disposable stuff. I think the more expensive blenders might do better that way.

I agree. My first microwave lasted 25 years and I expect the current one to last 5 at the most. My Osterizer was used when it was given to me and I have had it for at least 35 years. I doubt if any of their current products will have that longevity since they are no longer made here. I would have considered them if they had exactly what I was looking for.

On a side note (I can derail this because it is my thread), I am always interested in local language. I find it especially interesting why we call things what we do. When I was growing up, every blender was called an Osterizer no matter the brand, and every garbage disposal was an Insinkerator. (Oster manufacturing and Insinkerator both were Racine, WI companies. InSinkErator still is). We also call drinking fountains "bubblers" because of the Kohler Company (another Wisconsin company) selling thousands of their "Kohler Sanitary Bubbling Drinking Fountain" throughout the state, especially for public parks.