Delicate Topic - Whats the best thing for constipation

Options
13»

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    I'm going to be the lone dissenter on fiber.

Check your diet before you go taking more. More fiber can be great if you're not getting enough. It can back you up something fierce if you suddenly and dramatically increase your intake, or you're getting a lot more than necessary.

I'd recommend more fats in your diet. More fat doesn't have the potential to back you up even more. Maybe try the paleo bulletproof coffee for double benefits.

Yes - what many people don't think about; there are different forms of fiber (soluble and insoluble). Each serves a different function. Some people have trouble with one form or the other.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/insoluble-soluble-fiber

http://www.webmd.com/diet/compare-dietary-fibers
  • delivered2015
    delivered2015 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Psyllium Husk, it's all natural fiber. You can get it at Walmart, Walgreens, etc. Metamucil makes one but make sure the main ingredient is Psyllium Husk. It comes in many forms including capsules. Good luck:)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    This may be a little off topic from your original question, but I thought you should know, if you mean the ABC Diet by Robert S. Wieder, that is a diet created as satire by a satire writer. It's a joke.

ABC Diet The ABC Diet created by Robert S. Wieder was developed as a comical response to all the fad diets available. The ABC Diet involves only eating certain foods that begin with the letters A, B and C. The A choices include abalone, antelope, asparagus and apples. B choices include beluga caviar, bouillon, bean curd and baguettes. The C group includes chard, celery, catsup and carrots. This diet was written solely as satire.

10382200.png
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Milk of magnesia followed by warm prune juice works for me. I also have a tea called Smooth Mooves. It works well too.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Calcium citrate- no brainer.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I may be a little after the fact with my response, but here it goes anyway..Green vegetables like spinach and broccoli on a regular basis works for me. Take a look at what kinds of foods you are eating. What doesn't cause constipation for one person may for another. It took me awhile to get used to hanging how I eat and that caused just the opposite effect as I was eating a lot more vegetables. Also one med I take for my Fibromyalgia caused constipation for awhile. I had to change from taking two together to spacing them apart. Now I can take them together and they don't effect me like in the beginning.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    JannyH2 wrote: »
    Its working!!! Magnesium Citrate is potent stuff!!!

Lol :)
    When carbs are cut, sodium often gets low. To try to balance electrolytes, the body use magnesium and potassium. Your body probably needed a it more Mg. :)

Consider adding more sodium to your diet too. 3000mg is a good level for low carbers to start at.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Ground flax seed works for me.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Constipation has different causes, and thus different treatments.

E.g., if the diet has reduced bulk then fibre supplement is a good first choice.
    If narcotics are being taken then stimulant type meds.

Chronic constipation is usually from multiple causes and requires a multi-prong approach: adequate hydration, exercise, bowel retraining, fibre, and increasingly active stimulants depending how refractory the constipation is.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Add some chillies to your food.
  • farmerpam1
    farmerpam1 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    All good advice, lots of water, movement, fiber. I also use fiber gummies on occasion.