Personal trainer .. any spacific diet to follow

Options
Hi all .. i have added 15 kg since i had my baby a year ago .. i struggle to lose 1 kg .. even with gym and good food.. today i have enrolled with a personal trainer and have invest around 1000$ exttra for that .. i wish it will help me to lose my belly and things fat . I have 15 kg fat to lose.. i really wanted to get result with PT 3 times a week and 2 times aerobics as well.. any tips or advise on my food diet plz thank you so much i weight 75 and my hight is 169 cm.. my goal to be 58 kg . Thxx

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you are paying a trainer they should help set up your calories and macros as well as your exercise.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,026 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    If you are paying a trainer they should help set up your calories and macros as well as your exercise.

?? Except for the fact that most trainers have zero qualifications to make nutritional recommendations, so that at best OP will get some one-size-fits-all woo-filled recommendation to eat 1200 calories (or less, or lots more, but whatever the number is it's unlikely to be tailored to her stats and goals) and "eat clean"?

OP, I hope you were allowed some kind of get-to-know-you free training session or something, rather than required to pay out $1000 for a PT without any kind of "test drive" to find out if he/she is a good fit.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

why? trainers are not dietitians nor do they require any sort of nutritional qualifications to be employed as a trainer. most know squat about nutrition anyway.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »

why? trainers are not dietitians nor do they require any sort of nutritional qualifications to be employed as a trainer. most know squat about nutrition anyway.

For $1000 out of pocket, I would expect a nutrition plan and for them to cook it for me :neutral:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,026 Member
    Options

For $1000 out of pocket, I would expect a nutrition plan and for them to cook it for me :neutral:

This is like saying, "I hired my neighbor's 12-year-old as a dog-walker for $1,000, but for that price I'm going to want him to do my taxes and take out my appendix, too." Wouldn't you be better off hiring people who actually have training and experience for the various tasks you're hiring them for?
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options

haha i get what you mean, but realistically not going to happen. also not sure what kind of trainer charges $1,000 out of pocket!?
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

This has been my experience...my one sad, sad experience consulting trainers. I'll stick to asking them how to use work out equipment. Other than that I feel like you're paying them for motivation and accountability.
  • ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Losemission1, start by keeping a food journal. Write down everything you eat and drink for a week or two. This will help you see where you may need to make adjustments. Also pay attention to your portion sizes. eating balanced meals and proper portion sizes will go a long way in helping you reach your goal. Also know that when you first start working out you may not see a big change in your weight. You may be replacing fat with muscle and the scale wont change much. Take a picture of what you look like now then take another one is a month or so. This will give you a better idea of how your body is changing. Best of luck to you
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, the main thing to pay attention to in order to lose weight is eating less calories than you burn. So put your stats into MFP, choose a reasonable goal like 1 lb per week, and eat the calories it gives you. Macros don't directly affect weight loss, but many people find focusing on getting enough protein and/or fat helps them feel full, which makes it easier to eat at a deficit. Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

That isn't their job or specialty... many trainers give very poor nutrition advice.

OP, it is simple (that doesn't mean easy)
    Eat at a small deficit (aim to lose 1lb/0.5kgs/week), eat back most of the burned calories from exercise, get adequate protein (aim for about 0.8 grams per lb of goal body weight), and take part in a progressive strength training routine.
    The above will help you lose weight while maintaining muscle, leading to fat loss.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, the main thing to pay attention to in order to lose weight is eating less calories than you burn. So put your stats into MFP, choose a reasonable goal like 1 lb per week, and eat the calories it gives you. Macros don't directly affect weight loss, but many people find focusing on getting enough protein and/or fat helps them feel full, which makes it easier to eat at a deficit. Good luck!

This is true. I would focus on the enough protein for another reason too. It helps ensure that a larger % of the weight loss comes from fat, instead of losing muscle along with the fat, even more so when combined with strength training.
  • losemission1
    losemission1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

haha i get what you mean, but realistically not going to happen. also not sure what kind of trainer charges $1,000 out of pocket!?

Hi i thank you for your valuable reply .. the PT is already at my GYM i just payed this amount for 30 sessions so trying to get the best fit advise to lose weight as i have been in GYM almost 7 months but without losing weight so i want to give a try and see .. acually my PT is v good she give me tips about what to eat and so but she is not a nutrition to be more deep... i hope this clarify your point thxx
  • losemission1
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

This is true. I would focus on the enough protein for another reason too. It helps ensure that a larger % of the weight loss comes from fat, instead of losing muscle along with the fat, even more so when combined with strength training.

Thxxxx i will do
  • losemission1
    Options
    Losemission1, start by keeping a food journal. Write down everything you eat and drink for a week or two. This will help you see where you may need to make adjustments. Also pay attention to your portion sizes. eating balanced meals and proper portion sizes will go a long way in helping you reach your goal. Also know that when you first start working out you may not see a big change in your weight. You may be replacing fat with muscle and the scale wont change much. Take a picture of what you look like now then take another one is a month or so. This will give you a better idea of how your body is changing. Best of luck to you

Great advise thxxxx