Best garmin watch for triathlons not too pricey too?

Is the vivoactive enough? I like the idea of the 620 or triathlon watches giving recovery time, race simulation, and workout challenges based on your current fitness level and altitude calculations too but some watches are crazy expensive.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    The vivoactive can do all three events separately ... I haven't seen any real reviews of the add on apps that claim to do triathlons as a single event on them. The 620 really isn't a tri watch. The 310 and 910 are obsolete but still get the job done and are available at reasonable prices.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    The vivoactive can do all three events separately ... I haven't seen any real reviews of the add on apps that claim to do triathlons as a single event on them. The 620 really isn't a tri watch. The 310 and 910 are obsolete but still get the job done and are available at reasonable prices.

This.
    I was going to suggest a 910. The price has dropped since the 920 came out.

I do love my 920. Definitely have gotten my money's worth.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    I agree with previous posts. I have the 610 (previous generation of the current 620)... and with some workarounds I can make it work for both training and racing, but it's not a tri watch.

There are some great deals out there on watches. The 910 can probably be picked up fairly cheap as it's the previous generation watch, and I've seen some really good sales on the 920 for black friday/cyber week.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I use a 310, which is about the same price in UK as the VivoActive. Equally I've been seeing the 910 very reasonably priced recently.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    VivoActive won't give you vertical oscillation and some of the more detailed run analysis. It only records pool laps not open water swim. The 920 does those things.

But I have a VivoActive and like it fine. I have had a Polar and Vivo Smart fitness band. I will Open water swim only a few times aside of actual events. So that isn't a big deal at all. The run analysis isn't a big deal either. The Tri Club gives me access to a running coach and a swim coach. I like that better than an app. If you are not running/swimming with coaches on occasion maybe it would matter more?

YMMV.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    If you're looking for a deal on a true multi-sport watch it's hard to beat the 910 (or a 310 if you can find one)
  • brianpperkins
    If you're looking for a deal on a true multi-sport watch it's hard to beat the 910 (or a 310 if you can find one)

910s are going for under $230 with HR strap ... 310s for under $150.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I agree with previous posts. I have the 610 (previous generation of the current 620)... and with some workarounds I can make it work for both training and racing, but it's not a tri watch.

There are some great deals out there on watches. The 910 can probably be picked up fairly cheap as it's the previous generation watch, and I've seen some really good sales on the 920 for black friday/cyber week.

A friend of mine was looking but didn't find any deals on them. We are in Canada though.
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    I'm still using my old 310XT. The thing just won't die! It is a big orange brick. You have to put in your cap for the swimming portion, as the GPS can't receive/transmit under water. GPSCity.com still sells them, for under 200 bucks. Sometimes you can find them much cheaper.

Honestly, if you want a Tri watch, get a Tri watch. Nothing else comes close. But, I'd suggest something a little more current than my orange brick.
  • norcogrrl

Where are you seeing prices like that?
  • brianpperkins
    norcogrrl wrote: »

Where are you seeing prices like that?

Amazon. REI had great deals on the 910 when they went on clearance ... but those are long gone now.
  • norcogrrl

Amazon. REI had great deals on the 910 when they went on clearance ... but those are long gone now.

Thanks. :)
  • brianpperkins

Canadian prices are higher ... not sure how much of that is exchange rate though.
  • norcogrrl

Canadian prices are higher ... not sure how much of that is exchange rate though.

The exchange rate is a miserable beast right now. I just checked, and GPS City Canada does have refurb 910s for $239.95 CAD. That's not a bad price at all. Now my 310 just has to die so I can justify the purchase. :)
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    edited December 2015

Bestbuy was clearing out 910XTs for 150$ a few months ago. I sold my Fenix2 for 200 and it was tough to get that much even.

Keep an eye on Kijiji - lots of guys upgrading to the new models.

Edit: gpscity.ca has a full warranty refurb from garmin for 240. I'd have no problem buying one:

http://www.gpscity.ca/garmin-forerunner-910xt-newly-overhauled.html
  • EatWholeFoods
    EatWholeFoods Posts: 174 Member
    VivoActive won't give you vertical oscillation and some of the more detailed run analysis. It only records pool laps not open water swim. The 920 does those things.

But I have a VivoActive and like it fine. I have had a Polar and Vivo Smart fitness band. I will Open water swim only a few times aside of actual events. So that isn't a big deal at all. The run analysis isn't a big deal either. The Tri Club gives me access to a running coach and a swim coach. I like that better than an app. If you are not running/swimming with coaches on occasion maybe it would matter more?

YMMV.

Thanks I don't realize it doesn't record open water swim. That's good to know! (Vivoactive) think I will get a tri watch then
  • Mecklar75
    Mecklar75 Posts: 183 Member
    edited December 2015
    I just use a fitbit for running, Garmin 500 for biking, and time myself for swimming.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    920xt is the ultimate triathlon watch. I wear mine every day as a regular watch as well. However it is pricey.

The 910xt, being "old" is going to be a solid bet. The prices have come way down.

The vivoactive is probably a decent training watch but it wont help you much on race day as it doesn't have any multi-sport mode.
  • EatWholeFoods

YMMV.

Thanks I don't realize it doesn't record open water swim. That's good to know! (Vivoactive) think I will get a tri watch then
  • EatWholeFoods
    Thanks everyone this was all very helpful