What is your secret that keeps you going?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Having the physical ability to still participate in sports and physical activities (rock climb, swim, etc.) like I did in my younger years. When I was younger, I promised myself (many kids did too) that I wouldn't get "old" and "slow" like my grandparents did.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I get exercise doing things I really love doing.

My job
    Aikido
    Working with horses.

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Because there is no better feeling than nailing a pr that you've spent months working towards.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Being healthy and fit is by far better than the multitude of health issues and crappy blood work I was having before. Being healthy and fit is pretty awesome.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I enjoy being active, particularly hiking, and a life goal of mine is to hike Kilimanjaro. Fitness is going to be important, even if it is the easiest of the seven summits.

Hey I did that! Easiest maybe but I didn't reach the top; too out of shape. Eternal regret. Now I walk/run hills 3 times a week and I just wish I could go back in time or... anyway. It was a great trip and you'll enjoy it

And this type of things is my motivation: not missing out again and again on stuff that fit people can do and to make sure my body can respond for many more years. use or lose it
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My hairdresser says I can still " wear" jeans. I' m 73
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    My mental well-being is dependent on working out and being active. So, it's medication or exercise and I'm fortunate enough to be someone who can manage without medication as long as I exercise.
  • charliepertell
    charliepertell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Put one foot in front of other once I start that's it I'm alive buzzing.it takes my body approx 35 mins to get warmed up proper than I'm on form.x it's the best buzz around .I use to weigh 19.2! Even then I tried to have some form of exercise. It was people that made that difficult but you know what I did this
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Because there is no better feeling than nailing a pr that you've spent months working towards.

This right here. Getting that PR is an incredible high.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    my secret or motivation is that I love food... exercising consistently and hard means I get to eat more without blowing up like a balloon

my second secret is that I am very competitive, mostly with myself, but honestly I like beating other people ;)
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    To crush my enemies. See them driven before me. Hear the lamentations of their women.

The usual stuff...

Although I love this answer above, mine is vanity, sanity and health. In my 20's it was only the first, after two kids and a desk job, I added the second. Once I hit my late forties I added the third.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    What keeps me going is seeing the weight falling off. Seeing my old slim face re-appear in the mirror, the face I haven't seen in over twenty years. And seeing my lower fasting sugar numbers every morning and knowing I am staying off my diabetes medication. Nothing motivates you more than seeing continued success.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've exercised for, gasp, a half century. I like to feel exhausted and drip with sweat. At 61 I'm still working out. I'm working on getting back to maintenance range and staying there. I like being able to do all the workout DVDs as its getting harder and I'm getting slower. I like doing resistance work too. I get up and work out before work and six days s week. It starts my day off perfectly. I don't need partners or other people around, i just do whatever exercise routine I'm into for that decade.
  • Stop1510
    Stop1510 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Being reminded by threads like these in mfp of how good it feels to finish a workout and how much better I feel mentally and physically if I keep at it consistently.
  • cocoradical
    cocoradical Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Maybe at the first couple of months you'll need motivation. But when your body gets used to it, it becomes a lifestyle. No need for motivation. You'll just want to do it. So probably the secret is, just to focus on making it your lifestyle. After that you'll be automatic. Just like eating.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i want to lose weight and be fitter-that's my secret, but it's not a secret at all
  • SparklySarah412
    SparklySarah412 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    For me it's the desire to continually better myself

I must:
    Lift a heavier weight than last time
    Do more push-ups before I collapse in a heap
    Run further than last time
    Run faster than last time
    Finish the workout I couldn't finish last time

At the end of each workout I write down exactly what I did so I can make sure the next one is better.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I don't feel like "me" when I'm heavier. I want to feel like myself and match what I feel on the inside to the outside. I want to be fully confident and for me part of that is having a very fit and healthy body. Also I want to look great in clothes and wear whatever I want! I also want to be able to run and jump and play just as I did as a child; that should never go away.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    My secret is 3 parts:

1) I remember how everything ached when I was heavier. I was slowly killing myself. It was so hard to run for a minute. My parents have medical problems that I don't want. They are old before their time.

2) I am really enjoying finding out what I/my body is capable of. I can lift heavy, bend into crazy poses, climb rock walls, kick bootcamp booty, spin like the devil, enjoy ocrs and play with my nieces and nephew for hours.

3) I don't want my nieces and nephew or anyone else I know, to be unhealthy and shorten their lifespan. I am an example that you can be healthy and do what you love. Also I am the crazy, fun, Aunt and my nieces and nephew need that energy in their lives for at least 50 more years.
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just started lifting in Aug of this year. I love it! Should have found this outlet 20+ years ago. I feel strong, both in and out of the gym. Everyday life is easier. I love that my kids "wanna come to the gym with Mom'. They are 10 and 6. I love that my 10 year poked my left arm the other day and said 'Dang Mom, you have a huge muscle there and it doesn't wiggle anymore!" Kids, gotta love em :smiley: