Options
2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    ydyms wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    I'm not doubting that you would see some results from this program as they tend to be reasonably intense... but as far as optimal or even reasonably optimal... probably not. But, it's a good enough starting point and definitely better than nothing.

You are correct, Body Beast is generally not optimal because it lacks enough frequency.

I have done 2 rounds of it. It's a great beginner program and it was what got me into lifting overall. I gained a lot of strength from it and eventually plateaued since the majority of the program is free weights and only uses an ez bar.

It is focused on compound lifts, but does as in some accessory lifts. But as I mentioned earlier, since it only works body parts once a week, it's not really the most ideal program. Generally, if your goal is optimization, then you should hit the same body part roughly even 48 ish hours.

So what DO you recommend?

It depends on what equipment you have access to.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    The best routine is the one you like enough (or don't dislike enough) to do consistently. They all work to some degree.

Personally, I prefer just lifting weights (I have a weight room at home) and eating towards my goals, rather than doing cardio-based, pre-packaged workouts. But if you like it and will do it, then it'll work fine for you.

Some workouts might work better than others, but in the long run there's only one thing that matters: consistency.
  • VanessaLynn214
    VanessaLynn214 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Body Beast will help, as will Hammer & Chisel. Any Beachbody product works as long as you commit to it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    The best routine is the one you like enough (or don't dislike enough) to do consistently. They all work to some degree.

Personally, I prefer just lifting weights (I have a weight room at home) and eating towards my goals, rather than doing cardio-based, pre-packaged workouts. But if you like it and will do it, then it'll work fine for you.

Some workouts might work better than others, but in the long run there's only one thing that matters: consistency.

^^ this
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know about Hammer and Chisel? Is it abs based or mostly other areas?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Does anyone know about Hammer and Chisel? Is it abs based or mostly other areas?

I have been looking at it but haven't seen much detail on program specifics but I am interested.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I want hammer and chisel as well but I refuse to buy until I see some reveiws of the actual program. Beachbody stuff is not cheap and I need to be sure before I add it to my home workout collection.
  • ydyms
    Options
    I want hammer and chisel as well but I refuse to buy until I see some reveiws of the actual program. Beachbody stuff is not cheap and I need to be sure before I add it to my home workout collection.
    j

They have a 30 day money back guarantee but you need to pay for S&H :(

• Darrensmith_
    Darrensmith_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 7 of Body beast and really love it. I've weight trained for years but it became more difficult fitting in time to get to the gym, train etc when we had a baby (through choice as much as time, the spare time I had I wanted to be at home) I then continued to eat like I was still training and put weight on.

When I got fat (in my terms) I did insanity which was great but wanted to get back into lifting so have built a bit of a gym in the garage. I know in part I'll be getting good results from muscle memory and not just the workouts alone but the workouts are so much more enjoyable in their structure and format than the typical 3 sets of this or that. Can't recommend it enough. Plus as it's at home I'm done in the time it used to take me to just get to and from the gym. In truth if you stick to a good plan and eat well no plan should fail but some are just more enjoyable than others.

I'm doing a lowish carb eating plan and 3 days of 20 minute treadmill HIIT along with it and having great results thus far. 40% Protein, 35% Fat and 25% Carbs. Once I've lost the last bit of belly at the bottom I'll re-do the bulk phase but with the additional calories.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I'm in week 7 of Body beast and really love it. I've weight trained for years but it became more difficult fitting in time to get to the gym, train etc when we had a baby (through choice as much as time, the spare time I had I wanted to be at home) I then continued to eat like I was still training and put weight on.

When I got fat (in my terms) I did insanity which was great but wanted to get back into lifting so have built a bit of a gym in the garage. I know in part I'll be getting good results from muscle memory and not just the workouts alone but the workouts are so much more enjoyable in their structure and format than the typical 3 sets of this or that. Can't recommend it enough. Plus as it's at home I'm done in the time it used to take me to just get to and from the gym. In truth if you stick to a good plan and eat well no plan should fail but some are just more enjoyable than others.

I'm doing a lowish carb eating plan and 3 days of 20 minute treadmill HIIT along with it and having great results thus far. 40% Protein, 35% Fat and 25% Carbs. Once I've lost the last bit of belly at the bottom I'll re-do the bulk phase but with the additional calories.

Holy crap that is a ton of protein.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ditch beach body and get on a heavy lifting program that has progressive overload built into it. I would suggest something like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine.

Why do you say to ditch? It gives me a routine and I'm building muscle.

how do you know you are building muscle?

because a structured heavy lifting program is superior to beach body...
  • Darrensmith_
    Darrensmith_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Holy crap that is a ton of protein.

I know yeah but I find it's the only way to not be counter productive and lose muscle whilst reducing calories and adding in HIIT. Shaping up well.

Without protein shakes it would be tough however managing ok with it and it's working really well. One of Eggs, Fish or Chicken form the major part of every meal and I'm eating Avocado's like never before for the fat.

It's only just over the 1g per lb bodyweight based on my reduced calories of 2000 but when I up the calories it will be more difficult for sure.

All our bodies are different. My wife eats carbs like they're going out of fashion but never puts any weight on despite not exercising. I'm the opposite.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    ditch beach body and get on a heavy lifting program that has progressive overload built into it. I would suggest something like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine.

Why do you say to ditch? It gives me a routine and I'm building muscle.

how do you know you are building muscle?

because a structured heavy lifting program is superior to beach body...

Body beast is actually a fairly structured lifting program. It combines a lot of compound lifts (DL, RDL, Squat, OHP, Chest Press, lunge) with some accessory moves. It adds in single sets, super sets, drop sets, etc... In all fairness, it's a great program for many beginners who only have free weights and while it's not perfect (to enough volume IMO) it's not bad.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 5 of body beast and am falling in love with lifting. It runs 3 months and when I'm finished I'm not sure what I'll go to next but have been looking at the fitness blender and Stronglifts sites. It's a fun program and I have muscles I didn't know existed. I'm older and am taking lifting weights (new to me) slowly. I've bought dumb bells up to 25# and have an ez curl bar and Olympic plates and a stability ball.
  • ydyms
    Options
    I realized that after 3+ weeks of Body Beast, I don't love it. He focuses too much on each area and you only do each about once a week. But I need a structured program or else I won't do it.
    Is SL 5x5 or the likes boring?
    Any program suggestions with DVDs to follow?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I realized that after 3+ weeks of Body Beast, I don't love it. He focuses too much on each area and you only do each about once a week. But I need a structured program or else I won't do it.

This is the reason I transitioned away from Beast. How long have you been lifting? That will determine which program we will suggest.
  • ydyms
    Options

This is the reason I transitioned away from Beast. How long have you been lifting? That will determine which program we will suggest.

Thanks! I'm strength training for years since I was always a runner but nothing too heavy. But consistent.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    If you are an intermediate lifter, i would look into programs like PHUL, Wendler 531, or other upper lower or push pull splits.
  • ydyms
    Options
    If you are an intermediate lifter, i would look into programs like PHUL, Wendler 531, or other upper lower or push pull splits.
    Thanks for the suggestions!