Can't stop eatting cookies

Options
I work at subway and I'm just so obsessed with those cookies. I'll eat like 5-8 a day at work and I'll even put some in a bag to eat the next day. How do i control the madness!!?!?!?!?!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Pre-log one and try harder not to eat so many. I struggle with things like that as well, but 8 is quite a bit. Can you bring your own snacks? Or even a couple oreos instead? I'm sure 2-3 oreos will be less than even one of those cookies.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You can take one bite and throw the rest of it away or plan for it in your daily calorie count.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You can eat as many as you like, so long as you stay within your calorie limit.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

The OP is eating 5-8 of these cookies. I see they are about 210 calories each for the chocolate chip cookies. I'm all for eating cookies, but 1500-1800 calories per day coming from cookies is not really the BEST way to go about weight loss. We don't know the OP's stats, for all we know that could be close to TDEE
  • Orphia
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

The OP is eating 5-8 of these cookies. I see they are about 210 calories each for the chocolate chip cookies. I'm all for eating cookies, but 1500-1800 calories per day coming from cookies is not really the BEST way to go about weight loss. We don't know the OP's stats, for all we know that could be close to TDEE

Thanks for typing that out.

I'm just assuming that the OP will soon get sick of the cookies at that rate of consumption, so it won't be a big deal in the scheme of things.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How many calories in 5-8 subway cookies? 210

So that's 1050-1680 calories

Eat them but log them nd stick to your calorie goal

You will soon get hungry

And then it becomes a cost - benefit ratio

Do I want this cookie more than I don't want to be hungry later?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    An oreo is 47 calories by the way
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I'm just assuming that the OP will soon get sick of the cookies at that rate of consumption, so it won't be a big deal in the scheme of things.

True true
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Eat them one day out of the week instead of all your work days. :) You'll get out of the habit.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What rabbit says is a good approach. Usually I'd say if you screw up write off the day, but if you are trying to stick to a calorie goal and continually eating the cookies, try to stick to the goal with them. I think you will realize why that doesn't work and why you need to eat more satisfying food.

Related to that, you CAN stop eating the cookies. You just have to want to more than you want the cookies. It can be hard because the benefit of eating the cookie is immediate and right there in the moment, and the benefit of not (losing weight or eating something else later and not being hungry) is more abstract or farther away and easy to forget about in the moment. What helps me is to really focus on why you want to lose weight and how you are doing it (the concrete steps you are taking) and how it will help -- I don't usually like time tables for weight loss, but it might help to remind yourself that if you stick with it you will be down X lbs in 3 months (and think of something you will be doing then) and X more lbs in 6 months and so on. Maybe think of the clothes you will buy or some other concrete plus. (And if there are more important reasons, like specific health things, for the weight loss think of that too.)

Some people find it easier not to eat the cookies at all when they have been a trigger food (by which I mean there's a strong habit of eating them in unlimited quantities in a particular environment). What works for me is more like this: decide you can fit in 1 or 2 a day and save them for a special time (I think at the end of the day is good, and then you could bring the cookie you are eating home with you, so there aren't more available) and then eat them after a full and balanced meal, when you aren't as likely to overeat because hungry or to have cravings. Knowing you have that treat waiting for you if you don't blow your calories (so long as there is the space you carved out for them in your day's calories) is incentive not to blow those calories on other things (or the cookies) sooner.
  • reyeswanda151
    reyeswanda151 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

My sweet tooth is ridiculous you don't even know. I could eat an entire cheesecake if my stomach could take all that volume
  • Sued0nim
    Options

My sweet tooth is ridiculous you don't even know. I could eat an entire cheesecake if my stomach could take all that volume

So what?

What do you want?

Cheesecake or weight loss?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    My answer would be both which would mean eating as much cheesecake as my calories allow for
  • Orphia
    edited December 2015
    Options

I eat chocolate or dessert every single day. I make room for it in my calorie allowance. Lost 25 kg and counting since April.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I work at subway and I'm just so obsessed with those cookies. I'll eat like 5-8 a day at work and I'll even put some in a bag to eat the next day. How do i control the madness!!?!?!?!?!

If you feel out of control and if you feel you can't moderate your portions, you might consider getting professional help. Are you severely restricting your intake otherwise?

I've been there before, and what helped me was to learn portion control and that the only power food has over me is the power I give it. It's taken a lot of hard wok to learn not to unconsciously reach for food, but it's been worth it.
  • reyeswanda151
    reyeswanda151 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

So what?

What do you want?

I'm just saying when I start to eat something sugary like those cookies its hard to stop at that moment. And also I did hit a plateau of weight loss somewhere around october, I hadnt lost a pound in like a month even though i was eatting 1200 calories everyday. I ate 2100 calories for a week just to see if it would fix that problem, but i found it difficult to get back on track. I have reduced my intake of cookies to 1-2 a work day these last 5 days. But its harder to ignore the cookies then it was when i was dietting and i dont know why.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I eat chocolate or dessert every single day. I make room for it in my calorie allowance. Lost 25 kg and counting since April.

Me too. I used to severely restrict food groups instead of calories and still gained weight. It was only when I swapped food restriction for calorie restriction have I felt free to moderate those portions. I'm not perfect at it yet, but I lost weight eating sweet stuff each day, and I've maintained for two years this way as well.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

So what?

What do you want?

I'm just saying when I start to eat something sugary like those cookies its hard to stop at that moment. And also I did hit a plateau of weight loss somewhere around october, I hadnt lost a pound in like a month even though i was eatting 1200 calories everyday. I ate 2100 calories for a week just to see if it would fix that problem, but i found it difficult to get back on track. I have reduced my intake of cookies to 1-2 a work day these last 5 days. But its harder to ignore the cookies then it was when i was dietting and i dont know why.

So at 1200 calories you weren't eating cookies cos nutritional balance is tougher at that level

But now you're using 210-420 calories out of 2100 to eat your cookies ...I assume this is after hitting protein and fat macro minimums?

That seems manageable

If you really can't stop though, don't start
  • Orphia
    Options

So what?

What do you want?

When you get money out of the ATM, do you then hold up the tellers at gunpoint to demand more?

When you have a couple of drinks at your end-of-year workplace party, do you then chug a six-pack of beer and do a strip-tease for the boss?

You don't, do you?

You have the ability to control excesses.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find it more helpful and I have fewer out-of-control moments when I focus less on what I'm cutting out of my diet and more on what I need to put into it. Counting my calories, getting enough veggies in my day, trying to reach 90-100 grams of protein daily, watching my micronutrients, etc naturally leaves less room for sweets (though I still make room for them) without the added stress. I used to bring home cookies and eat them all in one sitting. Over time that desire has waned by concentrating less on the cookies and more on the other foods I need to include.

Though I'll agree that if you find yourself seriously unable to stop then it might be time to look at alternate, psychological triggers.