Chocolate Cravings.

Options
So today is only my second day on MFP. I've been doing well so far, but then as the evening approaches I get intense chocolate cravings. I don't even like a lot of sugar to begin with, so I've been eating a few extra dark chocolate chips. But that's not satisfying enough to make the craving go away. Does anyone have any advice? Are there any good low-calorie dark chocolate recipes out there? Thanks! :)

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Quality over quantity.

Invest in some really high quality, high-cocoa content dark chocolate. Some 85%+ dark chocolate, single source, the really fancy stuff. Eat it one square at a time. Take it from a fellow chocoholic: It's satisfying in small amounts if you go for the good stuff.

• seo43
    seo43 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a really good idea, thank you. I feel like I'd value it a lot more as well because it's the fancy kind.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    seo43 wrote: »
    So today is only my second day on MFP. I've been doing well so far, but then as the evening approaches I get intense chocolate cravings. I don't even like a lot of sugar to begin with, so I've been eating a few extra dark chocolate chips. But that's not satisfying enough to make the craving go away. Does anyone have any advice? Are there any good low-calorie dark chocolate recipes out there? Thanks! :)

I let the chocolate chips dissolve in my mouth, one by one. It takes about 45 minutes to eat 70 calories worth of Ghiradelli semi-sweet chips this way and I am completely over wanting chocolate by the time I'm done.

Also, chocolate cravings can be a sign of a magnesium deficiency. In this case, if you want to not crave and eat chocolate as much, you could take a supplement or eat more magnesium rich foods: http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/what-your-chocolate-cravings-could-mean/
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat something like 40 calorie chocolate pudding. ;)
  • seo43
    Options

kshama2001 wrote: »

I let the chocolate chips dissolve in my mouth, one by one. It takes about 45 minutes to eat 70 calories worth of Ghiradelli semi-sweet chips this way and I am completely over wanting chocolate by the time I'm done.

Also, chocolate cravings can be a sign of a magnesium deficiency. In this case, if you want to not crave and eat chocolate as much, you could take a supplement or eat more magnesium rich foods: http://www.drdavidwilliams.com/what-your-chocolate-cravings-could-mean/

That actually makes a lot of sense! The majority of the magnesium rich foods that were on that list are ones that I am very allergic to. I had no idea that it could be a magnesium deficiency, but I think that might be the case. I wouldn't have discovered that on my own, thank you!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I plan my day and have smaller breakfast and lunch so that I always have room for about 150 calories worth of chocolate or dessert.

• Orphia
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

That's not true. Please stop saying that.

http://www.abc.net.au/health/talkinghealth/factbuster/stories/2014/09/08/4083223.htm

Also, People crave sugar and fat. That doesn't mean they have a sugar or fat deficiency.
  • segacs
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I plan my day and have smaller breakfast and lunch so that I always have room for about 150 calories worth of chocolate or dessert.

Me too. 'Cause life is short, and life without chocolate ain't much fun.
  • Orphia
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Me too. 'Cause life is short, and life without chocolate ain't much fun.

Exactly!
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I agree with segacs; buy some good-quality dark chocolate. I am a chocoholic and I bought Lindt's 85% dark and it is so bitter, rich, and delicious. A serving is four squares, but last night, I had two even though I was satisfied after having one.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I add cocoa powder to whatever I can: yogurt, smoothies, . . .
    http://www.ghirardelli.com/unsweetened-cocoa-pouch.html
  • Orphia
    Options
    Oh, no, not the Lindt! @segacs isn't a fan. :) She knows about the real stuff.
  • segacs
    Options
    Oh, no, not the Lindt! @segacs isn't a fan. :) She knows about the real stuff.

Hehe. I used to love Lindt. That was my gateway drug. I've since learned about the even better stuff. But hey, you could do worse than Lindt.

A few of my current faves can be found in this thread. Happy reading. (And eating.)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10013644/fellow-chocoholics#latest
  • seo43
    Options
    I think I need to go fancy chocolate shopping tomorrow. :)
  • segacs
    Options
    I think I need to go fancy chocolate shopping tomorrow. :)

And... my work here is complete. :)