Grr...nightshifts and binge eating

Options
Working a 2 day, 2 night, 4 off schedule...I can't seem to stop myself from eating when I'm working overnight. I try to bring healthy food at night, and have to skip dinner to enable myself to have enough calories for overnight, but always find myself walking over to the snack table for 'a little something' which never turns out to be little..

:(

Replies

• hmoss619
    hmoss619 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Late night snacking urges are my kryptonite! I fought them off tonight but last night got ice cream. I think it's all about taking it one night at a time and keeping the end goal in mind. I don't know what I'd do with working overnights though. Good luck
  • MOMfit4life
    MOMfit4life Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I hated working nights! Charge nurse, 12 hour nights, added stress of complicated deliveries... Grrr But, a few things did help. Gum, gum, more gum. Pre-paled baggies of HIGH protein snacks, on hand @ all times. I.e., 1 or 2 ounce lean meat. Nuts. Cheese. Raw veggies, like carrots, broccoli, celery, baby peppers, & Hummus. Avoid sitting for long proofs of time, without walking. Even walking in place. Hey... Every step counts!

Wishing you new ideas & new adventures! We've got this! Nights need to be tackled one hour at a time. :)
  • Melodieccurn
    Melodieccurn Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I work nights/days. I'm trauma icu nurse. I hear ya with the stress, but rather do a trauma verses a baby delivery. So kudos to you momfit4life.
    I try to plan out my meals into tiny ones. I most of the time must eat on the run but manage to try to eat small snacks . The problem is eating carbs which will give you the crash and you must eat to keep awake.
    I bring fruit, a dinner and a snack for now. I always try to pair a healthy carb with a good protein. yogurt and fruit/ egg with toast ect. I dont eat breakfast til i wake up around 1 or two and always eat eggs or have a protein shake.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I work nights 5 nights a week.. I usually eat a few pieces of fruit and let my brain and willpower take over so I dont eat junk!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Water, coffee, getting up to walk around. Things like these helped me deal with working nights.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    I hated working nights! Charge nurse, 12 hour nights, added stress of complicated deliveries... Grrr But, a few things did help. Gum, gum, more gum. Pre-paled baggies of HIGH protein snacks, on hand @ all times. I.e., 1 or 2 ounce lean meat. Nuts. Cheese. Raw veggies, like carrots, broccoli, celery, baby peppers, & Hummus. Avoid sitting for long proofs of time, without walking. Even walking in place. Hey... Every step counts!

Wishing you new ideas & new adventures! We've got this! Nights need to be tackled one hour at a time. :)

Wow, this is like reading my own bio - nights, charge nurse, complicated deliveries. And I do the same with keeping lots of protein and other good snacks around. We have a 24 hour Starbucks but I avoid it (although our Keurig pot being broken is making that hard). Laps around the unit - 20 equals a mile. Nights can be difficult but not unbeatable.