Help

Options
Im struggling to do excerise as i havent done anything the last year reakly just general walking what can i do to help myself without damaging myself?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Look for low impact workouts. Aqua aerobics, or pool exercise is about as low impact as it gets.

If you don't have access to a pool walking is great.....check out "indoor" walking workouts (Leslie Sansone or Jessica Smith) on YouTube or DVD. These are great to do any time of the day, and in any weather. The nice thing about these is the simplicity allows you to start at your own level and then increase intensity as time goes on. These are more than marching in place, you have knee lifts, side steps, kickbacks, etc. You use your arms too. These videos work different muscles.

www.jessicasmithtv.com/

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy walking you can just extend time/distance that you walk. If you belong to a gym, you can inquire if there's classes for beginners, or go to a personal trainer to get the basics under your belt.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. Start with where you are and then progress a little bit every week. Go for a test walk around the block. Did you experience any pain, shortness of breath? Muscle pain is fine, but dial it back for joint pain. Remember to do your stretches before and after.

Once you can run for a solid minute, you are ready for an eight week running program like C25K.
  • lola30196
    lola30196 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys, i aim to lose about 6 stone but its the fitness side thats getting to me, i want to join the gym after christmas but atm im not fit enough i dont get out of breath just pain in my hips have to stop and rest every 15 mins
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't really have advice for your specific situation but just noticed you said
    lola30196 wrote: »
    have to stop and rest every 15 mins
    and wanted to give a word of encouragement.

I will say that when I first began going to the gym, after 15 minutes on the elliptical (and not a very high resistance, either) I felt like I was going to puke. Now I can go an hour (probably could go more but I think an hour of cardio is enough in one day). So you will get there! Good luck.

• cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Anything you LIKE to do? Start at it slowly...if its the bike, start with 5 minutes. Elliptical...2 minutes (lol...it hurts me long before I get outta breath), etc. whatever it is, START. Reinforce your progress with whatever motivates you...posting on here to get high fives, getting yourself something, taking a spa day...whatever it is you like without food. 2 minutes can easily turn into 60 as you get stronger! I have done it on my personal nemesis (the elliptical). It makes ME wanna puke at a minute and a half, and then as I increase each day I have gotten up to 60-75 minutes in the past! Now, I am back out of shape so I will have to go back to 2 minutes next time I join a gym. Anything you like and want to do...start small. Work at it. If you don't know what you like try EVERYTHING!! Make a bucket list of exercise! Check it off at least a few times a week.