Scared of bad form

Options
Hi Everyone.

A bit about me before I get to my question: I'm a 30 yr old female, been struggling with weight and staying healthy about half my life. Been up and down many times. In February 2015 I re-started getting healthy, by counting calories and joining a gym. My gym routine tends to be cardio-heavy, and I use the weight machines 1x-3x a week (depending how I feel).

What I'd really like to do is learn how to use free weights with compound/full body exercises. I've heard that's better for my core and strength in general, and while I liked the machines at first, I now feel bored and somewhat limited by them.

My problem is, I am SO afraid of bad form/learning to do things wrong and hurting myself. That's why the machines were my first choice to start. I can't afford a trainer (just lost my job) and when I try to watch videos online I can't really watch the video and do the exercise at the same time effectively.

Any suggestions? Should I try online videos again? If so, which ones? If not, what other suggestions do you have? I really don't want to hurt myself (especially worried about my back and knees) and I don't want to learn something wrong and then need to try to re-learn it later. Also, what strength exercises would be best for me, as someone who has been using the weight machines for specific muscles but wants to switch to full-body/compound exercises to strengthen my core and work muscles together in a more natural way?

Thanks everyone!

Kate

Replies

• braves3134
    braves3134 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The three big ones when it comes to compound exercises are squats, dead lifts and bench press, you can look up instructional videos on YouTube that show form, no need to watch them while working out because they are just instructional, not a class or routine per se. If you have a friend that can go to the gym with you or that already goes there they can help you too, tell you if they see any bad form and video taping also helps if you have someone who can video tape you performing the exercise. That way you can go back and watch your form yourself. Good luck, YouTube instructional videos is the way I go
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    If theres a trainer at the gym you can always ask them if they can take a look real quick to check if youre doing it right
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Look at the Youtubes for form and such and do your stuff in the mirrors so you can see if your butt is dropping far enough for a squat. Ask for a short term personal training gift for Christmas, it does help as they will tell you every wrong move you do and then some!! At least a few visits...OR, as an alternative, suck up to the serious lifters in the gym! They will definitely critique you for free!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I completely second youtube. Even if you combine that with a trainer, youtube can explain you the basics and the theory behind it. A trainer can help you get it right in the gym.
    Also, most gyms also have fitness instructors walking around. It is their job to assist people. So you can always ask them.

• Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Get a copy of Rippetoe 'Starting Strength'. The descriptions of form are very detailed, pages of descriptions for each exercise he describes, with drawings showing both good form and the bad form to avoid.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    That's part of the reason people watch themselves in the mirror. You can watch yourself to check your form from some angles; also for the most part, if your form is really bad, you will feel it. I think that some people attribute pain after working out to something OTHER than bad form...that's why the bad form persists.

Finding a workout partner could help...even if that person isn't super knowledgeable, that person can film you...and you can check your own form (or post on here for a check).
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I really like Alan Thrall's videos on youtube for the big lifts. And second Rippetoe's book to read about them. I did a lot of body weight squatting in my living room just pretending to hold a bar to just feel the movement...

And start with really light weights where even if you do it wrong, you're unlikely to hurt yourself.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I second youtube... Also bodybuilding.com has instructional videos on any exercise you want to learn. I mean any exercise!!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I really like Alan Thrall's videos on youtube for the big lifts. And second Rippetoe's book to read about them. I did a lot of body weight squatting in my living room just pretending to hold a bar to just feel the movement...

And start with really light weights where even if you do it wrong, you're unlikely to hurt yourself.

Alan Thrall's are my favorite as well. He shows the lift a million times while doing a voice over instead of talking about it for 10 minutes and then showing it for 10 seconds like many other videos.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Probably a great idea introducing free weights. Machines have their place, but most serious weight trainers tend to migrate toward free weights eventually. They just involve more muscles and open up so many more exercises.

I would also recommend coming up with an actual workout plan, not haphazardly throwing weights around. Stronglifts 5x5 is pretty popular and a great start but there are hundreds online with quality descriptions and justifications. I move around from workout to workout as I get bored and my needs change every few months. That is what makes working out so enjoyable, you get to sculpt your body and see it change.

No need to bring the video with you, study at home and practice the lift without weight. Pay attention to a few main things that for sure you will be warned about in any quality instruction video.
    #1 be careful your back is at the proper angle, as it is pretty easy to put undue stress on the back
    #2 don't go past the recommended range of motion, it is also not a good idea to put stress on the joint and stabilizer muscles
    #3 Choose a safe weight, one that you can lift your decided upon number of reps while staying in good form and at a good slow, steady pace without swinging, cheating with other muscles. This of course will depend on the number of reps you decide on, their are advantages to 5 reps, there are advantages to 15 reps.....it depends on what you decide you want to do.

Nothing will replace a personal trainer, or having a knowledgeable person right there beside you, but there are options.

I will add that people at the gym most likely would be happy to show you if you are willing to ask. I certainly would jump at the chance, but warning....not everyone does it properly themselves :)
  • Isca_1
    Isca_1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Alan Thrall's videos on youtube for the big lifts

Thank you so much! This was great!

I too am struggling with form...doing better and I also recommend the Starting Strength by Rippetoe. Great stuff.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    In addition to the other excellent recommendations, get into the habit of occasionally making a video of yourself lifting working weight. If you're anything like me, what you see in your mind and what your body is actually doing can be very different things.
  • ksmithmn1
    ksmithmn1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Your post caught my attention because when I wanted to start strength training this year I was so scared of doing it wrong and hurting myself as well. I started with a trainer but if you can't afford it I would watch bodybuilding.com videos before working out until you feel confident that you can do the exercises correctly. After I finished with the trainer that is what I started doing.