Weight watchers?

Options
I'm seriously thinking about joining weight watchers. Has anyone had any luck with there diet plan? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Althefitnessguy
    Althefitnessguy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried it and it is almost the same as MFP except they let you pretty much eat as much fruit and veggies as you want. I don't know if that has changed since. MFP checks in on the sugar intake from fruit so I think it is a little bit better.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I did Weight watchers for two years. Lost a total of 40 ish pounds. It works but it is pricey. After being on MFP for a year and a half I am down an additional 80 pounds. For me it was just too easy to over eat on fruits and veggies. They do have calories and should in my opinion be counted.
  • Catfishbabs
    Catfishbabs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    WW is the very first diet I did after my 3rd child was born. I lost 35 lbs in 6 months and became a lifetime member. It was about 27 years ago. I was able to maintain for a couple of years but then because of life events I regained all plus some. I always went back to WW and it always worked to lose but I would regain plus. Now instead of 35 lbs to lose I have 75 but will be happy with 50 if I feel good and am fit. I was actually thinking about going back because they have an updated plan coming out next week. I joined MFP in Oct because I wanted to start sooner and now I am pretty happy here. I have lost 10 lbs. I am have 1200 cals per day and I eat 200 to 300 exercise cals on top of that. I main reason I wanted to go is for the face to face meetings so I may go to a couple meetings with different leaders to see if I lake any and rejoin for a couple months. If I do I will still record my daily food into MFP.
  • Catfishbabs
    Catfishbabs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh and I never liked the points plan. I always did core, now known as simply filling where you did not track points. Eat core foods, stop when full. If not a core point count towards a weekly point allowance. That allows for treats, or not so healthy foods in moderation. The very first WW plan I used was an exchange plan which I liked as it encouraged healthy eating and eating from all food groups.
  • MrsMES10
    MrsMES10 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If you're thinking of joining, wait until next week. New plan being rolled out with a different points formula. I think they are calling it "smart points."
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! After looking at how expensive it is I think I'm just going to do it myself
  • sarahfolts
    sarahfolts Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have done it in the past when they would run a special for $19 a month online. I looked last week to join again and it was $40! So I'm just going to continue to count my calories
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    sarahfolts wrote: »
    I have done it in the past when they would run a special for $19 a month online. I looked last week to join again and it was $40! So I'm just going to continue to count my calories
    If it was $19 I'd join but not for $40
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I did it 8 years ago, lost 40 lbs, I'm a lifetime and by keeping the weight off I get meetings + E tools FREE (close to 7 years)
    So YES I'm a WW success Story, tried many "short cuts" before but didn't last...
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I was on it for 3 years. On and off of course. It is good as a start up. I didn't like it because a lot of the healthy protein were too high for me to eat. I also stop losing weight and I knew it was time for a change since it wasn't working for me anymore. It is good teaching the tools and tips, but I wouldn't stick to it forever
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 pounds on WW 15 years ago and was a leader for a bit. It, like any other program, can work, if you follow it. The points can be confusing, but it does teach you about portion control and not just giving you meals. I learned a lot of recipes, and about a different way to live. Unfortunately for me, life, stress, medications have gotten the better of me and I've gained half of the weight back. I did try to go back to weight watchers, but I just wasn't motivated to follow the plan this time. Now I am doing things differently with medical support and struggle due to some medical issues, but I still think it can be a good plan for those who like a group setting and the support that weight watchers can bring to you.
  • Ruckussjr12
    Ruckussjr12 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing weight watchers. Just started actually today back to MFT because for some reason WW just isnt doing it. I have been tracking and excercising and using my fitbit, but i think somehow WW give me to many points each day. Its just not having the effect i want. Also its not free.

On the other hand my mom is loving WW has lost over 40 lbs in about 6 months and is just doing amazon with it. So i think it just depends on your style.

I do better knowing im eating less calories than i am expending and she loves the points.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Is WW running a promo? I'm only curious because there have been a lot more WW-related threads than usual lately (I don't mean that in a bad way.) I personally find the actual tracking and points vs. calories to be pretty much the same, so if you are doing online only, I'd suggest MFP. The WW meetings can be helpful if you are looking for something in-person.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    WW definitely works, because when I was on it like 8 years ago I did lose about 35-40lbs and got to my lowest weight since elementary school. But now that I'm on MFP I'm much happier and don't need to abide by anyone's rules...
  • bfanny
    edited December 2015
    Options
    ald783 wrote: »
    Is WW running a promo? I'm only curious because there have been a lot more WW-related threads than usual lately (I don't mean that in a bad way.) I personally find the actual tracking and points vs. calories to be pretty much the same, so if you are doing online only, I'd suggest MFP. The WW meetings can be helpful if you are looking for something in-person.

LOL I don't think so since the Promo here is not usually good ;) however I don't see people mentioning MFP on the WW boards...
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    ald783 wrote: »

LOL I don't think so since the Promo here is not usually good ;) however I don't see people mentioning MFP on the WW boards...

Ha which WW boards do you post on? They've been my jam for years but they're much quieter these days. I got sick of how bad the WW app (and website) are and constantly whine about WW on the WW boards and switched to MFP, but then find myself getting defensive on here when people complain about WW.
  • bfanny
    Options
    Yeah I heard so many complains about the new app, I'm lucky I'm still using the old one, anyways I can track in paper, that's how I got to my original goal in the first place! And also many posters moved to Facebook and thats why is quiet
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Since the new program and the new app isn't going into effect until December 6, there is nothing to complain about at this point. The new SmartPoints calculations are going to take into account saturated fat and sugar so there are going to be lots of complaints about the increase in points for junk with little nutritional value.
  • Jussilu
    Jussilu Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Also, weight watchers is about the leader .........there are good ones and not so good ones. I find that makes a difference.
  • bfanny
    Options
    Since the new program and the new app isn't going into effect until December 6, there is nothing to complain about at this point. The new SmartPoints calculations are going to take into account saturated fat and sugar so there are going to be lots of complaints about the increase in points for junk with little nutritional value.

"some" people got an early app update