Pie-yo!

Options

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    All the pies!!!!

When pie is well made, it is truly ethereal. I forgot about the cold cream pies - coconut, chocolate and peanut butter! With thick graham cracker crusts...oh my.

But, alas, there are those shunned pies...for me that would be shoo fly & pumpkin. :s

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Pecan pie people, if you are ever somewhere that has oatmeal pie you might want to try it. I've had it down in Amish country a few times and, IMO, it tastes a lot like pecan pie (without the pecans.)

I'm scared. Amish make that shoo fly pie or whatever it is called, and it is not good.

Lol. I promise it is tasty!

Doesn't shoo fly pie have cloves in it? Cloves are the devil's playthings. Blech.

Nope, no cloves (at least, the recipes from Lancaster, PA don't have any)

Lots and lots of molasses. Sometimes people use blackstrap molasses and the pie is both really bitter and really sweet.

My parents love shoo-fly pie (grew up with it). I loathe shoo-fly pie. However, I do love a shoo-fly cake recipe that I have out of 'Vintage Cakes'. It's similar to a gingerbread cake but more molasses-y, less spicy. Not very sweet.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Pecan pie people, if you are ever somewhere that has oatmeal pie you might want to try it. I've had it down in Amish country a few times and, IMO, it tastes a lot like pecan pie (without the pecans.)

I'm scared. Amish make that shoo fly pie or whatever it is called, and it is not good.

Lol. I promise it is tasty!

Doesn't shoo fly pie have cloves in it? Cloves are the devil's playthings. Blech.

Nope, no cloves (at least, the recipes from Lancaster, PA don't have any)

Lots and lots of molasses. Sometimes people use blackstrap molasses and the pie is both really bitter and really sweet.

My parents love shoo-fly pie (grew up with it). I loathe shoo-fly pie. However, I do love a shoo-fly cake recipe that I have out of 'Vintage Cakes'. It's similar to a gingerbread cake but more molasses-y, less spicy. Not very sweet.

I might have been thinking of mincemeat pie. Ick. I don't think I've tried shoo fly pie now that I think about it.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »

But, alas, there are those shunned pies...for me that would be shoo fly & pumpkin. :s

I love pumpkin :blush: but I've never tried shoo fly or mincemeat. Hmmm, may have to look into some of these new ones for Christmas, lol
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Pecan, pumpkin, apple, peach.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Pecan. Nothing can compete for me.

This!

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Blueberry - or a berry mix with raspberries, blueberries & blackberries.

And double crust

Not a fan of anything 'fluffy' (most chocolate pies, creme pies, etc)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    A pie from the Canadian prairies, developed in the dust bowl during the depression.

flapperpie6.jpg

Flapper pie. Graham cracker crust, custard base, and meringue topping. I suspect the farmer's wife had eggs when there was precious little else on hand.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Cream Cheese Pecan pie. Plain Pecan pie is too sweet for me.

I tried butterscotch pie for the first time this year and it was pretty good.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Gonna try the Double cream blueberry pie at Marie Callendar's today!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Do it! It's super yummy!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Rhubarb custard with crumb topping.

Rhubarb-Remix-Pie.jpg

This looks fantastic...

For me it's creme brulee or custard pie

052911+edited+B.jpg

And pear frangipane tarts

pear-tart.jpg

But pecan is a close third... but I really like most pies (except blueberry for some reason).
  • kcpiegirl
    kcpiegirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh man. Cherry pie, chocolate cream pie, coconut cream pie, key lime, peach pie, Australian meat pies... Seriously, you could probably wrap an old muddy boot in a pie crust and I'd be all over it.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Blueberry pie is my fave. Peach pie is second, which is weird, because I'm not a big peach fan generally. And I'm just gonna throw in cheesecake, because while the name says "cake" it eats like a pie to me :)
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Pecan :)
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Or just forget the crust entirely and eat the creamy goodness. Coconut cheesecake custard...

4mu5ynf22dj1.jpg
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Chocolate bourbon pecan pie is my favorite. Followed by key lime and lemon meringue.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin pie covered in so much whipped cream that you can't even see the pie.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Mincemeat pie, heavy on the brandy. A little dab'll do you.
  • MelanieBinnall
    MelanieBinnall Posts: 31 Member
    Options

ki4eld,

Can you please post the recipe for the coconut cheesecake custard?

Thanks,
    Mel