Herniated disc with Sciatica.. Has anyone gone through this??

Options
Hello I'm 3 1/2 months into a S1hernisted disc.. I am willing to try anything but surgery . I'm doing decompression treatments now..
Looking for support .. And personal experience.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Currently suffer a mild form of it since my 20's. If I don't exercise, it bothers me more. Haven't considered surgery at all, but if it continues to increase in pain, I will.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I injured myself 10 years ago. When I started incorporating regular exercise into my life 4 years ago my sciatica doesn't bother me anymore. I found Pilates, lower back exercises and stretches helped me a lot.

I hope you feel better.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I had an accident a few years back that left me with scar tissue that just "pulls me" the wrong way whenever I move the wrong way causing repeated herniation. I really don't have much to say because I HAVE tried everything in the past. Some things give me a temporary relief other things speed up the healing time between herniations, but nothing can make it go away completely.

I've been dealing with this for years, and learned to instinctively modify my movements to cause less pain. Now your case is probably not chronic like mine, but just give it time. You will either gradually get better (could take up to 2 years, but by the 6 month mark the pain should be mild and manageable) or learn to live with it where it becomes a normal part of your life. For example I work from home and do my job lying down on the bed just because I cannot sit long enough to tolerate an office job, and I'm surprisingly fine with that, even happy. Some days I can work out other days I can't, and I'm still happy. Going out is a pain because I can only handle certain types of seatings, and I still go out and enjoy it. It's really amazing how humans adapt. If your issue turns out to be chronic (and I hope it isn't) just know that a few years from now it will be nearly a non-issue.

One of the things I noticed is that brisk walking tends to speed up the healing time for me, but I instinctively pull in my stomach while walking, well not exactly pull in, more like contract my lower belly muscles inward to form some sort of "stability guard", so this may contribute to the effect as well.
  • chinsinsi
    chinsinsi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I suffered with debilitating sciatica pain for a year. I had three steroid injections which brought temporary relief. I was stoic until my two smallest toes started curling under and I couldn't feel them. My surgeon called 'time' and scheduled my op that month. When I came round I was amazed at the instant absence of sciatic leg pain. But it IS a major intervention (I had the disc removed) and it took me a long time to get over it. However, 18 months later I won three events in my tennis club's veterans tourney. Stiff back, particularly on waking, dogged me for years until I strengthened my core muscles with weight lifting. Nine years on, I'm strong and flexible, never had a sniff of sciatica since. So grateful to my surgeon.
    FYI - I herniated my disc twisting my body suddenly to run and climb on top of my car - trying to escape a wild boar charge in the middle of the night! I knew I'd done something bad straight away.
  • jamesbroo
    jamesbroo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, I want to share my experience of how I dealt with sciatica pain.

I had suffered from sciatica pain for almost 2 years. The pain was so bad that I don't want to remember that part of my life. Thankfully, my pain is gone.

As a busy person I had no time to hire therapist to get massage, acupuncture or do yoga class. I took a lot of painkillers and steroid injections, well, the pain was weaker but I was still suffering. So I did a research hoping to find an alternative treatment for sciatica and found an ebook about natural sciatica treatments without painkillers and injections. It had a lot of positive feedback from people of all ages. The majority of them claimed that they completely got rid of sciatica pain in one week or less. Comparing how long I suffered from sciatica and how fast I can get a pain relief, I gave it a try. I found it on google and purchased it.

I'm thinking now that I've done the best decision in my life. I carefully followed everything that was written in this ebook, did specific exercises, streches, sleep therapy and my sciatica pain went away after one week! I remember I was so happy like child who received a candy! :)

If you are suffering from sciatica pain too, then you can access a review of that ebook here:

http://dietandhealthreviews.com/sciatica-sos-review/

Hope this will help you to deal with sciatica pain, have a great day! :)
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    With my massage therapy clients walking is what works the best. Keep you body moving, learn to sleep in a manner that does not irritate it by propping yourself up with pillows under or between knees, and sit with good posture. Even if you have to wear a belt/brace/tape for a short time until you remember to hold good posture, it is an amazing thing to learn.
  • Gogohobbs
    Gogohobbs Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    jamesbroo wrote: »

I had suffered from sciatica pain for almost 2 years. The pain was so bad that I don't want to remember that part of my life. Thankfully, my pain is gone.

As a busy person I had no time to hire therapist to get massage, acupuncture or do yoga class. I took a lot of painkillers and steroid injections, well, the pain was weaker but I was still suffering. So I did a research hoping to find an alternative treatment for sciatica and found an ebook about natural sciatica treatments without painkillers and injections. It had a lot of positive feedback from people of all ages. The majority of them claimed that they completely got rid of sciatica pain in one week or less. Comparing how long I suffered from sciatica and how fast I can get a pain relief, I gave it a try. I found it on google and purchased it.

I'm thinking now that I've done the best decision in my life. I carefully followed everything that was written in this ebook, did specific exercises, streches, sleep therapy and my sciatica pain went away after one week! I remember I was so happy like child who received a candy! :)

If you are suffering from sciatica pain too, then you can access a review of that ebook here:

Gogohobbs wrote: »
    Hello I'm 3 1/2 months into a S1hernisted disc.. I am willing to try anything but surgery . I'm doing decompression treatments now..

• Gogohobbs
    Options
    I can't respond to any of your posts.. I really need to be able to! How do I do that?
    I am overwhelmed by the responses.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    I would be wary of anything that says you can "cure sciatica in 7 days", especially by a first time poster. You cannot cure sciatica in 7 days, not gonna happen no matter how much you want it to happen. Save your money and don't click that link.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    I can't respond to any of your posts.. I really need to be able to! How do I do that?
    I am overwhelmed by the responses.

When you press quote, the post you quoted gets copied into the text field, and then you could just write normally after the [/quote] tag to add your reply
  • Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If I dont continue to move it bothers me really bad. I have to stretch really good afterwards as well. Body in motion stays in motion. I got to the point where I was powering threw my workouts even though it hurt. It eventually stopped and now it only gives me problems when I haven't ran, walked, or did some kind of exercise.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have NRB (nerve root block) done for my pain. I had my 1st NRB in the late 90's and it's still working.
  • luckydadof5
    luckydadof5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know most are scared of back surgery but it gave me my life back... I suffered from chronic pain and decided to get a back fusion. They fused L4-L5-S1 together and although it was a long recovery I am very happy I did it. 13 years later I am still pain free. Since then they have improved the technique. At the time I was in my early thirties and I figure if there was a chance to get rid of my pain then I will take it. Best thing I could have done... just thought I would post a success story to a scary option...
    Cheers all
  • Gogohobbs
    Options
    Tha[nk you for your input. I've been down 4 months now.
    I. Am doing decompression and light stretching. The pain down my leg is so bad sometimes I stay in bed a lot.
    Thanks again!
    quote="Gogohobbs;34754402"]

[/quote]

I know most are scared of back surgery but it gave me my life back... I suffered from chronic pain and decided to get a back fusion. They fused L4-L5-S1 together and although it was a long recovery I am very happy I did it. 13 years later I am still pain free. Since then they have improved the technique. At the time I was in my early thirties and I figure if there was a chance to get rid of my pain then I will take it. Best thing I could have done... just thought I would post a success story to a scary option...
    Cheers all
    Cheers all
    Jg04811 wrote: »
    If I dont continue to move it bothers me really bad. I have to stretch really good afterwards as well. Body in motion stays in motion. I got to the point where I was powering threw my workouts even though it hurt. It eventually stopped and now it only gives me problems when I haven't ran, walked, or did some kind of exercise.
    amy_kee wrote: »
    I have NRB (nerve root block) done for my pain. I had my 1st NRB in the late 90's and it's still working.
    amy_kee wrote: »
    With my massage therapy clients walking is what works the best. Keep you body moving, learn to sleep in a manner that does not irritate it by propping yourself up with pillows under or between knees, and sit with good posture. Even if you have to wear a belt/brace/tape for a short time until you remember to hold good posture, it is an amazing thing to learn.