Losing 30lbs in two months

Is losing 30 lbs in two months possible? Or its just another procrastination ........

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    :| No
  • katzunghope
    katzunghope Posts: 28 Member
    :( IKR!!! Thanks anyways
  • adriennemarieb
    adriennemarieb Posts: 38 Member
    It would depend on a whole lot of factors, such as your starting weight. A typical healthy weight loss goal is 1 lb/week. If you haven't been eating well or drinking enough water, you may initially lose ~5 lbs just in water weight in the first couple of weeks.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Not a good idea, even if possible (no). Lose the weight slowly and keep your muscle, hair, etc. Why ruin your body with a VLCD?
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    It's possible, but a very lofty goal, especially if you only have 30 pounds to lose.

2 pounds a week is about 8-10 per month. For most people I would think this was the safe maximum.

Maybe you should dicuss you situation with a doctor to figure out what's right for you.
  • katzunghope
    I am 5 7 and weigh 180 pounds! May be I should take it slow and steady....
  • adriennemarieb
    adriennemarieb Posts: 38 Member
    edited December 2015

That's what wins the race! At your weight, I'm not sure it's actually possible unless you did something unreasonably drastic.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    To provide some perspective, this was/is my situation. I had the chance to take some time off in between jobs, about 3 months. So I was able to get plenty of sleep, time to make meals at home, time to go to gym, little stress. So a lot of stars were aligned. I set MFP to a goal of 1.5 lbs/week and ate to that goal on average (not eating back exercise). I hit the gym every day, sometimes twice, for anywhere between 30 min and 90 min of cardio in total. And with all that, I consistently have been losing 10 lbs/month. For reference, I'm 6' and started at 227 with a goal weight of 175.
  • WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    I am 5'6" and am just under 170lb. I have MFP set to lose 1lb/week, and I'm finding it pretty easy to stick with my calories and not feel hungry all of the time, or deprived. 1.5lb/week would probably be manageable, but I like to eat :smiley: Slow and steady has been easy for me, and it really makes me wonder why I spent so many years not doing anything about my weight!
  • katzunghope
    To provide some perspective, this was/is my situation. I had the chance to take some time off in between jobs, about 3 months. So I was able to get plenty of sleep, time to make meals at home, time to go to gym, little stress. So a lot of stars were aligned. I set MFP to a goal of 1.5 lbs/week and ate to that goal on average (not eating back exercise). I hit the gym every day, sometimes twice, for anywhere between 30 min and 90 min of cardio in total. And with all that, I consistently have been losing 10 lbs/month. For reference, I'm 6' and started at 227 with a goal weight of 175.

Did u use to run on the treadmill or do weight training??? Thats pretty inspiring!
  • bri170lb

I'm 5'8". I started at 300. In the beginning it was easy to lose 2 pounds a week on 1200 calories a day. Now I am 185. I am losing 1 to 1.5 per week. I still eat 1200 calories and now I exercise 6 days a week.

You have to remember that when you get closer to you goal weight, your body doesn't need to use as many calories as when you were heavier. The lighter you are, the less fuel it takes to be alive.

With only 30 pounds to lose, you would have to risk malnutrition to lose weight that fast, or injury from over exercising.

Also, remember that if you don't make real, sustainable changes in your habits as you are losing the weight, you will just gain it back. Slow and steady is a much better choice.
  • katzunghope
    bri170lb wrote: »

I'm 5'8". I started at 300. In the beginning it was easy to lose 2 pounds a week on 1200 calories a day. Now I am 185. I am losing 1 to 1.5 per week. I still eat 1200 calories and now I exercise 6 days a week.

You have to remember that when you get closer to you goal weight, your body doesn't need to use as many calories as when you were heavier. The lighter you are, the less fuel it takes to be alive.

With only 30 pounds to lose, you would have to risk malnutrition to lose weight that fast, or injury from over exercising.

Also, remember that if you don't make real, sustainable changes in your habits as you are losing the weight, you will just gain it back. Slow and steady is a much better choice.
    Thanks for the helpful words! Whats ur exercise routine?
  • bri170lb
    I change it up monthly.

Last January I started walking-15 minutes a day-on a treadmill.

Since then I built up to walking 1 hour or more per day. I went from jogging 1/10th of a mile in May to jogging an entire 5k in August. I have done Aqua-fit and Zumba and joined a gym. I have a goal to run 1 5k race each month between May 2015 and May 2016.

I like to set goals for myself, write them down and post them so I can't fogot and then keep track on a calendar so I can see how hard I am working and how far I've come.

In November my goal was to walk and/or jog 30 miles per week. That's the total for my whole day according to my fitbit. I work a desk job, so I really had to put in a lot of effort to make it happen. I did good! I actually did just under 35 miles each week!

This month I am doing 3 days at the gym lifting weights (at least an hour) and 3 days doing any kind of cardio (at least a 1/2 hour) Plus I am doing a 30 day Ab Challenge app on my phone.

There are groups here on MFP that run weight loss and fitness challenges that last for a certain period of time. I did one in June with teams of people. You got points for meeting your personal weightloss goals and for completing different challenges each week. It was fun and helped me get over my fear of taking fitness classes and going to the gym. I just had to get those points for my team!

My favorite thread here is. "Just for today --- daily commitment thread" . My biggest secret is that I do it one day at a time.

I wish you the best of luck as you figure out what works best for you.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    Is this question for real?
  • katzunghope
    bri170lb wrote: »
    I change it up monthly.

Last January I started walking-15 minutes a day-on a treadmill.

Since then I built up to walking 1 hour or more per day. I went from jogging 1/10th of a mile in May to jogging an entire 5k in August. I have done Aqua-fit and Zumba and joined a gym. I have a goal to run 1 5k race each month between May 2015 and May 2016.

I like to set goals for myself, write them down and post them so I can't fogot and then keep track on a calendar so I can see how hard I am working and how far I've come.

In November my goal was to walk and/or jog 30 miles per week. That's the total for my whole day according to my fitbit. I work a desk job, so I really had to put in a lot of effort to make it happen. I did good! I actually did just under 35 miles each week!

This month I am doing 3 days at the gym lifting weights (at least an hour) and 3 days doing any kind of cardio (at least a 1/2 hour) Plus I am doing a 30 day Ab Challenge app on my phone.

There are groups here on MFP that run weight loss and fitness challenges that last for a certain period of time. I did one in June with teams of people. You got points for meeting your personal weightloss goals and for completing different challenges each week. It was fun and helped me get over my fear of taking fitness classes and going to the gym. I just had to get those points for my team!

My favorite thread here is. "Just for today --- daily commitment thread" . My biggest secret is that I do it one day at a time.

I wish you the best of luck as you figure out what works best for you.

Thank you so very much!!!!!
    And keep rocking it!! Thats alot of devotion by you...keep it up :)

• johnhenry883
    johnhenry883 Posts: 11 Member
    edited December 2015
    Is losing 30 lbs in two months possible? Or its just another procrastination ........

Possible yes...healthy no. When losing weight it is best to go slow. I really question shows like the biggest loser where they encourage drastic and rapid weight loss.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Well, yes, you can do this, but you would need to be pretty far into morbid obesity first. If you were starting at 380 lb, you probably could make it fairly easily down to 350 within two months with a relatively high calorie limit every day.

Starting at 180, no.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Maybe 15 lbs in 2 months would be a much more reasonable goal.
  • katzunghope
    Thank you guys.....i think I need to give myself more time for it....!
  • shaynataggart
    shaynataggart Posts: 71 Member
    possible, yes. Sustainable? probably not