Depression will not stop the weight! !

Options
I battle with depression, which if you have experienced it you know it can influence your eating. I'm looking for women who would like to communicate about the emotional struggle as well as the physical challenges.
I started off at 268 my highest weight. .. lost 93 lbs using this app and counting the calories for 18 months. I got sick and then recovered and started indulging myself. I am now back at 230!! I would like to lose 100 lbs within the next 18 months and keep it off :) We can do this with support. Also, side note I have NO gym membership. I use household products and it helps that my husband was a drill sergeant in the Army so I will be more then happy to share anything to help anyone. I would be fine with Skype and other forms of communication so that we can really have that someone that understands what we are going through and to make it easier to share exercises and forms. Look forward to hearing from everyone! ! :)

Replies

• sheena_112
    sheena_112 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also struggle with depression as well as anxiety. I absolutely know what it is like to emotionally eat and be so tired from the depression to work out. I have had enough though and I need to change for myself and my children. At my heaviest I was 210. I gained all that weight from being on meds and not caring what I ate. I got back down to 155 a couple of years later but these past two years have been a struggle for me. I am now at 185. My goal is to lose 40 lbs in the next 6 months. I don't have a gym membership. I have a treadmill here at home along with work out dvds. I plan on rotating between them 4 days a week. It would be awesome to have others along with me on this journey. :)
  • brriittany
    brriittany Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome goal and very realistic. Emotional eating for me is not eating all day because I feel disgusted with myself and don't like to eat in front of others, so I used to wait until eveyone went to bed and binged. I am off all meds now and have not binged this week. Unfortunately it is a day to day struggle for me, any thing that triggers a panic attack can set me into a spiraling fall. I'm learning just getting up and walking makes me feel better, even if it's just around my house. If there is anything I can do please let me know :) I believe in you and know that next summer we will all be in bikinis!!
  • lilkirs
    lilkirs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Definitly can relate to you guys! Walking is so good. It's like a breath of fresh air! Keep going guys!
  • LBL1986
    LBL1986 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    So glad someone started this thread! I also have depression and anxiety. About 2 years ago a doctor prescribed me a medication for sleep which had the side effect of weight gain. I put on 20 pounds and then due to stress eating and lack of consistent exercise I have heaped another 20 on top of that!

I've used this app off and on for years but was never really consistent but now I want to connect more with people who can motivate me. I am currently 221lbs (my heaviest ever :( ) and I'd like to lose at least 50 pounds. It seems so daunting as I've never had to lose this much weight before. Any tips you have would be so helpful.

• brriittany
    Options
    Thank you lilkirs for the support and welcome! !

LBL WELCOME!! I'm currently 229.5 my highest weight was 268... it is very possible to win this battle! ! I'm looking to get to 150 so I have a long road but with each others support we can all do it! I got really upset this morning and started to grab my phone for a game but instead grabbed my shoes, music and walked. .. I ended up walking 1 1/2 miles! !!! I walked until I didn't feel the anger and anxious feelings anymore. I used to fill those feelings with food or other toxins.

I started this thread to find support and to give support. WE CAN DO THIS!!!
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I struggle with depression also and a mood disorder. I emotionally eat all the time that's what ballooned me up to 271 so far I've lost 7.3 lbs. I hve 100lbs to loss also. But I've finally made up my mind I'm going to do it this time! I'm hoping once I lose the weight I can go off some of my depression meds!
  • ChamayneF
    ChamayneF Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with depression this past summer and I find it hard to motivate myself to start over...again. I started out at 248 lbs at my highest and over the course of a year got down to 193lbs. However I didn't go about it in the healthiest way, I over-exercised and ate way too little calories and I was always exhausted and sore because of it. I couldn't maintain that extreme way of doing things and eventually I stopped working out at all and emotionally ate. I'm not sure how much of the weight I gained back (because I'm avoiding replacing the batteries in my scale lol) but judging by how my clothes fit now I'd say I gained most if not all of it back.

Three days ago I started using this app again but I get discouraged when I think of how much I have to lose yet again. I know that I feel better after I work out but I still find it hard to get myself up and out to do so. My goal weight is 160 lbs and this time I'm trying hard to resist the perfectionist all or nothing mentality that has failed me so many times in the past.
  • lilkirs
    lilkirs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    No problem Brriittany. We can do this the only thing stopping us is US. We have to realise this is a long term change and a life long commitment because if we stop we will just go back to our old ways! I can definitely relate to all of you. Depression sucks! And it's a struggle to sometimes even get up in the morning, but focus is key!!! We can do this!
  • findingmyway2fit
    findingmyway2fit Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So happy to see this thread this morning! I struggle with depression and emotional eating as well. It seems like I get off to a good start and then everything falls apart. I am so tired all the time, and even after iron supplements, B12, etc., nothing seems to help. I know it is depression related, and the is, I WANT to work out, I just don't have the energy. It's an endless cycle. Please feel free to add me--I need the support and will be happy to provide it as well.
  • ShashayLee
    ShashayLee Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Depression sucks doesn't it? I can lose weight when i'm happy & positive but once i get down it becomes really difficult to stay on course. December for me is the hardest. I'm trying to stay on track even when i'm down but it's really hard to get over the "what does it matter" blues. However i am down 69 pounds since May 26 & i am very positive over this. This is my umpteenth weight loss journey but this will be the successful one. All the best to you all & feel free to add me if anyone needs some extra help :)
  • brriittany
    Options
    I struggle with depression also and a mood disorder. I emotionally eat all the time that's what ballooned me up to 271 so far I've lost 7.3 lbs. I hve 100lbs to loss also. But I've finally made up my mind I'm going to do it this time! I'm hoping once I lose the weight I can go off some of my depression meds!

Welcome!! YOU CAN DO THIS!! Congratulations on your 7.3lbs!! Snaps for you! !! I invite you and everyone else to friend me and email me anytime with any questions or vents!! So glad you're here with us :)
  • brriittany
    Options
    shemanef wrote: »
    I was recently diagnosed with depression this past summer and I find it hard to motivate myself to start over...again. I started out at 248 lbs at my highest and over the course of a year got down to 193lbs. However I didn't go about it in the healthiest way, I over-exercised and ate way too little calories and I was always exhausted and sore because of it. I couldn't maintain that extreme way of doing things and eventually I stopped working out at all and emotionally ate. I'm not sure how much of the weight I gained back (because I'm avoiding replacing the batteries in my scale lol) but judging by how my clothes fit now I'd say I gained most if not all of it back.

Three days ago I started using this app again but I get discouraged when I think of how much I have to lose yet again. I know that I feel better after I work out but I still find it hard to get myself up and out to do so. My goal weight is 160 lbs and this time I'm trying hard to resist the perfectionist all or nothing mentality that has failed me so many times in the past.

Welcome! !! First and most important, Thank you for sharing your story with us. I overcame bulimia and binge eating, I still have to fight the urge even though I haven't done it for over 10 years. Together we can all get to the point that we are trying for and Maintain it!!! :) I offer my email and phone number to anyone in the US that needs that voice or instant response. And the only thing I can say about jump starting your motivation is just get through the first 3 days then it gets to where you look forward to that time. You are worth the investment!!! :)
  • brriittany
    Options
    lilkirs wrote: »
    No problem Brriittany. We can do this the only thing stopping us is US. We have to realise this is a long term change and a life long commitment because if we stop we will just go back to our old ways! I can definitely relate to all of you. Depression sucks! And it's a struggle to sometimes even get up in the morning, but focus is key!!! We can do this!

That's right!! We can and we WILL!! ;) We can motivate each other!!
  • brriittany
    Options
    So happy to see this thread this morning! I struggle with depression and emotional eating as well. It seems like I get off to a good start and then everything falls apart. I am so tired all the time, and even after iron supplements, B12, etc., nothing seems to help. I know it is depression related, and the is, I WANT to work out, I just don't have the energy. It's an endless cycle. Please feel free to add me--I need the support and will be happy to provide it as well.

Welcome !!! We have probably all gone on that personal Rollercoaster of weight loss, you are not alone!! ;) First thing I do in the morning to energize myself if take a shot of grapefruit juice and I don't allow myself to leave my room in my jam jams, I put my exercise clothes on and that way it sets the mood. I am a SAHM so I am here 24/7 if you need anything. Weight loss is hard enough with out the added stresses that we all on here are experiencing, you have already taken the biggest step and that is starting the journey. ;) One thing I found is if you want a quick little pick me up, while in the kitchen cooking or waiting on soemthing to warm up I do counter top push ups. It makes me feel less guilty about the cookie or bacon I love!! :)
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I struggle with depression and anxiety. I lost around 140 lbs and have kept it off for over a year.
  • brriittany
    Options
    ShashayLee wrote: »
    Depression sucks doesn't it? I can lose weight when i'm happy & positive but once i get down it becomes really difficult to stay on course. December for me is the hardest. I'm trying to stay on track even when i'm down but it's really hard to get over the "what does it matter" blues. However i am down 69 pounds since May 26 & i am very positive over this. This is my umpteenth weight loss journey but this will be the successful one. All the best to you all & feel free to add me if anyone needs some extra help :)

Welcome!! Shashay let say first.. you matter and you are worth the work and time. We will succeed with support and helping each other. We will lose the weight and punch the blues away!! :) Very happy you are in our group. :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    There's a pretty long, but really good, thread on depression and weight loss on the General Diet and Weight Loss board. Might be worth a read. :smile:

Lots of support, you are so much more than depression and more than a number on a scale. Cheers to getting healthy on many levels!!! :smiley:
  • takingcareofus
    takingcareofus Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Depression is an interesting creature, affecting habits - eating, self-care, cooking, energy, motivation, sleep.
    One day at a time, one choice at a time.
    Sign Me Up!
  • Photograhicsoul
    Photograhicsoul Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am so with this. I don't have quite as much to lose, but I dance so it does matter a lot to me. I am 154 right now, I think, and I want to take off 20, may be 30lbs. Which I know doesn't sound quite as much as a 100, but I still have been struggling to take off any weight. I have build muscle, I have more energy...but the weight is another thing. Every time I lose some, I get right back to bad habits, and reverse. Finally I'm getting back to it again since last week, and I've already seen results, so I am optimistic that perhaps this time I am ready for change. I would like to have lost at least 10lbs, perhaps 15, by mid-february. I would even like to say 20, but let's not push it.
    I do get the emotional eating part a lot. That's the only reason I haven't lost all the weight yet, since I do train regularly, a lot.
    May be we should start a group actually, where we can put threads?
  • doCalisthenics
    doCalisthenics Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ladies, please. We are all depressed sometimes and we do eat to get that endorphins dancing. But eating is just one thing we could do to fight depression. As few here noted exercise is the other.

The best thing however is to focus not on how to get rid of the depression and the extra pounds.
    But to focus on smth more positive.

Focus on smth that is really going to stick positively in your mind.

For example. Set a goal to be at a specific target weight with a target bodyfat.

Generally, I would advice to focus on the bodyfat goal. Set a number. Do measurements once a month and keep going until you get there.

Know that it will take a lot of time to get to that goal. And have this goal as a perfection goal, which you can strive the rest of your life.

But set it realistic. For example if you are a housewife dont set a bodyfat goal of 4% which even elite athletes rarely reach.

As we all know a balanced "right" diet and exercise transform as physically and mentally, I think we should all remember why we are doing what we are doung.
    Of course getting leaner, sexier and healthier are good reasons.

But isnt a goal that is important also for other people worth more?
    Being sexy for you partner.
    Being leanier in order to play better sports,
    Get healthier to be able to help other people who arent healthy.

Those goals sound way better than I want to loose a certain amount of weight. Isnt that right?

The fact that you are serious about this is great but I would very much recommend to start eating smart and training smart.
    Do your own research.

I personally researched this topic so much and found that John Bernardi and especially John Kiefer are providing the best methods to achieve all of your goals.

Before you do anything further. I really strongly recommend you watch this 2 youtube videos by John Kiefer:

That one is a very long video about nutrition for women
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXDEPc38y08

This is quite short, straight to the point why women should do heavy resistance training
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIgVdH7TRsU

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or send me a request. I will be there for help