No time...

Options
I used to tell people that would say that they have no time to go to the gym, to stop making excuses. Unfortunately, I am now one of those people. You see, I used to be a stay at home mom and I had plenty of time to go and stay at the gym. Now, I have a full time job and life situations have since then changed. I have a gym membership, but I'm exhausted after work and sitting in traffic forever. If it's not that, I feel guilty about not seeing my kids all day and then going to the gym for an hour or so (plus traffic). By the time I'd get home from the gym they're getting ready to go to bed. I can't go to the gym early because they open after I leave for the day.
I was in amazing shape last year, then life happened, and although I tend to stress eat I have surprisingly only gained 10lbs (based on how awful I was eating I'm surprised I didn't gain more). I have lost the toned nature that my body had. Even to me it sounds like a bunch of excuses. Fact of the matter is I freaking miss the gym. I need to tone up.
Please feel free to add me because I would love the motivation.
Thanks for reading something that makes absolutely no sense at all.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Do you have space at home for gym equipment? If so, consider canceling your gym membership and spending the money on equipment. You may not be able to get everything that you use at the gym but, in my experience, working out at home makes you think of creative ways to do different exercises. It also allows you to work around your family's schedule more easily. You can work out before work or after work but then also find other bits and pieces of time that are too short for driving to the gym, working out, and driving back, but are actually enough time for exercising.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    How old are your kids? Can you make it a family ritual to go out for a walk every night after dinner? Or do some exercise videos together?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    you don't have to go to the gym every single night...go to the gym 2-3x per week to do some resistance training and do something else at home. you could even skip the gym altogether and just do body weight type of stuff at home or one of those P90/30Ds something or others. you don't have to go to a gym to get a good workout.

lately i've only been able to hit the weight room a couple days per week...there are lots of things that need to be taken care of at home so i have one night per week that go to the gym after work so that it's not too burdensome for my wife...then I go again on Saturday. Other than that, I cycle...either in the early AM, lunch, or after work.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I workout at home now, but when my kids were little we went to a gym with a daycare. The kids loved going and playing with their friends and all the toys at the gym daycare, plus I got to work out a few days a week guilt free because they were having such a great time. Not sure if your gym offers child care, but if not, you may want to consider finding one that does.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, you don't actually have to go to the gym to do that. Just watch your food intake and log everything. I have 3 young kids and work full-time as well and make the time. I go Tuesdays (when their dad has them) and Saturday mornings and my kids go to the gym playzone (and they love it). If you can, invest in a machine for home. I bought a treadmill ($1500) and love that I have the option to jog/walk on it after I put my kids to bed and have no guilt about not spending that time with them since they are in bed. I have found that my energy level is higher on the days I actually spend 20-40 minutes working out.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot that has already been said - particularly that you can lose weight without working out (need a caloric deficit) and that you don't need to go to the gym each day (try 2-3x a week). I work full time and have a toddler and go at 5am. There is no time for me to go in the evening. That's cooking, cleaning and time with my son - time. Since your gym doesn't open that early 1) you may consider another gym with earlier hours or 2) Get up early (4:30-5am) and workout at home either with a DVD or home gym equipment.

You can do it. Life just happens sometimes and our situations change. Sounds like you are already on the right track. Best of luck!
  • 1098mn
    1098mn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I can relate
    But you can do it
    I work out at home with my young kids
    We do yoga and cardio through some apps
    10-20 minutes and we are done

It's a great way to show the kids how be healthy

• MrsMunsell
    MrsMunsell Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Do you have space at home for gym equipment? If so, consider canceling your gym membership and spending the money on equipment. You may not be able to get everything that you use at the gym but, in my experience, working out at home makes you think of creative ways to do different exercises. It also allows you to work around your family's schedule more easily. You can work out before work or after work but then also find other bits and pieces of time that are too short for driving to the gym, working out, and driving back, but are actually enough time for exercising.
    jemhh wrote: »

I love this, I'm actually canceling my membership for this exact reason! No time to drive, get head in the game, then actually get quality workout that isn't just the treadmill. Working out at home is way better than staring at strangers! For me that is
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If I had to go to a gym to exercise it would not happen.
    Exercise at home. Get some equipment or use workout videos- lots of workout videos on you tube. Knock out a 30 minute workout after your kids go to bed.
    Exercise with your kids. Fun way to spend time together.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I hear you completely. I worked out 5 days a week as a stay at home mom, now I am a single mom working two jobs. I go when I can and refuse to let myself feel guilty when I don't. Sometimes after a 14 hour day Netflix in my jammies is just the better choice before bed.
  • NessXfit
    NessXfit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your comments everyone !!! Things are really complicated and stressful right now. Don't want to get all personal, I'm sure you all understand. My kids are teens. Their days are loong and due to said personal reasons I feel they need me more right now. Yes they're teenagers, but they still want and need their mom. If I go to the gym I'll be back home late. I've done the home workouts they were great and helped me out a great deal in the beginning. I had been weight training for over 2 years, up until about 6 months ago, and was in the best shape ever. Therefore, I know the home workouts would bore me now and I'd lose interest real quick.
    I'm not trying to lose weight, but rather want to tone up. I don't have my own place therefore the home gym isn't an option. Plus seeing other people work out is a lot more motivating.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I work construction 14 hours a day/ 6 days a week that requires traveling long distances some times. I do a lot of at home workout challenges before bed. I did Insaniry for awhile, now I'm doing the downloadable app '30 day abs' challenge. The fact that they use the word 'challenge' keeps me motivated. I downloaded abs, squats, push-ups, butt, thigh, arms, and cardio challenges. Combined, they only take me 20-30 minutes.

Hope you find something that works.
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    While the gym might not be a reasonable option for you right now, you can still find a little time here and there to do things at home. If you want it and it's important to you, then you make time. At home workouts might not be what you enjoy, but it's a start. It also doesn't have to be every day, but you can make the time.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    How many days a week do you work? Can you just go on your day off, for at least 1 workout? And have 1 workout during the week - that's only a relatively short period of time your kids would be without you
  • OyGeeBiv
    Options
    Does your gym allow teens to work out?

• Living360
    Living360 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think you could coordinate something to do with your teens. Have them look online for physical activities/workouts you can do together. That would take the boring home part out of it because you are spending the much needed time with your teens with the benefit of strengthening and toning. Hula Hoop, Jump Rope for aerobics and find some used weights or other small equipment that's not invasive to your living arrangements. This may not be the level of exertion you're used to but bonding and feeling good about yourselves sounds like something you all need now. Best of Luck, having teens can be difficult in the best of circumstances.
  • senoritaannie
    senoritaannie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hear you girl. I recently went from working 10 mins from home to working 1 hr from home. So I already get up early to leave for work and I get home in time for a late dinner.

I'm going to try and do some at home workouts early in morning before work. Maybe some yoga and jumping rope.

Maybe you could consider something like that.
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I just had a baby 3 months ago and I started work on Monday. I'm also the only one who cleans my house... though my husband has been helping a bit more now that I started work. My feet have been killing me and I've been debating on getting up before work to work out, or doing it after work. Then I think...when am I ganna have the time? I need time with my baby and I need time for sleep, but then I think, if I really want to lose the weight and get fit, then I have to MAKE the time for it. It might suck at first to get started, but I'm completely determined to get back to where I was before. I was at 135lbs and wanted to get down to 125 and now I'm up to 218lbs after my baby and I was looking through old bra's today and when I saw the band size I thougt to myself.."I can't believe I used to be THAT tiny!!!" and not only that tiny but thought I was fat too! the circumfrence for the bra was super tiny. I was SHOCKED. And it gave me motivation to get back into shape! Plus, I have all these tiny pants I can't wear cuz I have too much fat now! :) I'll add you and we can motivate each other!
  • OyGeeBiv
    Options
    Then I think...when am I ganna have the time? I need time with my baby ...

It doesn't have to be either/or. Your baby will love it if you strap her(?) to your chest and go out for a walk, or walk around the house. Or put her in a stroller and go out for a walk. Use her as a weight, and do some fun weight lifting - for example, lay on your back and put her on your chest, then lift her up toward the ceiling, and down (repeat).
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    NesZel07 wrote: »
    Thank you for your comments everyone !!! Things are really complicated and stressful right now. Don't want to get all personal, I'm sure you all understand. My kids are teens. Their days are loong and due to said personal reasons I feel they need me more right now. Yes they're teenagers, but they still want and need their mom. If I go to the gym I'll be back home late. I've done the home workouts they were great and helped me out a great deal in the beginning. I had been weight training for over 2 years, up until about 6 months ago, and was in the best shape ever. Therefore, I know the home workouts would bore me now and I'd lose interest real quick.
    I'm not trying to lose weight, but rather want to tone up. I don't have my own place therefore the home gym isn't an option. Plus seeing other people work out is a lot more motivating.

I totally get where you are. Teenagers need their parents as much or more as little kids. People don't get that until their kids grow up... My youngest is 12 and I take her with me. We go to a community center twice a week (and then once or twice on the weekend) to swim. Can you do something like that? I also started a C25K kind of program with her when she was 9 to start running and having time with her. It was awesome to be able to run slow enough to talk (and I still got a workout in!) Good luck. This isn't your life forever. Making your kids your priority right now is fine. Don't beat yourself up. You sound like a great mom!! :)