High protein vegan food while traveling

Options
In a few days I will be flying to Mexico from Canada and won't have access to a full kitchen for about two days. I need to pack some high protein foods that are vegan and hopefully gluten free for the plane ride and one overnight stay before a small road trip to my final destination which will luckily have a full kitchen. What do you suggest I pack? I can't bring dried fruits with me (except for on the plane, customs doesn't allow dried fruit). I try to get 80g of protein a day. I have problems with gluten and I don't want to be on a plane or in a car with other people while I have these problems. Any suggestions?

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm usually a fan of getting protein from food, not from supplements. However, I did pack some of these bars with me on a trip to Central Asia this summer, for long plane and train journeys and for days when getting a reasonable amount of vegetarian food was a challenge: http://simplyprotein.ca/. The regular bars are vegan; the whey ones are vegetarian but have dairy. They pack well since there's no chocolate coating or anything to melt. They're a bit dry but not too bad; my favourite flavours were the cinnamon and the peanut butter chocolate.

ETA: I was able to buy them at my local Provigo. Depending on where you live, your local supermarket might have them.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Protein bars/powders or nuts? I like the Elevate Me bars because they're all dried fruit, nuts, and whey powder (no unpronounceable chemical names!)... is whey vegan friendly? Taste of Nature bars might work too (http://www.tasteofnature.ca/products/). I think you can still buy them at Costco in Canada. Costco also has individually packaged quinoa cookies that might help.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I'm usually a fan of getting protein from food, not from supplements. However, I did pack some of these bars with me on a trip to Central Asia this summer, for long plane and train journeys and for days when getting a reasonable amount of vegetarian food was a challenge: http://simplyprotein.ca/. The regular bars are vegan; the whey ones are vegetarian but have dairy. They pack well since there's no chocolate coating or anything to melt. They're a bit dry but not too bad; my favourite flavours were the cinnamon and the peanut butter chocolate.

ETA: I was able to buy them at my local Provigo. Depending on where you live, your local supermarket might have them.
    I actually have some of these! My mum bought some a while back (about 6 months ago) and I haven't tried them yet. I guess I have an excuse to try them now.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    They might be a bit stale if you've had them sitting around for 6 months...
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    They might be a bit stale if you've had them sitting around for 6 months...
    I meant my mum eats them but she hasn't finished them as she bought like three boxes of them and I try not to touch her food
  • melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    how about lara bars ? or cliff bars are vegan too, i think cliff builders are the higher protein version.
    otherwise make a smoothie to go, using raw vegan protein powder (i use organic garden of life vanilla)- tastes amaze! but sun warrior is good too.... throw in almond milk, chia, hemp, goji, cacao, maca, acai, spirulina, whatever else you have and there you have a nice dose of protein and all superfoods :)

or mix vanilla protein with dates raisins cashews vanilla or peppermint extract and blend into bars or balls and roll in hemp seeds- hemp are 33% protein !
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Macadamia nuts and almonds.
    Contact the airline re meals for people with special needs.

• Gotchocolate
    Gotchocolate Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear more vegan protein options as well. I second Larabars, I like the peanut butter chocolate, but maybe the chocolate will melt? There are many flavors without chocolate. I also recently found Bienna Roasted Chickpeas, I like the sea salt and the honey roasted flavors. They have about 6 grams of protein per 130 calorie 1/4 cup serving, for the sea salt flavor. Great to connect with other vegans!
  • YeaYeaPueblo
    YeaYeaPueblo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Try cookieandkate.com - she has a few recipes for homemade Granola bars (they taste like no bake cookies!) that travel well.