Glutton and Guilt Free

Options
Brownilocks
Brownilocks Posts: 30 Member
edited December 2015 in Motivation and Support
2016 is just around the corner, and though we might not be aware of it, we've all got New Year's resolutions in the back of our minds. However, since I'm not one who believes in waiting for a specific date to start making a change, I'd like to start mine now.

My biggest struggle for the past few months is not an uncommon one: eating habits. Although I don't have a weight problem, nor really any health problems, it's something I continually fight with, and ever time it gets the best of me, I'm left feeling guilty and helpless. I know the only way to solve my problems is to take the bull by the horns, and this time, I mean to hang on.

So, What's the Problem?

1. BINGE EATING.
Thankfully, I don't binge every day, but hardly a week goes by without me spinning out of control.

2. EMOTIONAL EATING.
I am extremely vulnerable when feeling lonely, bored, tired, stressed etc.

3. SUGAR CRAVINGS.
Better than it used to be, but still I hunger for sugar every so often, especially in the mornings.

4. CONTINUAL SNACKING.
OK, maybe this one isn't necessarily harmful, but it's terribly inconvenient for my schedule, and so distracting!

What's the Goal?

To eat when hungry, and stop when satisfied.
I want my eating to serve the purpose it was designed: to nourish my body, and give me energy, and keep me thriving.

To leave the table guilt free.
I want to finish a meal, knowing I did well, that I did not submit to gluttony.

To effortlessly maintain my weight.
I believe that life is too short to count calories, and instead live an active, well functioning lifestyle that keeps everything in balance.

To stabilize my energy levels, and be at the top of my game all throughout the day.
The afternoon slumber can really get a person down, and coffee only helps me so much. I believe that a good diet and lifestyle will boost my productivity, and help me to perform at my best.

To comfortably go long periods of time without eating.
I'm out of the house most of the day, and as a girl living on her own with studies and a full time job, there's not a whole lot of time for three homemade meals a day. I hate to buy fast food (expensive and often unhealthy!), and don't even consider ready made meals. So, for the sake of convenience, this would really come in handy!

and last but not least:
To eat what I love, and love what I eat.

Then, What's the Solution???

1. MINDFUL EATING.
To be present and aware at mealtimes. To truly taste my food, and experience the effect it has on my body and mood.

2. LOW CARB HIGH FAT.
Will help keep my full longer, plus, foods high in fat are so much more flavorful!

3. INTERMITTENT FASTING.
I'm considering eating only one meal a day, but doubt this will be possible, due to social obligations and time constraints.

The Action Plan

Track my weight (daily) and measurements (weekly).

Record what I eat, and assign myself a 'grade' for each meal. (A+-F, A+ being a mindful, healthy, enjoyable, and purposeful meal, F being the complete opposite)

Exercise lightly in the gym 3 days a week, and run for semi-long distances 2 days a week.

Baby steps for Week 1....

#1: MINDFUL EATING: Eat sitting down and at a table, NOT standing, walking, in the train, etc.

#2: LOW CARB HIGH FAT: Lay off the dates! Though better than candy, they are still packed with sugar and no good for my blood sugar. They are a newly found weakness for me...

#3: INTERMITTENT FASTING: Eat either breakfast or dinner, but not both.

Questions to Ponder...

What do I do in social occasions, such as get-togethers with colleagues? I feel so rude saying no...

In which particular moments do I feel most susceptible to binge eating? How about emotional eating?

When do I crave sugar most? When can I best resist it?

How long does it take me to eat a hearty mindful meal? What about just a snack?

And lastly, a special note to all readers:

I know I can't be the only one to have experienced this.. and I would love to hear your stories! Let me know what you think of my plan, and any tips you might have. I'm not 100% sure I'm on the right track, but I believe the only way to know is to try. Feel free to join me in this experiment!

Like everything else, this is easier with support, and I appreciate any and all that you spare for me. :) And, if you're just curious to see how things go, that's perfectly fine too! Keep reading for a daily update on my journey to a glutton and guilt free me.

With love,
Brownilocks

Replies

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    My biggest concern is about #3. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for many reasons. Only when you have surgery in the morning, should you skip it. Otherwise, PLEASE spare yourself the pain and shame of failing due to daytime hunger. On the other hand, more and more experts are in favor of either skipping or going lighter on a nighttime meal, depending on what you like to function and sleep on. For me, there was a point in my journey where I had to choose: do I eat lunch so I can concentrate in class that afternoon, or risk falling asleep/getting sick in class due to hunger pains, to save calories for a hot meal with my family so I can do homework? Eventually, with the encouragement of a concerned friend, my family and I decided to help me make more balanced choices for lunch and dinner so I can get healthy without flunking out of college.
  • Brownilocks
    Options
    You might be right... I have always loved breakfast! It's just that I normally have to eat it alone... which can be dangerous for me :P But I guess that will be a good opportunity for me to practive mindful eating ;) Then, I'd just have to take care to eat a lighter lunch or dinner?
  • longshadows17
    longshadows17 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You could take the simpler route and log all your food and eat the calories the this site gives you.

That way, you know what to fit in for a party or a meal, and exercise off any excess. No need for confusing diets.

I'm not a breakfast person, it's no more or less important than any other time to eat.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    My biggest concern is about #3. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for many reasons. Only when you have surgery in the morning, should you skip it. Otherwise, PLEASE spare yourself the pain and shame of failing due to daytime hunger.

Just as another opinion, there are plenty of studies to show that the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is false. I never eat in the mornings, I have my first meal at midday and another at about 7 or 8. I dont feel any issues with energy or concentration, and I find this schedule fits me best so I can eat more at two meals rather than eat unsatisfying portions at inconvenient times.

ALL THAT MATTERS is calories in being less than calories out. It doesnt matter what time of day you eat those calories. The weight loss would be the same.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My biggest concern is about #3. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for many reasons. Only when you have surgery in the morning, should you skip it. Otherwise, PLEASE spare yourself the pain and shame of failing due to daytime hunger. On the other hand, more and more experts are in favor of either skipping or going lighter on a nighttime meal, depending on what you like to function and sleep on. For me, there was a point in my journey where I had to choose: do I eat lunch so I can concentrate in class that afternoon, or risk falling asleep/getting sick in class due to hunger pains, to save calories for a hot meal with my family so I can do homework? Eventually, with the encouragement of a concerned friend, my family and I decided to help me make more balanced choices for lunch and dinner so I can get healthy without flunking out of college.

Actually, the whole breakfast being the most important meal of the day theory has been debunked.
  • Brownilocks
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Saturday (Dec 5, 2015)

Weigh in (morning, no breakfast): 52,8 kg.

Measure:
    bust: 80cm.
    waist: 64 cm.
    hips: 92 cm

Social Snack: Gløgg + caramelized almonds
    How mindful? C. Aware, but not really mindful. A little to hasty eating the almonds, because they were shared.. and my company eats a lot faster than I! Perhaps next time, I'll separate a portion just for me.
    How healthy? C. The gløgg probably had sugar added to it, and the almonds definitely did! However, they were minimally processed and wheat-free.

How purposeful? A. for social reasons. The food added to the experience, but not drastically.

Average Grade: B-

Mindful Meal: Homemade beef soup + strawberries in cream + almonds, raisin, and shredded coconut mix.
    How mindful? B. Aware and unrushed - except with almond snack. Right before bedtime, so I was anxious to get to bed.
    How healthy? A. Sugar free + wheat free. Could have used more variety in vegetables.
    How purposeful? A+. Was very hungry by this time! So was my company.

Average Grade: A-.

Exercise: Easy walking for half a day.

Comments: Still not quite satisfied enough after my one hearty meal. Thinking I need to eat more, and so, set aside more time.

Questions to Ponder...

1. What do I do in social occasions, such as get-togethers with colleagues? I feel so rude saying no...
    Thinking to just take what is specifically offered to me. Pick the healthiest option, and eat it slowly and mindfully.

2. In which particular moments do I feel most susceptible to binge eating? How about emotional eating?
    Alone at the office when it's getting late is a dangerous time!

3. When do I crave sugar most? When can I best resist it?

4. How long does it take me to eat a hearty mindful meal? What about just a snack?

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to eat because someone offers food. Say, "no" and be ok with that.

Perhaps look for "intermittent fasting" in Groups. If you are mostly eating one meal a day, you want to focus on protein.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's quite a well thought out plan! I wish you success in you endevore!

I just wanted to say that I totally get what you are saying about guilt. I felt guilty about nearly everything bite I ate for at least 25 years and it was a major reason that I decided to change my life style.

....AND...I started to feel truly free of that guilt...almost immediately after I really made the commitment to myself. After just one day of an honest effort at controling my diet and getting some exercise, I was able to take a deep breath and think, "Oh, that felt so good, to make good choices for myself" And the next day, I wanted that feeling again and again.

I've lost 115 pounds so far and the one thing that gives me the most confidence that I will reach my goal and maintain my healthy changes, is that feeling of freedom.

The guilt is gone.
  • Brownilocks
    Options
    Dear Bri170lb,

I am so happy for you! All I really want is to be at peace with myself- and my relationship with food.
    I'm looking forward to seeing how his plan goes, and how long it will take to be free of binging.
  • Brownilocks
    Options

Sunday (Dec. 6, 2015)

Planning on a hearty breakfast (since I'll be out the rest of the day until late.) Will buy a 'healthiest-option' snack, if I get hungry.

Weigh in (morning, no breakfast): 53,2 kg.

Social Snack: Skyr with paleo topping
    How mindful? B. Mind was wandering, but posture was great, and ate unrushed (if not with leasure).
    How healthy? B. Wheat free, but added honey.
    How purposeful? B. Wasn't really hungry yet, but probably helped me last all night without dinner.

Average Grade: B.

Mindful Meal: Bacon and scrambled eggs + fried egg and chunk of pan fried salmon (homemade).
    How mindful? B. Aware and quite unrushed. Didn't focus on breathe or taste too much. (Had company.)
    How healthy? B-. Sugar free + wheat free. Lacking the vegetables!
    How purposeful? A+. Hearty meal with good company. Kept away hunger all day long.

Average Grade: A.

Exercise: 4,5 km walk. Salsa dancing 1hr.

Comments: Thought about eating once I came home late at night... but I had a glass of wine instead. Challenging to eat the great majority of my calories in one meal! It takes about 1,5 hrs. going at a nice pace...

Questions to Ponder...

1- When do I crave sugar most? When can I best resist it?

2- How long does it take me to eat a hearty mindful meal? What about just a snack?
    My 'one meal a day' would take about 1,5 - 2hrs. Rare that I have such a long stretch of free time! Small snacks might take 15min... normal meals range from 45min. to 1hr.

• zcb94
    Options

Actually, the whole breakfast being the most important meal of the day theory has been debunked.
    Hm. I might have to update my research on that, then! Good to know! Thanks for telling me.
  • zcb94
    Options
    brb2008 wrote: »
    My biggest concern is about #3. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for many reasons. Only when you have surgery in the morning, should you skip it. Otherwise, PLEASE spare yourself the pain and shame of failing due to daytime hunger.

Just as another opinion, there are plenty of studies to show that the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is false. I never eat in the mornings, I have my first meal at midday and another at about 7 or 8. I dont feel any issues with energy or concentration, and I find this schedule fits me best so I can eat more at two meals rather than eat unsatisfying portions at inconvenient times.

ALL THAT MATTERS is calories in being less than calories out. It doesnt matter what time of day you eat those calories. The weight loss would be the same.
    Hm. Very interesting! Noted for further study.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    What worked the best for me was to track calories, eat mostly nutritious food and avoid overly complicating matters.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    What worked the best for me was to track calories, eat mostly nutritious food and avoid overly complicating matters.

This.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Perhaps look into the Low Carber Daily group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group Most there eat less than 100 to 150g of carbs. Most of us find it reduces appetite and the urge to snack as well. There are a fair number of recipes and meals posted to so it is a good place to look for ideas.

Good luck.
  • Brownilocks
    Options
    Thanks everybody!

I'll try out the groups you mentioned :)

I also made myself a little logging notebook, I find it very comforting to physically write my feelings and recordings in pen and paper.

I wish you all the best!