In the middle of a regain - five star emergency

Options
I lost 40 kg. I regained 20. I held that steady for 18 months and avoided a complete rebound. Now I've started regaining again so I'm down only 18 kg from where I started. This is a 5 star emergency. Why oh why do I lose my will power after approximately 700 days every time I go through one of these cycles?! I can't live through another complete rebound!

I'm committing to strict calorie counting yet again this morning. But where will I find the will power?

Agh!

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    What do you mean you are in the middle of a regain? You should be at the END! :) You can do it, just like you did before.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Stop eating so much or get fatter

Which do you want more?
  • Melodieccurn
    Melodieccurn Posts: 966 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Start a refresher. Get rid of the crap. Eat no sugar no breads no rice / carbs only from fruit and veggies . Fresh lean protein. By day 3 the cravings will be gone and you will be over the hump by day 7.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    You can DO this!!!!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    douglerner wrote: »
    I lost 40 kg. I regained 20. I held that steady for 18 months and avoided a complete rebound. Now I've started regaining again so I'm down only 18 kg from where I started. This is a 5 star emergency. Why oh why do I lose my will power after approximately 700 days every time I go through one of these cycles?! I can't live through another complete rebound!

I'm committing to strict calorie counting yet again this morning. But where will I find the will power?

Agh!

Craft your habits such that you don't need willpower.

For me, calorie counting is incredibly quick and easy. I plan the next day's meals before I go to bed. All I need to do on the day of is just prepare what I logged, using a scale to measure portions while cooking or assembling the meal. It's much less time consuming than brushing my teeth.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    The hard part is choosing to stick to what we pre-logged and staying below your calorie count. Sometimes it's easy and sometimes not so easy. When it's hard you have to remember where you've been and where you want to be, before the first bite. It gets easier with practice. You've succeeded before. Nows the time to make a commitment to yourself and your health and your future. You can do this!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Make more changes in your routine and environment so that you can be successful. Much good luck this time around
  • douglerner
    douglerner Posts: 237 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Thank you for all your messages. I can't really disagree with what any of you wrote. Even though I was vegan the last go-round I think what was written above, "Eat no sugar no breads no rice / carbs only from fruit and veggies . Fresh lean protein" is probably true for me.

The sugars, breads, rice (grains in general) seem to be just deadly for me calorie-wise. Strict calorie counting is vital. But it's important to eat foods that satisfy instead of trigger cravings.

Today I was good. I hope that in a few days craving go away. We'll see.

Thanks for the supportive messages!

• OkieFitness
    OkieFitness Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    First, don't beat yourself up. For most of us LIFE has it's ups and downs! So your habits and routine aren't immune to this. Blame entropy too. You have to continually put energy into a system in order to get more out. (No such thing as a free *chuckle* lunch!) For me? If I don't carefully track and document? I'm screwed! Attitude is everything too. Your pursuit of health is just as much about going through the motions of exercise as it is the Emotions of exercise...(and excuses for NOT exercising...)
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Which do you want more?

Harsh though it may be, its the truth, and sugar coating the truth is how most of us end up gaining weight back.
    So scale back or workout like the lives of your loved ones depend on it, that's really the only choices.
    I wish I could crack the mystery of willpower loss, it would save a lot of us grief :/
    The simple answer is that you have to find it in you; we can advise and cheer you on but you have to turn inward to find your motivation.
    I wrote letters to myself. I talk about how I feel, where my health is and how I look naked as opposed to where I want to be. I find when I start to lose steam it really helps reading advice from my unhealthier self.
    Good luck :)
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Do this for the future you. Think of how much you would feel in the future if you don't get do the right things now.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I feel the same way. I lost about 10 pounds earlier this year and felt great. I maintained it through the summer, but started regaining a few months ago. I've regained about 5 pounds and it's so frustrating. I know what I have to do and I just get the, but I want it <pizza, out to dinner, Chinese takeout, etc.> mentality and I erase all the hard work I put in.

It's a battle every day for me.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    mallowbar wrote: »
    Start a refresher. Get rid of the crap. Eat no sugar no breads no rice / carbs only from fruit and veggies . Fresh lean protein. By day 3 the cravings will be gone and you will be over the hump by day 7.

You know, this may actually be the problem. Being too restrictive can, for many people, lead to poor adherence.

OP, maybe try an approach for the long term. Start by setting MFP to lose .5 or 1 pound a week. Be careful with your logging to make sure it's accurate. Within those calories, try to get a good variety of nutrient dense foods, but don't feel like you need to restrict yourself to chicken and broccoli :wink: There's nothing wrong with bread, rice, or even sugar, within an overall healthy diet. Watch your macros to make sure you get enough protein and fats (you can go with MFP's defaults unless you have a reason to do something else).

Within those calories, you can allow yourself to enjoy treats. There are many people on here who have lost their weight and maintained for a prolonged amount of time while enjoying ice cream, pizza, cookies, cake, or whatever. The key is that they measure it appropriately and have it within their calorie allotment (and generally they don't have them all in the same day)
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Everytime willpower and motivation fail me, and that happens more days than not, I fall back on determination and the commitments that I make with myself.
  • douglerner
    Options
    ufonut wrote: »
    First, don't beat yourself up. For most of us LIFE has it's ups and downs!

This is like the 10th time I've been through this! I really though this last time was the charm. But "something" always happens 2 years into a diet and I start rebounding. My only consolation is that I've managed to avoid a total rebound until now. But I'm disappointed with how fat I've gotten again. :(

doug
  • douglerner
    Options
    Obnoxa wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Which do you want more?

Harsh though it may be, its the truth, and sugar coating the truth is how most of us end up gaining weight back.
    So scale back or workout like the lives of your loved ones depend on it, that's really the only choices.
    I wish I could crack the mystery of willpower loss, it would save a lot of us grief :/
    The simple answer is that you have to find it in you; we can advise and cheer you on but you have to turn inward to find your motivation.
    I wrote letters to myself. I talk about how I feel, where my health is and how I look naked as opposed to where I want to be. I find when I start to lose steam it really helps reading advice from my unhealthier self.
    Good luck :)

Yes, there is no point in sugar coating (as it were) the truth. I have to find it within me to get back to "healthy mode." What I always can't fathom is that for two whole years in each of these cycles I am not tempted to stray from strict calorie control at all! But then something just seems to fall apart.

I think it is partly physical (my shrunken fat cells screaming at me that they are starving) and partly psychological.

doug
  • douglerner
    Options
    Do this for the future you. Think of how much you would feel in the future if you don't get do the right things now.

I am. That's why I'm so depressed about this. But you are right.

doug
  • douglerner
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I feel the same way. I lost about 10 pounds earlier this year and felt great. I maintained it through the summer, but started regaining a few months ago. I've regained about 5 pounds and it's so frustrating. I know what I have to do and I just get the, but I want it <pizza, out to dinner, Chinese takeout, etc.> mentality and I erase all the hard work I put in.

It's a battle every day for me.

I go to sleep thinking, "I can eat again tomorrow!" I have to get food out of my mind.

Interestingly enough I went on a 5 week trip to the U.S. recently and came back 5 lb lighter! I was just so busy I couldn't stay home and "graze" all day.

doug
  • douglerner
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    Being too restrictive can, for many people, lead to poor adherence.

Start by setting MFP to lose .5 or 1 pound a week. Be careful with your logging to make sure it's accurate. Within those calories, try to get a good variety of nutrient dense foods, but don't feel like you need to restrict yourself to chicken and broccoli :wink: There's nothing wrong with bread, rice, or even sugar, within an overall healthy diet. Watch your macros to make sure you get enough protein and fats (you can go with MFP's defaults unless you have a reason to do something else).

Within those calories, you can allow yourself to enjoy treats. There are many people on here who have lost their weight and maintained for a prolonged amount of time while enjoying ice cream, pizza, cookies, cake, or whatever. The key is that they measure it appropriately and have it within their calorie allotment (and generally they don't have them all in the same day)

I think you are right about losing just a bit each week. Over the long run it's good.

But I recognize that bread and rice and sugar seem to be (1) very unsatisfying as far as filling me up and (2) trigger foods which actually drive more cravings.

So inside a "reasonable" plan of calorie counting to lose moderately each week I need to take into account those foods I know cause a problem for me.

Plus rice and bread have enormous amounts of calories in them.

doug
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Setting your calories to 0.5 pounds a week would have you lose a nice amount of weight in a year, but also allow you to eat more daily and get into maintenance mode. If this were easy, there wouldn't be any overweight people. They'd lose weight and keep it off. I read the maintenance folder periodically to see how those people who've maintained for five years think. I maintained when I was younger but it certainly gets harder as our metabolism slows. I'm determined to make this time my last on the yo-yo. It's too hard to lose. I just want to maintain. That's what is motivating me now- to make this my last weight loss program (I have 5# to go but am just trying to maintain this month).