What do you tell yourself to keep going?

Options
I have this mental roadblock that is an initial fear I have. It's what has me procrastinating on basically doing anything physical. I don't know what to tell myself to basically push past it. What do you tell yourself to overcome your fear? The fear of being at your best physically and mentally, at that.

Replies

• contentaconme
    contentaconme Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, what helps me to push past workouts that seem extreme and i fear of not being able to do is to think of what Jillian Michael says when i do her videos. SHE says We are made to think we are not strong but we are capable to get fit and push ourselves. Also I think about the saying progress not perfection. YOU CAN DO IT baby steps to jump in and walk modify what you have to, just dont let fear stop you. :-)
  • pho808
    pho808 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I feel better after walking now. If I don't I'll feel cramped. Also, I can only listen to a favorite podcast or audio book if I walk.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I ask myself what is the absolute minimal amount I am willing to do. 5 wall push ups? Okay, it's more than I would have done but the happy part about it is, once I start I end up doing a lot more. A whole routine or even half of one. I feel accomplished because I did something I wasn't really in the mood for and it made me feel better as well as not putting too much pressure on myself to perform. For me it's a mind game and I have to learn how to trick myself into doing what I want without all the negativity of doubt, fear, etc. I'm very hard on myself with expectations and such, so this works great for me.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Take it one day at a time.
    Baby steps
    Like @contentaconme says, think about progress, not perfection.
    Get the correct form for an exercise and practice, practice, practice
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Just do a little thing

Feel good about that

Then consider the next thing

It really is baby steps!
  • moveover22
    moveover22 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you. Made my night to read the advice. Nothing wrong with giving it a try. I really appreciate it. Good luck to you too(:
  • Endless_Journey
    Endless_Journey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Life is not a rehearsal you only get one chance, your body is a temple look after it, it's on loan. Treat every day as if it's your first, each day presents challenges for you to overcome.
    Hey just enjoy life, it's great, good luck on your journey
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Time goes on with or without you. It's the one thing you'll NEVER get back. So you can fear a little tough work, or better yet, fear that you've done nothing to improve and years into the future look back and say you wasted a lot of time. Is that the future you want?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • OkieFitness
    OkieFitness Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think you need to examine your last statement in detail because to me, it's telling. Why do you fear being at your best? Once you figure that out it will be a motivator to achieve, not avoid. But also don't get stuck there if you can't get immediate answers. Like Nike says? Just Do It!
  • DigitalAnthony
    DigitalAnthony Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Something is better than nothing keep that in mind. Ultimately you need to procrastinate and you need to doubt your self and feel like craps I mean I have to get to the point to where I feel worthless and incompetent to tell my self this is not where I'm supposed to be you have to be sick and tired of being out of breath after a flight of stairs not being able to play sports and walk or run for long periods of time. Because once you know your capable of feeling all these emotions the greatness will awaeken in you to power your mind to not only become physically healthy but mentallly as well. You already have been through the worse there for your mind knows no limit. Even the slightest bit of progession you will be thankful for. Your mind will adapt to challenge and you will strive to accept any challenge and be the best you can. You CAN do it my friend and you KNOW it. Good luck and get at it.

Best regards,
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have a big fitness goal that is going to really push me to my limits.

When I feel lazy or don't want to do something smaller, I remember that compared to my ultimate goals, all of this stuff is trivially simple. I see it as a small test of the determination I'm going to need later on.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If I really feel like skipping a workout I will, because I know this is more about calories in. If I'm just waffling a bit, I will tell myself to get started for 15 minutes, then if I really don't want to, I can stop. I usually don't stop. The trick is to start :smile:
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    If I really feel like skipping a workout I will, because I know this is more about calories in. If I'm just waffling a bit, I will tell myself to get started for 15 minutes, then if I really don't want to, I can stop. I usually don't stop. The trick is to start :smile:

Depends on your goals, really, whether it's more about calories in or not. My true goal isn't just weight loss, but overall fitness, and the workouts can't be replaced by diet in that regard.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Depends on your goals, really, whether it's more about calories in or not. My true goal isn't just weight loss, but overall fitness, and the workouts can't be replaced by diet in that regard.

Absolutely! OP does seem more focused on physical, which is where the I'll just do 15 minutes comes in handy.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    What has been motivating to me is knowing that time is going to go by whether I work towards my goals or not. But if I don't, the time will come that I will wish I would have. Start today, and in 6 months, you will be thanking yourself for not saying "I will start tomorrow."
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I tell myself I will just do 5 min of my work out. Then i actually do more when i am doing it. The hardest part is just getting started. I am nearly 59. I want to be a fit person as I age. Many people my age have problems waking. The next thing is just turning over in their own bed.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of injuries right now but when I very first got into it, I couldn't believe I'd been missing so much fun all those years, missing out on feeling strong and physically capable and *awake*. Amazing.

Until I got to where things felt like that, I built it up into a habit, just made myself do some kind of activity every day, so feelings didn't come into it.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I don't really tell myself anything. I just keep going. The time is going to pass anyway, why not do it in a healthier/fit/whatever floats your boat manner?
  • moveover22
    moveover22 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You guys are awesome(: Thank you for your great advice and comments. I'm off to run...it's been a while but I'm over this fear right now. You guys are right, I'm not going to let it hold me back today and I gotta keep reassuring myself. I hope the same support for all of you.