I have determined I need a hobby.... What's yours

Replies

• stangma
    stangma Posts: 211 Member
    My passion is jewlery making. Started simply stringing beads then progressed to bead weaving. You can make beautiful items for yourself or share them with friends for special occasions (birthday, goals reached, etc). The beginning tools are not very expensive - check you your are for bead shops - they will give free classes - but you need to get supplies for the classes at their shop. Love Love Love it. Check our Potomac Beads, Jazzy Gems, Pat Catans and JoAnne. Enjoy ;>)
  • I found that I needed a hobby to...things were just getting boring! What about photography and then editing the pictures? Sounded boring to me at first, but then I got my fantastic camera for Christmas, and have been a huge photography nerd ever since lol!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    I want to start making Hair Falls , and then maybe move on to belts and hipscarves or other accessories
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    I knit, too! I am so surprised that there are so many knitters here. How many calories do you think we burn doing that? LOL

It is not hard to learn the basics, and yet it can keep you challenged by learning new stitches. The good thing with this hobby is that you can wear what you make afterwards! It's not very expensive to start, but can get pricey if you develop a yarn habit. (and I do -- it's inherited -- just ask my aunt!)

As far as knitting in the summer -- I agree that sometimes it's hard to stay motivated when it's 100 degrees outside. I tend to change my projects to reflect the seasons -- lighter fabrics. Right now I'm working on baby booties and some cotton dishcloths.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    I knit, too! I am so surprised that there are so many knitters here. How many calories do you think we burn doing that? LOL

It is not hard to learn the basics, and yet it can keep you challenged by learning new stitches. The good thing with this hobby is that you can wear what you make afterwards! It's not very expensive to start, but can get pricey if you develop a yarn habit. (and I do -- it's inherited -- just ask my aunt!)

As far as knitting in the summer -- I agree that sometimes it's hard to stay motivated when it's 100 degrees outside. I tend to change my projects to reflect the seasons -- lighter fabrics. Right now I'm working on baby booties and some cotton dishcloths.
  • bethm1210
    bethm1210 Posts: 66 Member
    I quilt, or at least make an attempt at it. My husband says he doesn't know what a finished quilt looks like. :laugh: It keeps me busy and sometimes I forget to eat! It can be expensive if you do big quilts, but smaller projects aren't quite as pricey, and they're easier to complete, too. :happy:
  • My boyfriend got me into Geocaching recently. If you have a computer and a smartphone that is pretty much what is needed to start. Other supplies are generally things people already have like a car, a flashlight, some OFF, a bottle of water, a pen. Go to Geocaching.com to sign up and you can get a free app on your phone to help find them. If you like the hobby can pay $10.00 and get a better app. I have the free one. What's really great about it is that it gets you outside walking around, getting your exercise without even realizing it. And it is SO rewarding to find a cache!!! It's pretty easy as the caches come with difficulty and terrain ratings. Don't go for the high ratings until you know what you are doing!
  • cmisty2001
    cmisty2001 Posts: 59
    knitting
    reading - just splurged on a NookColor (yea!)
    basket weaving
    may start sewing again with a new grandbaby on the way
    geocaching (movement outdoors so a double win)
    canoeing
    camping
    fishing
    swimming
    hiking but it's rather hot right now for me to enjoy it
    481471 Posts: 95
    My boyfriend got me into Geocaching recently. If you have a computer and a smartphone that is pretty much what is needed to start. Other supplies are generally things people already have like a car, a flashlight, some OFF, a bottle of water, a pen. Go to Geocaching.com to sign up and you can get a free app on your phone to help find them. If you like the hobby can pay $10.00 and get a better app. I have the free one. What's really great about it is that it gets you outside walking around, getting your exercise without even realizing it. And it is SO rewarding to find a cache!!! It's pretty easy as the caches come with difficulty and terrain ratings. Don't go for the high ratings until you know what you are doing!
    That sounds fun!! Just looking at the website now!! :)
  • Koalaboo
    Koalaboo Posts: 64 Member
    I have been barren in the ways of creativity lately, but when my creativity is flowing I really enjoy drawing and singing. However, if you aren't the type to just sit down and draw/doodle/paint/etc., but like journaling and adding to something overtime, I really suggest "Wreck This Journal" by Keri Smith. The journal is full of prompts and all sorts of fun ways to essentially creatively "wreck" the journal -- from having it go through the postal system to see how "wrecked" it gets, to collecting the stickers off of the fruit you buy, to weird mazes, to blank pages to create your own little designated space(s) and so on. I plan to get a new one soon and incorporate different ways to wreck it via exercise, haha! Like tying a string around it and dragging it after me during a walk.

Okay, so that may sound a little crazy, but it sounds fun to me. Maybe it'll be fun to you, too. :) Good luck!
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    I enjoy Geocaching too! I haven't been out in awhile, but it is a lot of fun.

I also used to cross stich which is pretty easy & inexpensive. I have NO sewing abilities whatsoever, but picked up cross stiching pretty easily. You can start with small patterns that come with all the thread you need.

Photography is another great hobby. If you have a smart phone there are all kinds of free aps you can download to edit photos. If you're doing it on a PC, Photoshop Elements is a basic Photoshop program that you can get used for around $25.

Try different stuff to see what you love and Have Fun!
  • serendipity22
    serendipity22 Posts: 248 Member
    I'm learning how to speak Italian and planning my dream trip to Italy. I can't afford to go right now but I'm having fun planning it. I also like reading, writing, singing, painting, dancing and photography. I'm also learning how to sew. I'm making a costume for Halloween.
  • Cindib13
    Cindib13 Posts: 234 Member
    I love photography, although it can be an expensive hobby. I love trying to capture the beauty surrounding me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicurn/
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    I play Call of Duty :) Not the most active hobby, but it sure does relieve stress!!!
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    reading
    walking
    scrapbooking/pictures
    volunteer at a local preschool or library

I did those at one time or another but now I mostly exercise, do housework and read

I spend a bit too much time online too here at at bejeweled blitz on facebook it is too addicting

I also am interested in cake decoration and may take that up but it is a hobby that would MAJORLY clash with the fitness and lifestyle plan I have adopted unless I plan to bake and give it away and that would be my kids worst nightmare...mom finally makes cupcakes and decorates them to be so pretty and then they go out the door.
  • Oh boy - too many hobbies is my problem. I love to sew, knit, crochet, cross stitch, scrapbook, card-making, embroidery and I've recently started (very little) making jewelry.

I also LOVE to read books..

I agree that if your hands are busy, then you'll stop yourself from eating. That's also true if your brain is busy - Every craft that I do I have learned from books or magazines. You can do it too!!
  • I read some of the hobby suggestions and they all are great. Some I've tried. Here's one I didn't see...quilting.

Using old material scraps (from dresses to prom gowns) can make beautiful quilt tops to be quilted now or later.
    You can find patterns on internet (or purchase them) unless you know an older person who has actually done quilting.
    You can do them by hand or on a sewing machine. Squares are the easiest to start out with.

I had a friend who cut up and used her daughter's formals and even her wedding dress to make a gorgeous bedspread.

This certainly would take up time, use both hands, and be so rewarding. Good luck with whatever you find to help keep your heart and mind active.:flowerforyou:
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Knitting is super easy! There are You tube videos. thats how I learned. The tough part? I just can't get myself to knit during the summer time. I'm knitting a scarf and it's 100+ degrees out. :happy:

I knit too and feel the same way!!
    I also shoot handguns, do some art journaling and random mixed media art.
  • amberlee2011
    amberlee2011 Posts: 129
    My hobby is ghost hunting! I love it and I'm very passionate about it. I joined a team in January, but I also hunt on the weekends with various friends.

I also sell Mark. on the side. It's like Avon but geared towards a younger crowd. They don't have a quota that you have to sell each month so I like that.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Calling all knitters--we should start a MFP knit along in a project one size smaller than we are right now. By the time we finish it, we will have "grown into" our new size. And seeing our yarn on the needles will really keep us (OK, Me) motivated. But it's summer. Maybe we should wait until fall. I only do small projects when it's hot. I hear others saying the same thing.
This discussion has been closed.