Can I spread my workout over the day?

Options
I have a 1 year old and I'm just starting my weight loss / fitness journey at 143 pounds and 5'1 height. I'm enrolled in a gym but can only go on my husbands day off or when he comes home early so he can watch the baby. But I want to start working out at home but I know I won't be able to do long workout during the day so I'm thinking of doing a couple of sets 2-3 a day plus increase my steps on my fit bit from 5k to 10k a day do you think this will be affective to get me stronger or should I just find away to do it all at once? Thank you I'm a begginer here so I don't know

Replies

• MsTeaLady
    MsTeaLady Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Anything is better than nothing. Usually, it's better to exercise 30-40 minutes at a time, but if you can't, do what you can. A 15 minute session of yoga may not burn a bunch of calories during those 15 minutes, but it will effect the rest of your day, even if it's just holding your posture a little better. Or try doing 1 minute planks here and there.

When increasing your steps, 5k to 10k at once is a large jump. You may feel discouraged if you can only get to 8k. Work up to 10k. Try 7k for a week or so, then increase.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yes you can spread it out a bit. Are you talking about lifting weights when you mention sets? If so, I'd try to do all sets of the same exercise together but if you need to do some of the exercises at one time and some at another, it is fine.
  • TxLisa251
    TxLisa251 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My mom lost a lot of weight this way. She has some health issues so it was very slow going. She started by walking around the table. She gradually increased the times she walked around the table. From there, she started walking on the treadmill. She still can't walk on the treadmill for more than 15 minutes at a time, but she walks on it several times throughout the day. I don't know exactly how much she lost, but she was 5'4", a size 14/16 and she's now a size 2. This took a long time and didn't happen overnight. This probably took about 2 to 3 years.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I do this at work all the time lol. All of us who sit down all day at work should get up every hour or so and walk around, so why not throw in a set of curls or push ups.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I pretty much have always done this. Pretty busy life, so most of my weight training workouts are less than 30mins. Cardio is a little tougher to cram in, but even small sessions beat nothing at all.
  • Photograhicsoul
    Photograhicsoul Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had a point when I was doing 20min daily, that's all I was able to do...And honestly if you do that daily it gets better results that 1h 3x weekly...Daily working out is great. At least in my experience, it definitely had better results.
    Also, if you have little time you can find targeted workouts on Youtube. If your fitness level is lower/average I would just find general workouts for each body sections(abs, arms etc). A lot of channels have 12-15 min workouts for each section and those are great. Great channels are Xhit, Ballet Beautiful, BeFit(this one has sooo many small workouts). If any of those are too easy for you, still on youtube, search for HIT workouts, for me those are enough even for 15 min. So you can do that, yoga, small walks. One or few small workouts daily are MUCH better than none. And honestly, the more you workout, especially multiple times daily, the more it will improve your metabolism and energy and it will help for sure. Go for it!