Are there really fat burning foods?

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    It is all about the deficit.

This. It's not even about diet type, it's all about finding what works for you to stay in a calorie deficit.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options

+1
    If there were any food that burns fat, we would not be here at MFP eating at a deficit to lose body weight, nor there would be obese people.
    Lean protein, vegetables and fruits helps your overall nutrition since they carry essential nutrients for your body. However, if you eat healthy and more calories than you burn, your body weight will increase. Eating healthy does not mean losing body weight.
    Exercise is for fitness and health. Exercise also helps with burning some additional calories. Same caveat, if you eat more than you burn, your body weight will increase. You can not out exercise excessive calorie eating.
    Good luck in your healthy journey

That's is pretty much the whole enchilada

• teamknoxdiscus
    teamknoxdiscus Posts: 16 Member
    Options

this is not entirely correct. Protein sources cause more of a thermogenic effect than other types. About 1/3 of the intake from a protein source is used up in a thermogenic process. Resulting in less total calories being stored yet they have been ingested in the same manner.

Where you get your food matters a lot.

If anyone has any questions feel free to add me and ask. : )

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    1. There are a few things that could be called negative calorie - for example, if you drank one liter of ice water, you'd burn about 35 calories because your body has to warm it up to body temperature. Still, the effect is quite small and you couldn't drink enough water (without dying of hyponatremia) to make a meaningful difference.

2. If there actually was a food that gave a significant effect on metabolism, it would be very toxic. There was a now-banned diet drug that legitimately did cause your body's metabolism to be less efficient, so you needed to burn more calories for the same amount of cellular energy usage. However, the problem here is energy balance. The excess calories of energy don't just disappear, they become heat, and people can and did die from hyperthermia as their body produced heat faster than they could shed it into the environment, even when they were given carefully controlled dosages administered by doctors.

Capsaicin has the same general kind of effect as the latter, but much, much weaker. It may help a very little bit, but the effect is not going to be huge - if it had a huge effect, it would be equally deadly.

You might get a few dozens of "extra calories" by things like this, but it's not going to be a game changer.

I think I know what you're talking about. That stuff is dangerous.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If weight loss is all about calorie deficit, then it can't be about anything else, well can it.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

this is not entirely correct. Protein sources cause more of a thermogenic effect than other types. About 1/3 of the intake from a protein source is used up in a thermogenic process. Resulting in less total calories being stored yet they have been ingested in the same manner.

That's true, but that's only considering the direct effect. There are indirect effects that reduce this effect. Those 1/3 of the calories produce heat, and since your body is carefully regulating its core temperature, this excess heat produced in digestion means your body can produce less heat elsewhere (for example, reducing brown fat thermogenesis). Those other thermogenic processes consume calories, so while you get less usable energy out of the protein, you also burn less energy in other parts of the body which reduces the strength of the effect.

The effect is real, but it's not hugely significant - again, a few dozens of calories.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

The bottom line is you have to eat less calories than you burn to lose weight.

Macro balance and food type are for nutrition. Anybody will lose weight on a deficit no matter the foods they choose, but somebody on a healthy diet who eats at a surplus will gain weight.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    No. It's all about the deficit. If you ate over your daily allowance of Cayenne pepper, (Could you imagine? I mean, I like spicy food but...) you would gain weight.

HAHAHA "The could you imagine" made me lol.
    You'd end up with a fiery mouth and a burning stomach XD
  • andyluvv
    Options

That's true I think - Chris Pratt said that for his weight loss he was eating crazy amounts of turkey and he wouldn't have protein shakes as they don't provide the same thermogenic effect as actually eating the meat.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    andyluvv wrote: »

That's true I think - Chris Pratt said that for his weight loss he was eating crazy amounts of turkey and he wouldn't have protein shakes as they don't provide the same thermogenic effect as actually eating the meat.

Well if Chris Pratt says so, it must be true.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

This
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Weight loss is still about the deficit.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    No, that is not how food works.
  • andyluvv
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Weight loss is still about the deficit.

Oh I didn't say it wasn't.
    I just agreed that different food can act on the body differently.

Think how research shows that the oil in coconut oil is used by the body as preferred form of energy rather than just fat. http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

So you're confusing TEF with a "fat burning food" ... it seems your inaccuracies span all threads you post in.
  • _BunnyMomma_
    _BunnyMomma_ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    From my research and speaking with biology majors about how the body processes food, it is not all about deficit. If you go in to too much of a deficit them you're body slows down your metabolism and burns food slower. This means you could be eating very little bit losing as much weight as you souls be if you were eating a little bit more calories. You can't increase your calories fast though or you're body will store it all as fat. Also your body processes different types of food differently. Such as carbs. If you eat too many carbs your body will store them as fat. Fat is not the primary energy source for the body so the body stores it instead of using it first. That being said, you need carbs abs you need fat for your body's metabolic functions to, well, function properly.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    From my research and speaking with biology majors about how the body processes food, it is not all about deficit. If you go in to too much of a deficit them you're body slows down your metabolism and burns food slower. This means you could be eating very little bit losing as much weight as you souls be if you were eating a little bit more calories. You can't increase your calories fast though or you're body will store it all as fat. Also your body processes different types of food differently. Such as carbs. If you eat too many carbs your body will store them as fat. Fat is not the primary energy source for the body so the body stores it instead of using it first. That being said, you need carbs abs you need fat for your body's metabolic functions to, well, function properly.

Where are you doing your research because pretty much everything you've posted is debunked by peer reviewed science.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    From my research and speaking with biology majors about how the body processes food, it is not all about deficit. If you go in to too much of a deficit them you're body slows down your metabolism and burns food slower.

Almost. If you eat at a sharp deficit for a long period of time, you might experience adaptive thermogenesis. This can be corrected somewhat. It's also not the same thing you're talking about.
    This means you could be eating very little bit losing as much weight as you souls be if you were eating a little bit more calories. You can't increase your calories fast though or you're body will store it all as fat.

Your body burns and stores fat all the time. Your body only stores excess fat if you're eating more than you burn.
    Also your body processes different types of food differently. Such as carbs. If you eat too many carbs your body will store them as fat. Fat is not the primary energy source for the body so the body stores it instead of using it first. That being said, you need carbs abs you need fat for your body's metabolic functions to, well, function properly.

Nah, if you eat too many calories, your body will store them as excess fat. Your body will convert carbs and store them, but see what I said above. We're burning and storing fat all the time. I always forget the particulars about carbs and the cycle they go through (there's conversion to glucose, something with getting stored, something with ATP and being used for available energy... but my memory sucks). The bottom line is that they do not get stored as excess fat unless you're in a calorie surplus.

• prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    1. There are a few things that could be called negative calorie - for example, if you drank one liter of ice water, you'd burn about 35 calories because your body has to warm it up to body temperature. Still, the effect is quite small and you couldn't drink enough water (without dying of hyponatremia) to make a meaningful difference.

2. If there actually was a food that gave a significant effect on metabolism, it would be very toxic. There was a now-banned diet drug that legitimately did cause your body's metabolism to be less efficient, so you needed to burn more calories for the same amount of cellular energy usage. However, the problem here is energy balance. The excess calories of energy don't just disappear, they become heat, and people can and did die from hyperthermia as their body produced heat faster than they could shed it into the environment, even when they were given carefully controlled dosages administered by doctors.

Capsaicin has the same general kind of effect as the latter, but much, much weaker. It may help a very little bit, but the effect is not going to be huge - if it had a huge effect, it would be equally deadly.

You might get a few dozens of "extra calories" by things like this, but it's not going to be a game changer.

Thank you for that thorough explanation. Much appreciated!

It's funny how companies have taken this almost null concept (fat burning foods) and have built entire products that they sell around it.

Again... Thanks for helping me clear up some misconceptions!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    I think the only foods that help with any significant calorie burning are foods that make you regurgitate. Realize that this is sarcasm, but if you don't believe me, eat a meal then try to have a bite of this after:

Balut
    b06d8e7f.jpg

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png