The evils of diet soda...

Options
I have heard so many people gasp and have small fits over those who drink a diet soda. So, what I'd really like is to know what is the big deal? I've heard people say that these 0 calorie drinks are anti-productive and can actually cause a person to gain weight - is that true and can someone explain why that is the case?

FYI - I LOVE my Wild Diet Cherry Pepsi, but do make sure that I drink my 8 glasses of water before I ever indulge. I take it as one of the few things that I can have kind of as a treat that is not really all too terrible for me and has a no calorie effect on my diet. I also try to limit myself to one a day, although I will occasionally have two.

I just want to know what the evils of drinking this soda is so that if necessary, I can begin to talk myself out of drinking it :)

Replies

• thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    From my understanding there is a TON of sodium in those diet sodas and that in turn can cause you to retain water.

Also, the effects of drinking too much aspratame is bad (although I am not too sure what they are, I just know they are bad)
  • Talako
    Talako Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Put your seat belt on. They will arrive with frothy self-rightousness in 3..2..1..
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Diet soda can't cause you to gain weight by itself. It has zero calories. But if you're using diet soda to justify adding calories elsewhere in your diet, then you have a problem on your hands.

Of course there are other health issues related to consuming artificial sweeteners, but nobody gains weight from drinking diet soda. They gain weight because they use diet soda as an excuse to eat or drink other things that they shouldn't.
  • penash
    penash Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've heard mixed messages on this issue. Some studies have suggested that aspartame makes people crave more (actual) sugar, leading to a binge...thus, weight gain. However, not everyone has this problem. I've never had an issue with my Diet Coke. It takes a full day for me to finish a 20oz soda, and completely satisfies my sweet tooth.
  • thisismynewmindset
    thisismynewmindset Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Actually jq2122 you are right! I have heard of this... it actually has a name... "the diet coke theory". You think to yourself.... oh, I had a diet coke, and not a real coke, so now I can have a doughnut!

It's a way to justify your excuses, but in the end it all adds up to pounds on that scale!!
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    Diet wild cherry is my favorite! ( ive gotten other friends hooked now 2!) They SAY that the artificial sweetener actually spikes ur blood sugar and causes you to crave sweets. In my experiance, i dont have that problem. I drink a ton of it everyday- along with water and coffee and I'm at my goal weight. I'ld say just monitor if you have higher cravings after drinking it. Me personally, I wont be giving it up.
  • jane130
    jane130 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also love diet cherry coke. I used to drink them at least once a day and occasionally more.

I don't think diet soda is evil, nor am I that scared of the phantom threat that it may cause cancer. The reason I try to stay away from diet soda is mainly because I was having a lot of dental problems. The acid in the soda was rotting my teeth and causing cavities. When I gave up soda, I didn't have any cavities at my next dental visit and I even noticed my teeth were whiter.

Another reason I tried to get away from it was because I read that putting artificial sweeteners in all your drinks just trained your body to expect everything to taste sweet. I wanted to get used to drinking water and enjoying it. Plus, if I drink soda instead of water with my meals, than that's a significant amount of water I just missed out on.

One more thing, watch out for the caffeine, that may be contributing to why you like it so much.

I don't think there's anything wrong with diet soda in moderation, it's great to have a treat that is zero calories. My only advice is to try not to become dependent on it, it really has no nutritional value.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    There have been a number of studies that show those who consume diet sodas weigh more than those who don't. I have never seen a study that convinces me that this association is causal. It makes perfect sense to me that fat people will consume diet sodas while thinner people may not worry about the calories. Also, I do believe that a "sweet tooth" (whatever that really means) may be a contributor to both weight gain and drinking of diet sodas. So, weight issues may track with diet soda consumption, but the diet soda may not be the cause of the weight issues. I am doubtful we will ever see a study that can truly answer this question. For now, I would use diet sodas cautiously but would deprive myself of something I truly valued and enjoyed given the data at hand!

If diet sodas are the peak of your concerns, I'd say you have no worries.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Let's see.
    Diet soda is not healthy therefore it is bad for you.
    It has artificial sweeteners in it that make some people crave sweets or have headaches, and may possibly give you cancer, therefore you should never touch it.
    Did I miss anything?

Personally, I think if you can drink the stuff in moderation, while I agree it's not a healthy option, I don't think it's a bad thing.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    I am actually on my 13th day without a diet soda...I was drinking 1 or 2 a day, which isn't anything terrible...and no i'm not going to judge you for drinking it :smile: I just realized it was a bad habit #1 for my wallet and #2, when i stopped drinking them, I got terrible headaches and was apparently going through caffeine withdrawl. I have read the horror blogs about how terrible they are, but for me it was more just proving to myself I could do it. Then once I realized I could get through 2 days without one, I tried for 3, etc. Now I'm craving them less and less though, and feeling better. I quit smoking in December, and I have to admit quitting Diet Coke has been harder!!
  • sushisuzi2
    sushisuzi2 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be honest, I gag on water, and will never stop drinking no cal drinks. I feel it's better than being dehydrated.
    I pee all day long.
    I don't drink alcohol because I don't enjoy the taste. Same deal with water.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Put your seat belt on. They will arrive with frothy self-rightousness in 3..2..1..

hahaha i definitely laughed out loud at this! :laugh: I do love me some diet coke but I try to limit it. I'm not sure why it's bad for you I just know that it is...but I love it!
  • SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options

So true!!!! Man I've never seen so many upright people in one place. Talking about food, to boot!
  • pittielover23
    Options
    I drink 1 diet soda a day (with lunch). People that don't like it can suck it ;)
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    Well, let’s look at the nutrition facts and then you can decide for yourself if it truly ‘good and healthy’ for you; zero calories or no. This is what you are putting into your body...

PER SERVING
    8 fl oz
    Caffeine (mg)
    Potassium (mg)
    Phosphorous (mg)
    Acesulfame Potassium (mg)
    Aspartame (mg)
    Sucralose (mg)

Ingredients:
    CARBONATED WATER, CARAMEL COLOR, PHOSPHORIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVORS, ASPARTAME, POTASSIUM BENZOATE (PRESERVES FRESHNESS), POTASSIUM CITRATE, CITRIC ACID, CAFFEINE, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (TO PROTECT FLAVOR)
    PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE.

Cited: http://www.pepsiproductfacts.com/infobyproduct.php?brand_fam_id=1051&brand_id=1000&product=Diet Pepsi Wild Cherry

Wow…I can’t even pronounce these words much less understand what they are…Do you really want to put this into your body??
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for ALL the posts - I appreciate those of you who could give me the information that you could pertaining to it's 'evilness' as well as those of you who drink nothing but 0 calorie drinks! You all gave me some interesting things to think about in drinking sodas and a few laughs as well :)

I think that I am going to go ahead with my plan - make sure I get my water in (maybe even a little more) and try to stick to one a day. It will help my wallet as one person mentioned and as another said - if this is what I'm worried about, then I'm doing pretty good - thanks for that!

I didn't think about sodium content thought - I have not been logging it since it was zero calories, but maybe I should just to make sure I have an accurate sodium count!

Thanks again everyone!
  • GARider
    GARider Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Classic! :laugh:
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    From my understanding there is a TON of sodium in those diet sodas and that in turn can cause you to retain water.

Also, the effects of drinking too much aspratame is bad (although I am not too sure what they are, I just know they are bad)

Since when is 30mg per serving a "TON"?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I'm a one a day diet soda (or iced tea, or whatever drink I'm craving) also, and have been for years. It has never inhibited my weight loss or fitness goals, so I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I think it is more of a mental thing, like a gateway drug for people. :laugh: