Oatmeal recipe advice

Options
jenniator
jenniator Posts: 475 Member
edited December 2015 in Recipes
Hey Everyone!

I've created some oatmeal recipe's since I've been craving warm food and I would love advice or other recipe suggestions. I don't have much experience in oatmeal besides plain oatmeal which always leaves me starving, so I would love any suggestions you can give me to improve my recipe's or even new recipe's. My main goal is to make the oatmeal as filling as possible without going over 300 calories. :) So far I made two that are only around 286 calories, so I'm super happy.

I use to be the type of person before that tried to cut as many calories as possible out of anything which meant I would add water instead of milk in my oatmeal and no other ingredients. 30 grams would only be 105 calories with water which I thought was a great breakfast since it had not many calories. But I'm learning that by adding more calories like milk, chai seeds, nuts, ect, that my oatmeal becomes more filling, cuts down cravings, and has a lot more nutrition. So a lot of times it's better to add a bit more calories to make your foods filling since it keeps you full longer than to cut out as many calories as possible :)

This recipe I tried yesterday and I absolutely loved it! It is pretty filling as well. Do you guys think it needs any tweaks or is it alright? I tried adding plenty of protein and healthy fat.

Festive Oatmeal:
35 grams of Oatmeal: 122.5 cal,
10 grams of cranberry nut mix: 58.5 cal
100 grams milk: 48 cal
12 grams of chia seeds: 48.8 cal
1 teaspoon cinnamon: 6 cal
Total: 283.8 cal

I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it's something I decided to create for days I'm craving something sweet and it's actually on the healthier side which is great! I crave chocolate and peanut butter a lot, so it seemed like the perfect combination! But please let me know if I should tweak it or make any adjustments since I want it to be filling and I have no experience really :)

Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal:
30 grams of Oatmeal: 105 cal
10 grams of Chocolate Protein Powder: 36.7 cal
Half Milk 100 grams: 48 cal
Skippy Crunchy Peanut Butter 16 grams: 95 cal
Total: 285.7 cal

Replies

• jenniator
    Options
    Update: Tried the Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal yesterday and it was absolutely amazing! I also tried oatmeal with just the chocolate whey protein powder. I do wish there was more of a chocolaty flavor though. Maybe it's not as chocolaty because I use chocolate Whey protein powder and not pure cocoa? Anyways I would love to hear any suggestions or opinions if you guys have any :)
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I add a 1/2 T of brown sugar, 1 T of apricot preserves, some diced dried apricot, and a few broken up walnut halves.

Oatmeal never fills me up, though. I find that grits with cheese and chopped up Canadian bacon, maybe even a poached egg on top, keeps me full until lunch.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Google "savory oatmeal" to discover lots of suggestions for making oatmeal with things like mushrooms. Incredibly tasty! You can basically treat oatmeal as you would rice in a risotto.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Thanks guys :) I never heard of savory oatmeal, but I will check it out.
  • SharaO75
    SharaO75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One of my fave breakfasts is1/3 cup cooked steel cut oats, 1/4 cup pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice (to taste) and a little squirt of agave syrup. Yummy!
  • jenniator
    Options
    SharaO75 wrote: »
    One of my fave breakfasts is1/3 cup cooked steel cut oats, 1/4 cup pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice (to taste) and a little squirt of agave syrup. Yummy!

wow Shara! That sounds absolutely delicious!! I love Pumpkin, so it sounds like something I would love :D I tried a new recipe today, my own Maple and Brown sugar oatmeal! I really love that flavor, but they don't have it in the Netherlands, so I made my own and it turned out great :)

Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal:
    30 grams of Oatmeal: 105 cal
    10 grams of brown sugar: 39.6 cal
    15 grams mapel syrup: 54.1 cal
    8 grams chai seeds: 32.5 cal
    100 grams of milk: 48 cal
    1 teaspoon cinnamin: 6 cal
    Total: 285.2 cal

I think I'm more of a sweet oatmeal person rather than savory :) But I do want to try a savory recipe some time.
  • FrancineJM61
    FrancineJM61 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    When I made my chocolate peanut butter oatmeal i used fat free sugar free hot chocolate mix get my protein, I love fruit and nuts. Im a diabetic so I add cinnamon.
  • jenniator
    edited December 2015
    Options
    When I made my chocolate peanut butter oatmeal i used fat free sugar free hot chocolate mix get my protein, I love fruit and nuts. Im a diabetic so I add cinnamon.

I actually looked at the hot chocolate mix's here, but I saw that while they are low in calorie, they are also very low in protein. So I rather use pure cocoa or protein powder :) I also love cinnamon and nuts in my oatmeal! I don't like fruit much in oatmeal for some reason, but just my preference.
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    all the above idea are good! i add oat bran to my oatmeal, along with chia seeds, unsweetened coconut flakes and usually a nut or nut flour. i like to add cinnamon too. occasionally i'll add a tbs of brewed coffee for a "mocha" taste. i don't do the fruit thing either, but my daughter loves berries in hers.
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    ooooh, i forgot.... sometimes if i'm in the mood for a crunch, i'll top it with 1/4 cup of rice krispies!
  • ceva034
    ceva034 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    One thing I have started doing is adding a zuchinni to my oats (grate it up and then throw it in). It adds a huge amount of volume and I have found helps me remain full for longer. My typical oatmeal atm will be:
    35g oats,
    20g salted caramel protein powder,
    cinnamon,
    100g grated zuchinni,
    100g light tinned peaches
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    oatmeal/chia/flax pancakes

1 jumbo egg
    2 tablespoons of a mix of ground oats, chia seeds and flax (make a flour mixture in whatever ratio you prefer)
    salt, cinnamon, and sweetener to taste

easy & healthy!!
  • mjbsmiley
    mjbsmiley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried slow cooker recipes for oatmeal? This one is SO good: http://www.skinnymom.com/slow-cooker-apple-pie-oatmeal/

I also like this recipe: http://damndelicious.net/2015/10/29/pumpkin-pie-oatmeal/ for a stove top option.

• panchango
    panchango Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My staple breakfast has been Peanut Butter & Jelly Oatmeal. I add Crazy Richards peanut powder and low sugar strawberry preserves. Not very fancy, but it keeps me full until lunch and helps avoid snacking.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    mjbsmiley wrote: »
    Have you tried slow cooker recipes for oatmeal? This one is SO good: http://www.skinnymom.com/slow-cooker-apple-pie-oatmeal/

I also like this recipe: http://damndelicious.net/2015/10/29/pumpkin-pie-oatmeal/ for a stove top option.

I tried it, but wasn't a fan of the texture of slow-cooker oatmeal, a bit too homogeneous for me.

I cook a good amount of steel-cut oats (1C) over the weekend and eat it all week. I'll add 3.5C water and a dash a salt and cook for 25 min. Then add .5C almond milk and whatever ingredients I have on hand and cook another 5-10 min. Lately, its been..
    chopped persimmon (have a tree)
    ~40g raisins or craisins
    ~40g chopped pecans
    vanilla extract
    1-2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1 tsp cardamom
    dash of cayenne

Then after I reheat portions, I'll mix in chocolate protein powder, small scoop of powdered peanut (PB2), and a splash of almond milk. The cayenne makes it deliciously warming.

I recently ordered Bob's Red Mill 7-grain hot cereal. Some of the reviews say its more filling than just oats. I'm excited to try it when it gets here!
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I do half an apple per serving, with a tsp of butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and crushed mixed nuts. Add a soft boiled egg, and it's heaven in a bowl.
  • titinil
    titinil Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    SharaO75 wrote: »

Oooh. I love pumpkin pie. I'm going to have to try this. Sounds delicious.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried making oatmeal/porridge in a slow cooker? I have some steel cut oats (Bob's Red Mill) but a hassle to cook them, found recipes online about making them in slow cooker, figured I'd do a batch & keep in fridge & warm up. So did a cup oats & 4 cups water per recipe, on low all night. I did very lightly butter the crock to avoid sticking. The oats cooked, but struck like mad to the crock. Anyone tried this with better results?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried making oatmeal/porridge in a slow cooker? I have some steel cut oats (Bob's Red Mill) but a hassle to cook them, found recipes online about making them in slow cooker, figured I'd do a batch & keep in fridge & warm up. So did a cup oats & 4 cups water per recipe, on low all night. I did very lightly butter the crock to avoid sticking. The oats cooked, but struck like mad to the crock. Anyone tried this with better results?

Yeah .. search for over night oats recipes... I personally tried to do the oatmeal thing a while back and my husband and I both are not fans... but I did try over nights oats in the crockpot as well as many other things using steel cut and rolled oats... We just outlawed the oatmeal here in my house..
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Will check for those, thanks for the tip.