• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    fairy290 wrote: »
    Hmmmm
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I am 5.9 in height....and my weight is 160 pounds...i am trying to loss weight n trying to not taking carbs since 2 months...doing brisk walk 3 times a week for 1 hour...drinking water...taking warm lemon juice in morning...and after all this not even lossing a pound...feeling dipressed...this app suggested me 1200 cal...i m taking almost 1000 daily...whats the problem..i cant figure out...if i start taking extra cal i start gaining weight...what to do?
    i take luke warm water with lemon juice in morning.
    after that 2 boil egg whites n skimmed milk tea...
    guava or 6 almonds as snack.
    in lunch any home cooked vegetables bowl or chicken like 3 small size pieces
    in evening again skimmed tea
    in dinner any salad or again chicken fried or cooked in oil or gravy...
    some cheat days with bread but try not to est carbs in the form of rice and bread.
    and i think what i consume is less than 1000 cals..

All of this is meaningless without the weight of each item to calculate the calories in each.

You need to use a food scale to weigh your foods.

Why do you think avoiding carbs will help with weight loss ?

Do think think lemon water aides in weight loss?

Food scale for before cooking? N how come i know what size or what weight i should take.

If you're eating something like a banana, you would weigh it out of it's skin, look it up in the database, and enter the serving size. So if you picked the data entry for banana, serving size of 100g, and your banana was 120g, you would enter 1.2 servings of 100g of banana.

For homemade recipes, use the recipe builder.

This is good info !
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I am 5.9 in height....and my weight is 160 pounds...i am trying to loss weight n trying to not taking carbs since 2 months...doing brisk walk 3 times a week for 1 hour...drinking water...taking warm lemon juice in morning...and after all this not even lossing a pound...feeling dipressed...this app suggested me 1200 cal...i m taking almost 1000 daily...whats the problem..i cant figure out...if i start taking extra cal i start gaining weight...what to do?
    some cheat days with bread but try not to est carbs in the form of rice and bread.

All of this is meaningless without the weight of each item to calculate the calories in each.

Also, I've eaten rice ,bread, ice cream daily each day during my weight loss process. I had no problems losing weight.
    Weight loss comes down to calories . unless you have a medical condition, carbs aren't anything to fear.
    Also, I've eaten rice ,bread, ice cream daily each day during my weight loss process. I had no problems losing weight.
    Weight loss comes down to calories . unless you have a medical condition, carbs aren't anything to fear.

So are you still losding
    Buy a food scale.

Weigh your foods.

Then put those numbers into mfp and figure out the calories in each item.

You say you had chicken with oil or gravy for dinner. That could be 300 calories or 1000 calories . you won't know for sure unless you weigh it out and use measuring cups for your liquids. ( I use food scale for food, and measuring cup for liquids)
    You must also include the calories for things like condiments, seasonings, gravy, butter ,oil and so on. Those things add up.

Okkkkk...are the food weights n sizes mention in this app or should i google it.

Have you looked at the app at all?

I'm curious as to how something thinks they know exactly how much they're eating when they haven't even seen the MFP food database.
  • fairy290
    fairy290 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

So are you still losding
    Buy a food scale.

Weigh your foods.

Then put those numbers into mfp and figure out the calories in each item.

You say you had chicken with oil or gravy for dinner. That could be 300 calories or 1000 calories . you won't know for sure unless you weigh it out and use measuring cups for your liquids. ( I use food scale for food, and measuring cup for liquids)
    You must also include the calories for things like condiments, seasonings, gravy, butter ,oil and so on. Those things add up.

Okkkkk...are the food weights n sizes mention in this app or should i google it.

No everything you need is already here :) for example, pretend you have 41grams of haribo gummy bears. You will look in the databank and look up haribo gummy bears 41 grams for 150 calories. Then you will know you have spent 150 calories out of your daily budget.
    Learning how to use a food scale is tricky at first. It took me a few weeks to really figure out how to weigh everything. But it really does help out a lot to be accurate.
    I wasn't losing at first either. It was because I was guessing my calories and not weighing everything. So this takes time. Just get yourself a scale and you'll learn all about weighing foods.
    I also saw that you asked if I was still losing, no I am currently not losing weight any more. I'm 5'8 and135 lbs . currently I'm working on other fitness goals and not concerned with weight loss at this time.
    You can do this. Walmart has food scales for around 12$ . it's a great investment in your weight loss goals !
    Weight loss comes down to calories. Calorie deficit - weight loss. I eat @190 grams of carbs per day and had no problems losing weight (some people with certain medical conditions do have to watch carbs though ) so just eat less then you burn and you'll lose weight. Make good choices for overall health . but as far as weight loss is concerned, just eat at a deficit .

Thank u...lovely and informative response...appreciated.
  • fairy290
    Options
    ultrahoon wrote: »

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

Every question you've asked is answered in detail there.

Thank you...perfect....i got it..☺
  • fairy290
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    There are so many misconceptions out there created by the diet industry to keep us confused and buying their products. The lemon juice in the morning is nice if you like the flavor, but it will add a few calories to your day, so you should be measuring everything you put into it. It will not increase your metabolism, if this is what you have heard. Carbs are not evil, either. I love a good pancake and egg breakfast, but I weigh out my portions to make sure I am not eating too much.

Many of the foods you have listed can vary considerably in size and therefore the number of calories in each can also vary considerably. Oil, gravy, nuts are all nice to have, but can easily be underestimated. Purchasing a food scale will provide you with the most accurate information on how much you are actually consuming. You might be surprised! I was very sad the day I realized how small a single serving of cheese really is.

In all honesty, you don't really know how much you are eating. Trust me, the food scale will open your eyes considerably. You can do this!

Right...i think i am not calculating right...thank u dear for guidance..☺
  • Getty59
    Getty59 Posts: 72 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    sorry but ROFL
  • Getty59
    Getty59 Posts: 72 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    There are so many misconceptions out there created by the diet industry to keep us confused and buying their products. The lemon juice in the morning is nice if you like the flavor, but it will add a few calories to your day, so you should be measuring everything you put into it. It will not increase your metabolism, if this is what you have heard. Carbs are not evil, either. I love a good pancake and egg breakfast, but I weigh out my portions to make sure I am not eating too much.

Many of the foods you have listed can vary considerably in size and therefore the number of calories in each can also vary considerably. Oil, gravy, nuts are all nice to have, but can easily be underestimated. Purchasing a food scale will provide you with the most accurate information on how much you are actually consuming. You might be surprised! I was very sad the day I realized how small a single serving of cheese really is.

In all honesty, you don't really know how much you are eating. Trust me, the food scale will open your eyes considerably. You can do this!

Right...i think i am not calculating right...thank u dear for guidance..☺

You are very welcome. Best of luck :smile:
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    I don't have the link but I remember there being a thread here a long time ago about step by step weighing foods. I wish I could remember the exact name because it would benefit you .
    I also struggled at the beginning with weighing everything and logging it accurately. It takes time to get used to but it really is worth it.
    Just like a I previously mentioned about your dinner , that could've been anywhere between 300-1000 calories . so that's why weighing is important. It takes away the guesswork. Be mindful that picking the correct entry is also super important. Try to go with USDA or verified when in doubt because sadly some of the foods listed can have errors ( but this sites database is still far superior to any other I've tried )
    My friend @arditarose is really good at explaining how to begin weighing foods ( I've watched her explain it several times so maybe tag her if you are still having trouble and see if she can explain this better then I can )
    Don't be afraid to ask questions if you have an issue , then create a thread and many people will try their best to explain it. Many of us have also struggled while just starting out so have been there.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This is a pretty good thread to get started with weighing your food: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1290491/how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale/p1
  • zoeysasha37
    Options
    This is a pretty good thread to get started with weighing your food: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1290491/how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale/p1

This is what I was thinking of !! Thanks @diannethegeek ! You always come through with the good ones !
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Here is what to do:

1. Click on FOOD (top left on the page)
    2. Go to a meal, for example breakfast
    3. Click on "Add Food"
    4. You will see a search bar under "Search our food database by name"
    5. Enter the name of the food that you want to eat
    6. Click enter
    7. Find the closest match and enter the amount that you plan to eat. Use measuring cups/spoons for liquids. Solids are most accurately measured with a food scale.
    8. The database here will tell you how many calories each item has and will add up the whole day for you. YOU DO NOT NEED TO SEARCH GOOGLE OR DO ANY CALCULATING.

Does that help?

If English is not your first language, you can change the site to a language other than English.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Hmmmm

Food scale for before cooking? N how come i know what size or what weight i should take.

You only need to restrict carbs if you have specific metabolic disorders, such as diabetes.

You don't necessarily know what a good combination of foods will be in advance. This is why planning your whole day BEFORE you eat is a good idea when possible. This program will tell you if you are meeting your goals for calories and macros. Macros are carbs, protein, fat, etc.

The first step is to start tracking everything. Once you do that for a while, you will learn what works for you.

• zoeysasha37
    Options
    Op, here's a funny story a bout when I first started. I ate a large slice of chocolate cake with frosting . I didn't weigh any of the ingredients, I just made the cake. Well after eating a large slice I went to log it ( I didn't understand that all the individual ingredients needed it be weighed and stuff yet )
    I found an entry in the databank for 200 cals per slice of chocolate cake. ( remember I didn't know any better yet lol !) So I picked that one and thought the slice was 200 cals because the database said so.
    Well a few months later after I understood that each ingredient needed to be weighed and logged individually , I made the same cake. A slice was actually 560 cals and a large double portion slice would've been about 1000!
    So it was a big difference in calories. Those types of differences can make or break your weight loss plan.
    So now when I make a cake, I weigh the flour, the chocolate and so on until I've created a whole recipe in my food list.
    My point is that being accurate helps a lot ! It takes some work at first but is totally worth it!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

Here's the thing. The body never lies.

How much we eat supports our weight. If we eat too much we gain weight, if we eat too little, we lose weight, and if we eat just the right amount we maintain weight.

If you were truly eating 1,000 calories or less you would be losing weight. Whatever is happening with your body now is supported by how much food you are eating.

Go get a food scale. Weigh your portions, make sure you are using correct entries and accurately logging those entries. Log everything you eat and drink. That's the only way to truly know how much you are eating. Otherwise, you are just guessing.
  • fairy290
    Options
    Op, here's a funny story a bout when I first started. I ate a large slice of chocolate cake with frosting . I didn't weigh any of the ingredients, I just made the cake. Well after eating a large slice I went to log it ( I didn't understand that all the individual ingredients needed it be weighed and stuff yet )
    I found an entry in the databank for 200 cals per slice of chocolate cake. ( remember I didn't know any better yet lol !) So I picked that one and thought the slice was 200 cals because the database said so.
    Well a few months later after I understood that each ingredient needed to be weighed and logged individually , I made the same cake. A slice was actually 560 cals and a large double portion slice would've been about 1000!
    So it was a big difference in calories. Those types of differences can make or break your weight loss plan.
    So now when I make a cake, I weigh the flour, the chocolate and so on until I've created a whole recipe in my food list.
    My point is that being accurate helps a lot ! It takes some work at first but is totally worth it!

Uuufffff....its horrible..its a real difficult task...but i tried to maintain the diary today with concern....but still not satisfied...☺
  • fairy290
    Options
    Here is what to do:

3. Click on "Add Food"
    6. Click enter
    7. Find the closest match and enter the amount that you plan to eat. Use measuring cups/spoons for liquids. Solids are most accurately measured with a food scale.
    8. The database here will tell you how many calories each item has and will add up the whole day for you. YOU DO NOT NEED TO SEARCH GOOGLE OR DO ANY CALCULATING.

Does that help?

If English is not your first language, you can change the site to a language other than English.
    Here is what to do:

3. Click on "Add Food"
    6. Click enter

Does that help?

Here is what to do:

3. Click on "Add Food"
    6. Click enter

Does that help?

Here is what to do:

3. Click on "Add Food"
    6. Click enter

Does that help?

Here is what to do:

3. Click on "Add Food"
    6. Click enter

Does that help?

Here is what to do:

3. Click on "Add Food"
    6. Click enter

Does that help?

Yes..i m getting the point...today i maintained my diary with this method....hope for the best....n thank u do much dear...☺
    Getty59 wrote: »
    sorry but ROFL

Can u explain why.?
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I assume English is not your first language and that says to me the language barrier may be making it hard to log your food properly.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Weighing food will help greatly!

My scale broke a few months ago, and I had to go without one until recently. I'm obviously not good at estimating weight, as I didn't lose weight until I started weighing out my food. The banana in my morning smoothie was actually 160g instead of my estimated 100g! To figure out how much to eat, just set out a plate of your usual foods, weigh everything then log all the foods separately. It may take a couple of weeks to get used to weighing, but it is worth it.

For example, a serving size of peanut butter is 1 tablespoon, or 15 grams.
    Thing is, that 1TBS of peanut butter ended up weighing more than 15g! Double check serving sizes and weights on pre-packaged foods... Sliced bread weight can differ from slice to slice.

To make things easier, I pre-log and weigh my food the night before.

Don't eat less than 1200 cals.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options

Uuufffff....its horrible..its a real difficult task...but i tried to maintain the diary today with concern....but still not satisfied...☺

It is very hard when you start, but it gets much easier when you have done it for a while. In a week you will find it much less difficult.

Once you have entered your favorite foods and recipes, all you have to do is some simple clicking.

Uggg...I need to make a tres leches cake for an upcoming birthday and I am not looking forward to having to enter the whole thing so that I can have one piece of cake. Oh well, such is life! :)