Carbs, Carbs, CARBS! They are everywhere! Help!

Options
I am looking for some low carb or no carb food and snacks. What are your favorites?? I need ideas for snacks ! Thanks!

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Low carb (most) Cheeses, Macadamia Nuts, Sliced Deli Turkey, Brocolli, .....Pork Rinds (don't overdue - high in Protein)......
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So my assumption is that you know all the facts about low carb just being a route to calorie defecit, that carbs aremt the devil and many successful people lose and maintain whilst eating carbs (mine were and are around 50-60% diet)

That said there are millions of low carb snacks

From the precooked and seasoned meats (home made or shop bought) which may well be a go to
    Cheese
    Avocado
    Eggs
    Ham wrapped round green beans
    You can even get protein chips and
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Make sugar-free lime Jello with part coconut milk -- For a large package, dissolve the powder in a cup of boiling water, add a can of coconut milk, and then add the rest of the water. Stir well.
    roasted or raw almonds
    Smoked salmon and cream cheese on cucumber slices
    Lettuce Roll-ups -- Roll luncheon meat, egg salad, tuna or other filling and veggies in lettuce leaves
    Lunch Meat Roll-ups -- Roll cheese or veggies in lunch meat (read the labels for carbs on the lunch meat)
    Spread bean dip, spinach dip, or other low-carb dip or spread on lunch meat or lettuce and then roll it up
    Ricotta cheese with fruit and/or nuts and/or flax seed meal
    Garlic Parmesan Flax Crackers with dip
    Cheese Crisps
    Peanut Butter Protein Balls
    Bean dip with cheese crisps, flax crackers or sour cream chive crackers
    Carbmaster yogurt
    Plain yogurt with fruit (and artificial sweetener as needed)

also this link has a ton of ideas
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I make kale chips and collard green chips...my favorite variety is Sirracha! I mix about a tbsp of each Sirracha and olive oil, tear off the leaves from the big stalks, coat in the mixture and bake at 300, flipping a few times until dry. I also like Sea Snax, of course cheese, I roll up lunch meat and just eat it, guacamole and veggies, dressing and veggies, nuts, nut butters, pork rinds, soy chips if you eat soy (I don't), Jerky, Salami and provolone rolled up, pepperoni and provolone rolled up and dipped in marinara, pepperoni chips, a small portion of anything you like for meals, cold chicken legs or wings, bacon, I eat Italian sausage cold with some mustard, EGGS!! Hard boiled, deviled, egg salad in lettuce wraps or wrapped in ham...So many possibilities!
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Vegetables? Depending on the veggie it can be a low cab source.
    Try to get fibre which is so difficult on a low carb diet x
  • TammyDostie
    TammyDostie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys are great!! Thanks for all your help! Now I have some ideas where I can go from here and what I can eat! :)<3
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My snacks tend to be high fat and lower carb. Nuts (macadamia is my favourite), cheese, pepperoni stick, avocado, cheese dip and veggies or porkrinds, leftover dinners or breakfast, and bullet proof coffee (coffee with fats added like cream, coconut oil, and butter - whip / beat it first though). Fat bombs are great treats.

Try the Low Carber Daily subgroup for more information and support. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group Best wishes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I am looking for some low carb or no carb food and snacks. What are your favorites?? I need ideas for snacks ! Thanks!

The carbs are coming, the carbs are coming!

Seriously, so what, carbs are in many foods that are extremely healthy for you. Why not focus on overall nutrition and the healthfulness of your diet and not "carbs"? (I say this just because you seem to not be that familiar yet with what has carbs and what does not.)

If you really want to limit them, though, understanding what doesn't have them is easy. Meat (including fish and shellfish), fat based foods (eggs don't have too many, cheese, nuts are pretty low), and while vegetables are mostly carbs they are extremely low in calories so the total amount of carbs is low.

My diet would be a lot less healthy if I cut out the carbs, however.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I really love deviled eggs, eggs mashed with avocados, or hard boiled eggs with a bit of sriracha.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Seriously, so what, carbs are in many foods that are extremely healthy for you. Why not focus on overall nutrition and the healthfulness of your diet and not "carbs"? (I say this just because you seem to not be that familiar yet with what has carbs and what does not.)

If you really want to limit them, though, understanding what doesn't have them is easy. Meat (including fish and shellfish), fat based foods (eggs don't have too many, cheese, nuts are pretty low), and while vegetables are mostly carbs they are extremely low in calories so the total amount of carbs is low.

I am trying to limit my carbs especially for snacks. It has nothing to do with thinking that carbs are "evil" or whether they are healthy or not or even hitting a calorie goal. Some of us have reasons that go beyond "the carbs are coming".

OP...I don't know why you are trying to control your carbs or how low that you are wanting to go but there are many low carb sites on the web that can give you some ideas. You can also go the the group section here on MFP and find several low carb entries.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    Make sugar-free lime Jello with part coconut milk -- For a large package, dissolve the powder in a cup of boiling water, add a can of coconut milk, and then add the rest of the water. Stir well.
    roasted or raw almonds
    Lettuce Roll-ups -- Roll luncheon meat, egg salad, tuna or other filling and veggies in lettuce leaves
    Lunch Meat Roll-ups -- Roll cheese or veggies in lunch meat (read the labels for carbs on the lunch meat)
    Spread bean dip, spinach dip, or other low-carb dip or spread on lunch meat or lettuce and then roll it up
    Cheese Crisps
    Carbmaster yogurt

I like the list but what are PB protein balls?!? Help!!!!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I am trying to limit my carbs especially for snacks. It has nothing to do with thinking that carbs are "evil" or whether they are healthy or not or even hitting a calorie goal. Some of us have reasons that go beyond "the carbs are coming".

Which is why I provided the remainder of my answer.

That said, if one focuses on getting adequate protein, balanced meals, and an adequate amount of nutrients by eating an overall mixed and balanced diet, I'd be willing to bet that carbs take care of themselves, unless one has a really low goal (and if so the question is why -- some have good reasons or are trying out low carb for reasons they've thought through, but many others seem to have been told that "carbs" are "bad" or interfere with weight loss, so must be avoided -- many who pick up that idea seem not to even understand the differences between carbs, fat, and protein or what foods contain them -- I'm always surprised that many newbies on MFP try to avoid carbs without yet knowing what foods they are in or express surprise that carbs are in fruit, etc.).
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    roasted or raw almonds
    Cheese Crisps
    Carbmaster yogurt

I don't actually have a recipe for them! I've been scouring my computer - I *must* have had the recipe sometime but I can't find it anywhere. I wonder if Pinterest or Google would help...
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of low carb recipes on Pinterest. Just do a search for keto or low carb.
    I luckily don't hunger for snacks that much, but usually having some cheese on hand does the trick.

You can also make crackers from flax seeds. Usually I just mix them (and maybe some ground flax seed) with water, although some versions add egg.
    Mix it together, flatten it ( I use a rolling pin with the mixture between two sheets of parchment paper) and bake.
    If you crave crackers or something to hold cheese/dip into dressings, etc...this might do the trick.
    Flax seed basically just passes through your system and is high fiber...so almost negligible net carbs.
    Here are a few:
    http://www.lowcarbrecipeideas.com/low-carb-flaxseed-chips-recipe/
    http://fedandfit.com/2012/12/13/paleo-cranberry-salsa-and-chips/
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    roasted or raw almonds
    Cheese Crisps
    Carbmaster yogurt

I don't actually have a recipe for them! I've been scouring my computer - I *must* have had the recipe sometime but I can't find it anywhere. I wonder if Pinterest or Google would help...
    roasted or raw almonds
    Cheese Crisps
    Carbmaster yogurt

I'll look. They sound interesting; mainly because PB goes well with most things.
  • TammyDostie
    TammyDostie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Again, more thanks goes out to everyone commenting here. I appreciate it. I am trying to avoid the bad carbs as much as possible--Yes, I know the difference...this ain't my first rodeo...I have been overweight all my life. Just trying to get ideas as to what others like, so I won't get tired of eating the same things over and over. I appreciate the help!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Again, more thanks goes out to everyone commenting here. I appreciate it. I am trying to avoid the bad carbs as much as possible--Yes, I know the difference...this ain't my first rodeo...I have been overweight all my life. Just trying to get ideas as to what others like, so I won't get tired of eating the same things over and over. I appreciate the help!

oh noes .. you used the bad carbs / good carbs phrase

duck

this'll get weird now ;)

lots on here don't believe in bad food / good food .. just CICO and foods in moderation ..

but again my assumption is you know this and choose to go low carb because it suits you.

For me, I've been round this rodeo humpty-one times and this is the first time I've lost all my weight and hit maintenance and stayed here for almost a year .. the difference being throwing away everything I thought I knew and just focusing on calories in / calories out, an eye to protein and fats as minimums and a wide nutritional spread of foods including every kind of food you can name or crave .. result was no craving, no crashing and burning and a normalish life. Also resistance training
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    For peanut butter balls. I have several cookbooks w/ recipes in them but have never tried them. They are all vegan, so perhaps some of the vegan foodie/recipe websites would be the place to find them.