What fitness tracker?

Options
Hey guys
So I'm looking at getting a fitness tracking band to use on a daily basis and in the gym. What would you recommend? At the moment I'm looking at Fitbit flex or Jawbone up2. Let me know what you think :)

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    What kinds of things are you looking to track?

I have a Flex. It can track step-based activity pretty well (walking and running - not elliptical, though, since you're not really stepping). I have found it doesn't always record steps if I'm pushing a cart or something similar, but it also records stuff inaccurately if I'm moving my arms but not walking. Overall, these cancel each other out since I don't spend much time pushing things.

My only complaint is the bands tend to rip eventually - you have to bend the band to get the tracker out to charge it, and, over time, the band will eventually tear. I got a replacement from Fitbit the first time around, and now I've ordered some on Amazon from another company. If you get a Flex, I would recommend hitting Amazon or ebay right away and getting extra bands. I paid $10 for 3 and have heard of folks getting them for as little as $1/band.

If you have specific questions, let me know.

~Lyssa
  • cjsgrimlin1
    cjsgrimlin1 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a Jawbone up24. I like it for the data but i dont like the design. it catches on things and bends it. if you get it too small, like i did it tends to make your wrist hurt. I suggest something that does have a clasp. If you go jawbone i'd suggest the up 3 or 4 if you have American express (4). If you go fitbit I would go charge, charge HR. I donno if GPS and phone notifications would be worth it for the surge I haven't tried it. My sister has a charge and she loves it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    KateO_o wrote: »
    Hey guys
    So I'm looking at getting a fitness tracking band to use on a daily basis and in the gym. What would you recommend? At the moment I'm looking at Fitbit flex or Jawbone up2. Let me know what you think :)

IT would be helpful to understand what type of activity you do in the gym, and what sort of data you'd hope to gain from using a device. There are different categories and what's right for you may be inappropriate for you.

With amn open ended question and no information about how you're going to us it, all you're going to get is a list of what devices people have.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Just got my fitbit surge hr. ....best thing I've bought in ages. ...accurate, syncs well... I was always sceptical about them but really recommend it..good luck :wink:
  • KateO_o
    KateO_o Posts: 9 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hey sorry bit of a rushed post. Gym wise it would be for tracking cardio such as treadmill running but more for day to day non gym activity. Thanks so much for all the advice. I really appreciate it
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    KateO_o wrote: »
    ...Gym wise it would be for tracking cardio such as treadmill running but more for day to day non gym activity...

So personally I'd go for a Forerunner 225, which has the flexibility to give you GPS for real world running as well as a good optical HR implementation and some running dynamics data. It's also got an embedded step tracker for routine activity. If your budget stretches to it then the Forerunner 920XT has a wider set of capabilities around cycling and swimming as well.

There are recently announced updates to the Forerunner range but nothing much on the market yet about whether they're value for money or not compared to the legacy versions.

Personally I'd steer clear of entry level, such as the FitBit range as they've not developed their non-step tracking capabilities all that far.

• utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I recently got a Polar M400 with the heart rate monitor strap and I really like it. I wear the HRM during running/walking, weight lifting, and my martial arts class (paired with my phone since I can't wear the watch during class) and it works great. Also tracks my steps, calories burned, and sleep, and has GPS and an interval timer. I went with this one because of the enhanced features specific for running training, too.
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've been using the Scosche Rhythm+ HRT monitor and Sports-Tracker app. The app tracks my heart rate, calories burned, has GPS and a bunch of other tools. I love them!
  • scubagal71
    scubagal71 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Scosche Rhythm+ HRT monitor and Sports-Tracker app. The app tracks my heart rate, calories burned, has GPS and a bunch of other tools. I love them!

May I ask, how are you getting this to sync? I must be dumb, I have never had this much problem with a device, my body media, my jawbone, all of them synced perfectly, but I just bought the rhythm to replace my old bodymeida device and when I go to apps to connect, it just takes me to the scosche home page. Is there an app from Scosche I need? In the app store, there isn't one that stands out to me, the one that looks like it might be it has horrible reviews. I am stumped. thanks!