I keep running out of protein, but have tons of carbs and calories left. Help!

Options
I have been planning my meals for the next day. I keep running out of protein, but have tons of calories and carbs leftover. Everything I put in has some protein so my negative count on the protein continues to rise.

Replies

• QoLmatters
    QoLmatters Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Try eating more rice and or bread. I usually have rice crackers as a snack to make up some carbs.
  • dalielahdawn
    dalielahdawn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Is there an issue with eating extra protien?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Protein and fats are minimums so don't worry about it
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    I don't get it? Why are you freaking out about eating high proteins?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Protein is fine. And chances are, if you used the automatic calorie calculator in MFP the protein it gave you is fairly low anyway.
  • rbunt
    rbunt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I was concerned about the amount of protein because I had read where it was hard on your liver to break it down.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    How low on calories are you?
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open, so I can't see what you ARE eating. Possibly you're having animal protein at every meal? I only have that at most once a day, and most days I have none (I have a semi-vegetarian life where I occasionally will eat fish or chicken but never any mammals). There is still some protein in vegetables, so maybe having a large salad that's mostly green will help fill you up without having too much animal protein?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rbunt wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I was concerned about the amount of protein because I had read where it was hard on your liver to break it down.

Do you have a liver condition you haven't mentioned?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    rbunt wrote: »

You're thinking of the kidneys and unless you have a disease they're ok with 200g of protein
  • dksmith20110
    dksmith20110 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein brand shakes to supplement on days I don't get enough protein. It is mostly protein and added carbs are minimal. Use it to try to keep my protein intake at or near 20%. Of course, spread your proteins out over the day, not all in one meal, so supplement a low protein (higher carb) meal.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    #1 Being slightly over (within 10%) is not a problem
    #2 there are quite a few foods high in carbs and low in protein, fruit, breads, rice
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    @rbunt would you please set your diary sharing to Public? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I know it's confusing because when you go over protein, it's in the red and has a negative, which makes it look like a bad thing. But unless you have certain conditions, it's fine to be over in everything but calories. I pay attention to my macros because when I eat too many carbs in relation to protein I get hungry sooner, which makes it harder to stay in a deficit, and I also feel better when my protein is around 30%.

That said, with only five pounds to lose, unless you are very very short, you can eat more than 1200 calories. Set your weight loss goal to lose 0.5 pound per week.

Looks like you've been undereating to try to not go in the red, so I'm glad you asked this question :)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    You've got lots of grains, but not a whole lot of green veggies. Eating greens will raise your carbs and fiber without raising your protein
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have a HARD time getting enough protein. I need some pointers. What are you eating?
  • rbunt
    rbunt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    To prettysoul1908: I am eating a lot of ground turkey and chicken breast.