Any advice?!?!

So I have started a 1200 diet and before when I was doing low carb/high protein I had no problem feeling hungry but doing this I felt hungry last night. I want to believe its all in my head because I felt I had a very filling dinner. Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you ☺

Replies

• allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    1200 why so low? I have about 100 lbs to lose and I'm at 1700 without exercise. I tried 1200 couldn't do it.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    I try to eat high fiber high protean that tends to keep me full, but I do have a problem with eating at night so I try to save some of my calories for that. If not I will go to bed earlier.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    It does help if you fill up on lots of veg with each meal, that will bulk it up and keep your calories down. Protein and fats do keep you feeling fuller for longer.

Perhaps you have set MFP to lose higher amount per week and therefore why you have low number?

Any exercise you do should be logged and eat back 50-75% to account for over estimation in the database for calorie burns.

For me I chose to lose slowly, 1/2lb per week and that meant I got to enjoy 1400 calories plus exercise - and I ate 50-75% of my exercise cals back and mostly lost 1/2lb a week. I also try to move when I can, take a walk, do a youtube workout etc and then progressed to running. You don't have to exercise to lose weight but it helps up your daily TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and you'll benefit in loads more ways - you'll have more energy, sleep better and generally feel better about yourself :smile:

All the very best for your weight loss journey :smile:
  • cassandranken
    cassandranken Posts: 129 Member
    edited December 2015
    If you find you aren't losing, that number might be too low. I know, I sometimes think I need a lower number to see a bigger loss but sometimes that's just not true. I did still lose weight, but I always felt icky and sick.

I'd really suggest making sure you're getting enough water. I'm definitely not and I can totally tell. As far as tips though...I'm one of those people that's hungry all day long no matter how many veggies I eat or how much water I drink, so try and keep some healthy snacks around that can acutally fill you up.
  • kleamon15
    kleamon15 Posts: 7 Member
    1200 why so low? I have about 100 lbs to lose and I'm at 1700 without exercise. I tried 1200 couldn't do it.

Well its what I went to first and I have 100lbs to lose myself. Thought I would give this a shot but its only been one day so I know I'm jumping the gun but its been a while since I went off low carb and have been extremely bad for a while now so I know its going to be an adjustment process.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited December 2015
    If you have 100lbs to lose, you should be fine with just setting MFP to 2lbs a week. I don't know your other stats, so I have no other advice for that, but you shouldn't have to start that low with that much to lose. As you lose weight, you'll need to readjust your calorie limit, but you're better off letting MFP or some other online calculator help you figure out where to start.

However, for the rest, start slow. Don't try and cut back on everything all at once! The whole idea of this is to retrain your brain and body to what proper portions are, and that means changing established habits. So start with only a couple of things, give yourself time to get used to them, and then change something else. That can mean you'll be over on calories for a few weeks, but trying to make all the changes at once can make you miserable. Learn what a single portion of your favorite foods are and work them into your diet. That will help you emotionally because you're not depriving yourself of things you like, just learning how to limit them to what is healthier. It is a slow process, but one that will help you KEEP the weight off once you lose it.

If you're looking for foods to keep full, high-fiber veggies are good for some people. For me, protein and carbs are what keep me full. Everyone is different, so you'll have to sort through and try different suggestions that appeal to you to find what works for you.

You can also split up your calories so you're eating more frequently. Time of day that you eat does not matter. (Well, unless you have meds or a medical condition that limits you.) Some people do well with 2-3 meals and that's it, some do well with 4-5 meals and a snack. As long as your total calories is where it should be, how much eat and and what times will be whatever works best for you.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    kleamon15 wrote: »

Well its what I went to first and I have 100lbs to lose myself. Thought I would give this a shot but its only been one day so I know I'm jumping the gun but its been a while since I went off low carb and have been extremely bad for a while now so I know its going to be an adjustment process.

You can eat more and still lose effectively. 1200 calories is probably too low and will lead to falling off the wagon (I speak from experience). Try setting your goal to 1 pound per week. Chances are if you weigh and log all your food/drinks you will lose more than a pound a week, but at least this doesn't set you up for failure. I am maintaining at 147 and I eat 1900 calories a day. I would hate to see someone fail because they were following poor advice, so please don't follow in my footsteps (my doc told me 1200 was the only way to go, but that's another story for another time). If you need any help or need support I'm here for you!! You can do this and you are worth it!
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    If you were satisfied with a higher protein diet before, then perhaps a higher protein diet would help you feel fuller now, as well. You can adjust the amounts of protein, fat and carbohydrates in your daily "allowance" if that helps you track better (so you can see it on the screen in your diary), or just include more protein-based foods in each meal.