Favourite easy family friendly vegan recipes

Options
I am attempting to wean myself off of the sugar,and other crap I am addicted to and try veganism ( with the occasional addition of local free range meat,eggs and dairy) for a while.
I have a 3 year old at home ,and work 12 hour shifts so I need easy meals I can cook in bulk,or even your favorite vegan cheats (ie instant/frozen)

Replies

• Gotchocolate
    Gotchocolate Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm newly vegan, about 2 months now, I have a 2.5 year old and hubby who are not vegan, but I try to get them to eat more plant based foods. A quick lunch is an organic whole wheat pita bread, with hummus and fruit. The vitamin c in fruit helps aid in absorption of iron, so I try to pair a fruit with our meals as much as possible. Also, I've found a red lentil and quinoa pasta, from whole foods, that I make with organic marinara sauce, it has lots of protein. Peas are great to have on hand, lots of protein and vitamins too. Also, Amy's Dairy free bean burritos are great in a pinch. I'm not a big cook, so I welcome anyone else's reccomendations too! And yay for less animal products!
  • rayleenC13
    rayleenC13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Newly vegan as well! What my fiancé and I have been doing that seems to help is to meal prep on Sunday and make some big batches of things we already love minus the meat and adding in more veggies! So for this week we made whole wheat pasta with meatless meatballs from Trader Joes, marinara, with zucchini and eggplant mixed in as well. We also made a sort of thai flavored fried rice with all sort of other veggies we had in the fridge (butternut squash, onion, red pepper, and more zucchini and eggplant. We both work long hours as well and having a bunch of prepped meals has really helped, we often even eat them when we get home because who wants to cook after working such a long day! They last most of the week and we supplement with fruit and some snacks like the mamma chia squeeze packs, lara bars, sometimes trail mix as well.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Especially with it being winter, stews are your friend. Slow cooker, make ahead, freeze.

Vegetarian Hoppin’ John
    Hoppin’ John is often eaten at New Year’s, but it’s a great meal the rest of the year too. This vegetarian version is lighter and still packed with protein. This is a good recipe to make ahead and refrigerate.
    • Prep: 10 minutes
    • Cook Time: 90 minutes
    • Servings: 6
    • Equipment: 6-quart or larger pot with lid, knife, cutting board, large spoon to stir
    Ingredients:
    • 16 oz. dry black eyed peas (rinsed and picked through for stones)
    • 1 cup parboiled or converted rice*
    • 2 medium yellow onions
    • 4 stalks celery
    • 2 green bell peppers
    • 1 tbsp dried thyme
    • 1 tbsp garlic powder
    • 1 tbsp paprika (preferably smoked paprika)
    • 1 tbsp corn oil or other cooking oil
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1 tbsp hot sauce
    • ¼ cup barbeque sauce
    • 6-7 cups water
    Directions:
    1. Loosely dice onions, celery and peppers. Sauté on medium heat with oil until onions are translucent.
    2. Add garlic powder, paprika and thyme. Stir to coat evenly.
    3. Add black eyed peas, barbeque sauce and 6 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low heat, covered, for 90 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
    4. Check to make sure peas are tender and that about two cups of cooking liquid remain. Add more if needed, then add salt and hot sauce to taste.
    5. Add rice, stir well, and cover for 30 minutes on lowest heat. (Optional: Add a cup of diced ham or sausage)
    6. Check to make sure rice is cooked and serve with more hot sauce. (Optional: Garnish with chopped green onions.)
    *Parboiled or converted rice is not the same as pre-cooked. It has been specially processed to retain about 80% of the nutrients found in brown rice. It has twice the fiber of white rice (but 50% less than brown rice.) It works well in soup and stew recipes like this because it doesn’t absorb as much water or lose its shape.
  • ShadowDance
    ShadowDance Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Cooking in bulk can be anything really. I love to make all kinds of soups, chili sin carne (just add TVP instead of the meat) or stews. Oven roasted veggies are great too. Just cut up your favourite veggies and some tofu, toss them in a bit of oil and herbs and roast them in the oven.. super fast.

For treats, banana ice cream is great. Cut banana into chunks and freeze. Thaw frozen bananas for about 10 minutes, then blend them with just a dash of almond milk (stevia, cacao powder, nuts or nut butter can be optional additions). I also like to make protein cookies for my treats. I simply mix my vegan protein powder with oats, some stevia, unsweetened apple sauce, little bit of almond milk and bake in the oven until yummy. Another one would be chia pudding.

Hope this helps :smile: I added some soup ideas below.

Soups:
    - Squash: Buttercup squash, carrots, onions, tofu, ginger, orange juice, cumin, salt, pepper --> purer at the end and add some almond milk
    - Lentil soup: Sautee garlic and onion, then add lentils and water and all kinds of veggies: celery, carrots, potatoes, broccoli, leek etc.
    - Mushroom soup: with mushrooms, leek and celery
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Theppk.com has an awesome slow cooker chili. They have lots of other good recipes too. Seitan picatta is a favorite at our house.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    We love this at my house and freeze it easily.
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/08/african-peanut-stew-vegan/
  • steeheart
    steeheart Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For vegan frozen/pre made food, head to trader joes. Their frozen black bean and corn enchiladas, frozen vegetable burritos, and fresh hummus/lentil wraps are great.
  • PamelaRoseD
    PamelaRoseD Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am newly vegan as well! For about 2 months now. It's been great! I also like to hear about new things to try! Our "go to" meals are chili, soups, taco salad, "pizza" where we use a vegan tortilla and put our own pizza sauce and veggies on it and bake! So good! We've been enjoying veggie "pho", baked rice paper rolls with veggies, some mono meals of fruit, lots of smoothies etc.

• YeaYeaPueblo
    YeaYeaPueblo Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Try the Oh She Glows cookbook! My family and I love the cookie dough bites, Tex mex casserole, and tortilla soup. All super simple to make ahead and freeze for later.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/brown-rice-and-lentil-casserole-74629

Make it with veggie broth and vegan cheese. Or no cheese. I like it better without the cheese. It's a basic recipe, and you can change up the veggies and seasonings as you like. Read the comments on the recipe for some good ideas. This takes just a few minutes to throw together, and freezes well after it's cooked.