The Grief of losing a parent

Options
My life has been rocked the past 2 months. Long story short in the beginning of October my father's doctor took blood work and it all unraveled. My father who was disabled (eye disease) and had been living with me for the past 10 or so years went into the ER with another infection is his foot... turns out he was then diagnosed with Leukemia. And within a month (on Nov 11th) my father took his last breath on earth. The time in the hospital wasn't good trying to get healthy along with the emotions of everything and now that he is gone I am utterly lost. I have good days and good moments but it's hard walking past his room and him not being there, my world has shifted and I'm not sure how to focus on getting healthy and losing the weight plus what I have gained during this time as well! I am driven to do so more so I can continue to live the life he would want me to have but I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that won't go away. My husband works the opposite schedule as me so being home alone and falling asleep alone gets to me. Being back to work and trying to get back into my normal routine hits me hard when I realize my "normal" routine will never be the same again... Anyone been through this that has any tips? Sorry if this seems long and confusing.

Replies

• livelaughloveandfit
    Options
    I haven't been through what you have been through but when I get go through tough times I just try to take it day by day. If I have a bad day I just try to make the next day better even if it isnt my best. I am sorry for your loss! I couldn't even imagine what your are going through! Feel free to add me!
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,526 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. I have not lost a parent, but I did lose my older sister to cancer a little under a year and a half ago, so I do have experience with losing a very close family member. What I can tell you is that the wound will never fully heal, and you'll always miss that person, but it does get easier to go on. You just have to take it day by day.

If you feel like talking about it, please feel free to message me.
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I too lost my father this year, in April. He lived with us as well, and I was amazed at how hard it hit me. I truly didn't expect it to destroy my ability to look after myself properly. I started eating gallons of ice cream and skipping the gym. Right now, 6 months later, I am slowly getting some of myself back. I've started getting the regular gym trips done by committing to my MSP friends the day before that I will go, and asking them to check that I did. That way, I have to make excuses not to, which I don't like. As far as the overeating (another surprise, I really had my diet in hand by then), that will also just take time. It was only a few weeks ago for you. Be kind to yourself, and let what happens happen. You'll know when you are ready, and in the meantime, don't feel guilty about anything that you feel or do. Being alone would be tough. I think you need to conciously be your own best friend, and find some things you enjoy to do with any spare time you have. Small things, if you don't have much time. Deliberately stop to look at something pretty if you see something, or to savour a happy moment when one happens. I started a photo file of things that brought me joy, flowers, sunsets, the cat. Anything to bring the joy back to your world. Good luck, and message me also if you just want to talk.
  • MacHaloC
    MacHaloC Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Dealing with the unexpected loss of my father is without a doubt, one of the hardest things I have ever done. I am so sorry for what you are going through. I know that that gaping void in your life will always be there. I also know that eventually you won't cry every time you think of him. Eventually you will smile at the memories. There will still be days when it hits you hard enough to bring you to your knees and that is OK. One of the things that helped bring me back was remembering how proud of me he was and how happy he was too attend my races and competitions growing up. Then I started to remember how happy they made me too. I won't promise you it will be easy. I will promise you that you are stronger than you think. Keep your head up and put one foot in front of the other. Try not to doubt yourself and know that you are loved.
  • mhollencamp102012
    mhollencamp102012 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss...it is not easy I know. I lost both my parents and my older sister with in 4 years of each other. The only advice I can give is take care of yourself....the loss will try and consume you..and there will be days it succeeds and that's OK. But the days you manage better than others take care of you....
  • nkengt83
    nkengt83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sorry my dear about your loss. My father also past away this year in Feb and i have had moments of great depression but i have actually chanel all my frustration into running 1hr a day and some boxing. I spend about 2hrs aday or more burning calories and it helps me. God bless you and stay active okay.
  • mattsgrl98
    mattsgrl98 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. I am no help advice wise. My mom is currently battling brain cancer. They have stopped her treatment and hospice has been referred. I am so lost. Ive dealt with emotional roller coaster of feelings and have put on a good 20 lbs. I am just getting back to mfp and trying to channel my crappy feelings into some sort of motivation to try and get back to a little bit of a healthy place myself. Wishing you the best of luck. Again sorry very sorry for your loss.
  • Kelly_2013
    Kelly_2013 Posts: 117 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    thank you all for your advice. It has definitely the hardest thing I've had to deal with so far, And I just don't really care about much right now but getting on the scale and seeing such a weight gain in a short amount of time when I had a lot to lose to begin with is a bit of a blow. But I am trying to at least cut out eating out at all which was what I did while he was in the hospital because it was just easier, and now it's easier to eat my feelings :(
    . I think you need to conciously be your own best friend, and find some things you enjoy to do with any spare time you have. Small things, if you don't have much time. Deliberately stop to look at something pretty if you see something, or to savour a happy moment when one happens.
    <~~~ This actually hit home and made so so so much sense to me! Thank you!!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    sorry for your loss...i lost my dad two years ago December 12 and i think about him every day. my dad had a myriad of health issues which started back when he was about my age and culminated in his untimely passing at the ripe old age of 62. some things that helped me...

- taking time for myself and giving myself a "break"...i.e. no need to beat myself up over things
    - grief counseling...this helped big time
    - letting myself cry and grieve and feel pain rather than suppressing it

as far as my health and fitness were concerned, my dad was really proud of what i had accomplished in tackling many of the same issues that were popping up for me at about the same age...when he was my age, he basically did nothing to address these issues...he was really proud that i had gotten my *kitten* together and was taking care of myself. one thing that really kept me going in this regard was not wanting to let him down...i knew that to keep on keepin' on would make him one proud papa and it was the least i could do in his memory.

many of his complications were due to his type II diabetes and i decided then and there that i would become an advocate for fighting this disease anyway i could. i had just started cycling a bit and decided to sign up for the american heart association tour de cure diabetes fund raiser ride...i trained for months and raised quite a bit of money and road in his memory and wore a picture of him on my jersey. i wept at various times throughout the ride...like i could feel him with me and i could feel his pride in what i was doing.

in training for the ride i developed a passion for cycling and have participated in a number of events since then...and i always think of dad when i'm on my bike...and he is always with me.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I had lost both my parents by 31.....I was lost for a while and didn't take care of myself physically or more importantly mentally. You have to literally stop and smell the Roses and don't feel guilty about joy. Take it one day at time and do your best whatever that is on that day (that may be just getting out of bed) there is no shame in taking medication if it becomes overwhelming and although therapy is for some dont feel bad if it isnt for you find your own (safe) release.

I'm sorry for your loss.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My mom died a few years ago from cancer right after Christmas. It was a huge blow and left a giant hole. It took time to start to feel okay/normal. During the first year I probably cried every day. I felt angry and guilty about continuing on as normal... lots of regrets. It changed my relationships with my dad completely and that was hard. My siblings became more distant. Other family members I got to know a bit better. I lost interest in some things. It was hard to think about my weight so I didn't for awhile.

Find someone you can talk to- friend, family member, support group or therapist. Don't eat your feelings or pretend you are fine. Plant a garden. Meditate. Clean. Do art. Exercise. Music was helpful to me when I was feeling bad. Do what you can and give yourself time to heal.

It has been 4 years. I think about my mom every day still. It doesn't hurt now when I think about her.
    Last year I decided to lose weight and improve my health so I can enjoy the rest of my life better. My mom's health problems and the last few years of her life are a part of that new motivation.
  • Lounmoun
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Would it be possible for you to have a pet? I found our pets somewhat comforting and I had to get out and walk the dog and such.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Kelly_2013 wrote: »
    My life has been rocked the past 2 months. Long story short in the beginning of October my father's doctor took blood work and it all unraveled. My father who was disabled (eye disease) and had been living with me for the past 10 or so years went into the ER with another infection is his foot... turns out he was then diagnosed with Leukemia. And within a month (on Nov 11th) my father took his last breath on earth. The time in the hospital wasn't good trying to get healthy along with the emotions of everything and now that he is gone I am utterly lost. I have good days and good moments but it's hard walking past his room and him not being there, my world has shifted and I'm not sure how to focus on getting healthy and losing the weight plus what I have gained during this time as well! I am driven to do so more so I can continue to live the life he would want me to have but I have this feeling in the pit of my stomach that won't go away. My husband works the opposite schedule as me so being home alone and falling asleep alone gets to me. Being back to work and trying to get back into my normal routine hits me hard when I realize my "normal" routine will never be the same again... Anyone been through this that has any tips? Sorry if this seems long and confusing.

Yes...the "normal" of your routine will never be the same but that doesn't mean that you won't find a new "normal". After losing my husband...life changed for me and my children. It took a while but we finally found a new life...it wasn't bad...it was just different. We found newness in our lives and learned a new "normal".

Maybe finding a way to pay tribute to your dad through your daily life. Maybe during the holidays take socks or slippers to men in nursing homes. Find a way to honor how he led his life.

I lost my mother many years ago...I still miss her...I always will. Her memory stays alive however through how she led her life...her kindness, compassion and her sense of humor. Cherish your fathers memories...pass them on to future family members...

• WDB1966
    WDB1966 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am going through similar thing with my father, just moved him to hospice today. I also lost a brother at an early age. I come from a large family and it is interesting how my siblings deal with loss of a loved vs. me. We all seem to process our grief differently and I think life experiences will alter your grief management over time as well. After my brother died, I really did not deal with it well. But as I got older, I became a little ashamed of how I behaved. I decided in the future I could go on with sadness and allow loss to overcome me or I could embrace the life I had and live enough for the both of us. I remember the good times and support my loved ones provided me, but I don't want to waste the life they helped me to build.
  • Lounmoun
    Options
    Just wanted to bump this up and say I'm thinking about you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've been where you are. I lost dad when I was 29 after an illness and mom when I was 29 suddenly. It's never easy, and we're never prepared. You have my support!
  • Kelly_2013
    Kelly_2013 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thank you all again for the support. I will be looking into grief counseling and starting my road to health starting today. Trying to also get through the holidays and his birthday. I can't believe we are coming up on it being a month since he passed, it feels like it was just last week.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Pause a moment here for a giant, silent internet hug...
    You tug my heartstrings because your loss sounds a lot like mine. I had a cute, fit 'teen mum' who raised me alone & she developed a fast moving pancreatic cancer that carried her away in five weeks and a day. So it's not just the loss, but the violence of the shock as well, compounded.
    I'm not going to lie. It was a long & complicated grief. I don't regret it in the least. We shared a huge love, and that took time & tears & heartache to work out. Just do the work. One day at a time. Feel all the feelings. They're like a set of waves. Ride the ones you can & bail under when you need to. They'll cycle back again and eventually you will find what you need deep inside yourself to ride them all...
    This is one of the bigger losses of this human life. And for all the pain I felt the only thing that makes me sadder is meeting someone who for various reasons won't or can't love a parent in that way. I would have chosen to have a mother longer, but if this was the only way to have my mother I would embrace this again and again and again.
    Peace to you. The holidays can feel brutal. xo
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    First of all, I am truly sorry to hear of your loss. Welcome to a club no one wants to be a member of :(

I lost my dad to RCC (kidney cancer) 5 years ago now, and I still think about him all the time. He was healthy, working full-time, a real social butterfly and then dead in three months. There was a huge simmering rift already within my family and he was the small bit of glue that kept us together. The family completely fractured after his death and I haven't spoken to most of them since.

That gnawing feeling in your stomach? It never goes away. But like a five pound weight strapped to your back, after a while it becomes such a part of you, you no longer remember what it felt like without it. I carry that weight with pride now; a small price to pay for having him as my dad :)

Definitely follow through with grief counselling, but don't be too hard on yourself right now. Sure, take some initiative to get healthy, enjoy life the way you know your father would want you too, but much like any advice you hear about making little changes and not just overhauling your whole life so you don't fall off the wagon that means evens more for you right now. Oh sure, it's not P90x or specifically for weight-loss/physical health but it's a huge lifestyle change nonetheless, so it counts, and you need to adapt to it first, take the other things you want to incorporate (or maintain them) in small doses, and increase only when you feel ready for another thing.
    I'd say at this point focus on not turning to food for comfort, and try to keep movement a part of your day. I really wouldn't put much more on yourself just yet. You're working with a heart that has a flimsy scab at this point, give yourself some time to build a scar. (((hugs)))
  • sobiakhatoon
    sobiakhatoon Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Really sorry for your loss. I can't advice much but can just tell you that keep praying for him and at the same time slowly start caring for your own self. Learn from examples. We have one life and one body. We need to take care of it. Hope your father is resting in heaven. Take care!