C25K Apps for iPhone - Which one should I use?

Options
I'm thinking about doing the C25K thing everyone's talking about. I searched the (iPhone) app store, and find there are many choices. The first 2 results from my search both claim to be the official app. I'm looking for some help in deciding which one of these, or a different one, to use.

The two I'm talking about are C25K by Zen Labs (free) and 5K by Active Network, for $2.99.

What's your advice? Thanks.

Replies

• BleuBerryS
    BleuBerryS Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I did the Nhs Choices C25K, You can get it on the podcast app.
    Its really good, she talks you through it.
    This is free as well.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I did the 5k Runner one. I'd read people's freak-outs over the massive jump in run time in the Zen Labs one (it's been a while but I think it is at week 6, you jump from 8 minute runs to 20 minutes straight? I'm sure someone will correct that if it's changed or I'm wrong). The 5k Runner one has a free trial version (which only takes you through Week 2 Day 2, then if you want to continue you do have to buy the full version for $2.99) but it is more gradual build up an there "big jump" was not nearly as intimidating.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    The first 2 results from my search both claim to be the official app. I'm looking for some help in deciding which one of these, or a different one, to use.

So the original C25K plan was published by Coolrunning. That's a plan, not an app. The plan has been embodied in a number of apps, and there are plans derived from it that vary it for different reasons.

Personally I also used the NHS Choices podcasts, rather than an app, and tracked my running using Runkeeper.

One of the most common concerns about the Coolrunning plan is that perceived big jump, which isn't from 8 minutes to 20 minutes, it's from 21 minutes with a one minute walk braks, to 20 minutes with no walk breaks. The Zen Labs implementation goes from 18 minutes, with a short minute walk break, to 20 minutes.

From a running perspective there is huge value in stepping up to the psychological challenge, as running is a heavily psychological game.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the NHS podcast as well.
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Back in the Stone Age before smartphones I just used the plan from coolrunning.com. I kept a printed-out version in my gym bag & checked off the individual runs as I did it. By the end the sheet was in tatters and covered with check marks and notes in all different colors of ink. Fun, but in a different way than using an app. :)
  • OyGeeBiv
    Options
    ekruska802 wrote: »
    Back in the Stone Age before smartphones I just used the plan from coolrunning.com. I kept a printed-out version in my gym bag & checked off the individual runs as I did it. By the end the sheet was in tatters and covered with check marks and notes in all different colors of ink. Fun, but in a different way than using an app. :)

I remember paper and pens! Thanks for the reminder. I'll probably keep a paper record of my progress, too.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I like the zen labs
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I did the Zen Labs one. Finished on Saturday.

I had to rack my brain to remember the jump from 8 to 20 minutes, which was only a few weeks ago.

It was fine.

If I remember correctly, it was two lots of 8 minutes running on one day, then 20 minutes the next workout.

The Zen Labs iPhone app lets you play your own music. It quietens the music when the instructions are given. That might be a selling feature for some people.
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you want something a little different Zombies Run! has a 5K training program. It's really motivating to hear the walking dead coming up behind you.
  • OyGeeBiv
    Options
    @Orphia thanks, for mentioning about the music. I downloaded the NHS Podcast, but I think their choice of music will be annoying for me. I might find a way to turn that to motivation though...finish the 9 weeks so I don't have to listen to that music anymore! HA!

And thanks for letting me know that the Zen Labs one quiets the music so you can hear the instructions, that was something I was planning to research today, so you saved me from having to do that.

@Dariasen oooOOOOooo Zombies. No thanks! I'm afraid of my own shadow, LOL. But thank you for the suggestion.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    @Orphia thanks, for mentioning about the music. I downloaded the NHS Podcast, but I think their choice of music will be annoying for me. I might find a way to turn that to motivation though...finish the 9 weeks so I don't have to listen to that music anymore! HA!

The thing to be aware of with music is the cadence and how that affects your run. The cadence on the NHS podcast is consistent and about 140-150bpm, which gives a decent cadence for the beginning runner. It's a little low but it's achievable for most people and gives a basis for improvement.

I made the mistake of listening to Northern Soul once... just the once...

If you want to listen to your own music, be very cautious of the effect on your cadence. If it's too high you'll struggle to maintain the cadence and finish the run without burning out, if it's too slow you increase your injury risk.

• OyGeeBiv
    Options

The thing to be aware of with music is the cadence and how that affects your run. The cadence on the NHS podcast is consistent and about 140-150bpm, which gives a decent cadence for the beginning runner. It's a little low but it's achievable for most people and gives a basis for improvement.

I made the mistake of listening to Northern Soul once... just the once...

If you want to listen to your own music, be very cautious of the effect on your cadence. If it's too high you'll struggle to maintain the cadence and finish the run without burning out, if it's too slow you increase your injury risk.

@MeanderingMammal Oooooh, VERY good points! Thank you. Re-thinking.....
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    BleuBerryS wrote: »
    I did the Nhs Choices C25K, You can get it on the podcast app.
    Its really good, she talks you through it.
    This is free as well.

This!

I started with the Zenlabs app, but switched phones, lost my progres... anyway, ended up just getting the NHS podcast and thought it was a hell of a lot better.

Cheesy music was better than none at all, made it much easier to stick to
  • nibletta
    nibletta Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just finished Week 6, Day 2 of the Zen Labs app. Last week was the jump from intervals to 20 minutes straight. It was a step, but I didn't find it unbearable. I think if you're pacing yourself and genuinely working on endurance opposed to speed straight off the bat you'll be fine with Zen.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Zen Labs
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I use Zenlabs and have been happy wih the app. I like being able to listen to my own music, I use RockmyRun app in the background for music and then the Zenlab app for the running instruction
  • OyGeeBiv
    Options
    I started the NHS podcast one today. The music wasn't as annoying as I anticipated. One down, 9 weeks (plus do-over's) to go! Look out!!!!! :smile:
  • JLWright73
    JLWright73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Dariasen wrote: »
    If you want something a little different Zombies Run! has a 5K training program. It's really motivating to hear the walking dead coming up behind you.

All I see on my Zombies Run app is a 10K training program. Where do you find the 5k one? I am enjoying the C25K app, but I think a zombie program would be so much fun!
  • WM916
    WM916 Posts: 19 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm so in the minority here. I love the app "Get Running." Maybe it's the British accent of the lady who cues and cheers me on? :) :-D
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Free NHS C25K podcast.