Food for anxiety

Options
hi ! I have been dealing with severe depression and anxiety attacks for ten years . I'm deciding to put the pills down and use food as my remedy . I've been doing my research but I'm still unaware of exactly how to do this . Does anyone else have any ideas or similar stories ?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Have you consulted with your doctor about your decision to quit taking your depression and anxiety medications? Not everything can be fixed through food -- this is a decision that should be taken in consultation with your treatment team or doctor.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    bearnbu89 wrote: »
    hi ! I have been dealing with severe depression and anxiety attacks for ten years . I'm deciding to put the pills down and use food as my remedy . I've been doing my research but I'm still unaware of exactly how to do this . Does anyone else have any ideas or similar stories ?

Depressed guy here: The only thing that fixes my depression is working out.

Food is a minor part of it -- keeping my blood sugar relatively stable (low-carb/high protein and fat - like what gets prescribed to diabetics) keeps my mood in check. But it's really the regular strenuous activity that keep me from getting depressed.

Good luck!
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with severe depression and anxiety attacks for ten years .

This probably isn't entirely related to diet and probably can't be fixed entirely with diet. I recommend consulting your general practitioner for starters if you haven't already done so and your therapist if you have one.

Other than that, being careful about your refined carb intake can help you maintain a more even energy level which can help with mood swings. If you don't regularly exercise, by all means give it a try and see if it helps. It doesn't help me at all with my depression, in fact some days it makes it worse. But some people seem to have good luck with it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Food cannot solve everything. In fact it can make things worse sometimes. I suffer from a mild form of anxiety and have recovered from depression (with medications) a few years ago. I find exercise helps both my anxiety and any returning depression, that consuming high carb comfort foods such as bananas, oatmeal, potatoes..etc keeps me stable. I tried low carb and it increased my anxiety and brought back the depression.

My advice for you is to consult with your doctor. Don't stop taking your medications without his/her consent. Tell them you wish to try managing your condition, under their supervision, without medications. Have their number around at all times in case you have a relapse. A few things to consider:
    - Extreme changes can adversely affect anxiety
    - A low calorie diet triggers the release of cortisol and contributes to anxiety
    - Things like intermittent fasting can trigger anxiety
    - Any diets that present an extreme change or extremely limits your choices can trigger anxiety

In short, consult with your doctor, and if you decide to experiment with food under their supervision, have the smallest deficit possible (half a pound a week), and add whole foods to your diet to get the best nutrition possible full of vitamins, minerals and essential fats, but don't deny yourself the things you love.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    talk to a doctor about this. food can help but it might not cure/fix the issue.
    I have lovely teas that help with stress but I still need additional help to treat my issues.
    do not just stop taking the pills. it can be a shock to your body and side effects can occur
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options

I regularly taper off Wellbutrin in the spring with no ill effects, but that's my reaction to that particular drug and may not be true for you.

If you are a long time regular user of benzos, you'll want to consult with your doctor for sure about the best way to taper off. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal_syndrome

That said, this article has foods for anxiety and their associated studies: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/23/best-foods-for-anxiety_n_4810919.html

Regular yoga and cardio has been more helpful for me in reducing anxiety and depression, and also prompts me to make better food choices.

Are you getting enough B vitamins and essential fatty acids?
  • ecr152
    ecr152 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to be careful!!! When i suffered from depression I turned to food and binged... Causing me to become overweight and depression got worst because of my self image...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Modern medicine is a miracle really, for many mental health issues. My maternal grandmother died young in a mental institution from a mental illness that is readily treated by medication today. Have you considered staying with your medication while trying these other methods?

Other than food, have you thought of looking at sleep patterns and meditation; specifically mindful meditation? A particular meditation technique has been proven to be effective in reducing anxiety.

Sleep disturbances: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301051101000904

An article about mindfulness:
    http://discovermagazine.com/2013/nov/14-defense-free-will

When I negotiated with my medical team about reducing/eliminating medications, I did it with data. I diarized what I was doing and measured the results. With the weight of evidence, I was eventually eliminated off all medications (diabetes, cholesterol, high blood pressure). If the symptoms ever come back, I'll go back on the medications.

If you are in to this sort of thing, you might try this app for tracking mood.
    http://www.inexika.com/imood
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the foods that comfort are typically carb-y, or chocolate. Not that great if you want to maintain your weight.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Stick to the medications. Dropping them off can give you zaps and other terrible side effects. I have not been treated for anxiety or depression but find it has lessened with Vitamin D and Fish Oil. If you are curious as how food may help get a blood panel of deficiencies and discuss with your doctor what you can do to lessen your meds.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I went organic and my bipolar symptoms diapered after a couple of months. I ended up eating less and having more energy. My mind quieted enough that I made huge leaps in my Cognitive Therapy. It's not for everyone, but it worked for me. I just couldn't afford the pills that worked. It was more than my rent, and I was having help with that too. I've never been happier and less anxious in my whole life now. I'm in a much better place. Take that as you may... Treating the whole person is very important (Physiologically, psychologically, nutritionally, emotionally). I think good food helps, but that's not going to fix everything. But cutting out processed food and eating non-gmo and organic was the biggest chunk in moving forward and not just living with "band-aids". I was able to evolve into who I wanted to be and not just suffer as I was. I didn't even realize how unhappy I was until I was happy/content. It's been a couple of years and I do slip up here and there. When I do I notice it immediately. It takes about a week to straighten out and then I'm good to go again. It's another lifestyle change I'm so glad I made. Anyway...that's my two cents...
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Supplement with Vitamin D, B-Complex, and Magnesium.

Eat plant foods.

Exercise

Fresh air

Remove anxiety triggers. Nothing will cure you until you address the root of your depression. The above mentioned can only help your symptoms.

For me, working out made my anxiety worse. I went to the gym 6-7 days a week and it turned into OCD. Plus exercise depletes magnesium. I know a lot of people with anxiety/depression will bankroll it into excessive exercise and that is not healthy IMO. Just a warning... take it easy with the exercise. My favorite thing to do was take long walks at the park or nature trail.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Certain exercises will work better than others.
    Maybe yoga and walking.
    Eat lots more fruits and veggies: broccoli, cauliflower, kale, spinach, swiss chard, zucchini, squash, sweet potatoes, avocados, cucumbers, bell peppers, asparagus, green peas, mushrooms. Also fruits, beans.