meeting caloric goals

Options
I've noticed the past few days I've been having issues meeting my caloric goal. As in, I'm just not hungry enough to eat so much. I'm eating three larger meals a day and snaking at least once between meals, but I'm not eating enough I guess. My trainer ask to check my diary out last night and then recommended I have a raw fruit or veggie with my protein shake, I had 578 calories left with a goal of 1350 daily at 1030pm last night. I was miserable and could barely eat half my apple and only drank about half my shake, if that.

I'm only doing a mile of moderate walking and six minutes on the elliptical a day as far as cardio goes, usually only hits about 200 calories and working my way through a beginners intense strength training( I don't worry about caloric burn when I'm strength training).

So is this normal? Before I started I could eat so much in one sitting, I'm talking double servings of everything. Now, I'm lucky if I can force myself to eat more than a container of yogurt. I dont want to under eat, but I dont want to get back into bigger portions again, because I'm seeing results in my weight drop.

Replies

• BoogiesMom10
    BoogiesMom10 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I should also add that I can work anywhere between 8 to 12 hours a work and I a constantly on the move. Some folks tell me this matters and some say it doesn't. So for information sake I added it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Try lower volume calorie dense foods. Things like olive oil, avocado, peanut butter, and nuts have more calories for smaller servings.
  • BoogiesMom10
    Options
    Tree Nuts, avacado, and coconut are out of the question because I'm allergic, and I dont eat tons of meat. So its hard for me to find things.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
    how many lbs a week have you been losing so far?
    How many pounds do you have to lose before you be at your "goal" weight?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Tree Nuts, avacado, and coconut are out of the question because I'm allergic, and I dont eat tons of meat. So its hard for me to find things.

There are obviously things on this list you can't eat due to your allergies, but there are likely calorie dense foods you will be able to eat:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    And just looking at your diary from yesterday, if you're having problems hitting your calorie goals, stop eating "diet foods". Eat normal bacon instead of turkey bacon; eat beef hotdogs instead of turkey, etc.
  • BoogiesMom10
    Options
    ryry62685 wrote: »
    How tall are you?
    I am 5'8 and I'm at about 4 to 5 pounds a week, with a total goal of 60 pounds.
    auddii wrote: »
    And just looking at your diary from yesterday, if you're having problems hitting your calorie goals, stop eating "diet foods". Eat normal bacon instead of turkey bacon; eat beef hotdogs instead of turkey, etc.

I don't personally care for red meat. Turkey and chicken are the only meat I eat at all and I can barely stand that, a preference not just a diet preference. I'm a picky eater, I know that is a huge hurdle with weight loss, but what I eat is really no different from before its just how much I'm eating of it. With the exception of junk, I dont eat junk anymore.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Well... I add cheese to meals. 100_ calories a serving give or take plus its healthy and has protein. Also butter for cooking.
  • BoogiesMom10
    Options
    Well... I add cheese to meals. 100_ calories a serving give or take plus its healthy and has protein. Also butter for cooking.
    Great idea! Thanks!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You'll have to modify this list to remove anything you don't like or can't eat, but here are my basic suggestions:

avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    olives
    honey
    molasses
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Some days I have resorted to eating peanut butter from the jar just to hit my calorie goals. A peanut butter sandwich is about 500 calories if you do it right. You just need to find something calorie-dense that will not feel like you're eating a ton of food in order to get it down.

That said, 4-5 lbs a week over time is extremely unhealthy. With 60 to lose, you can probably drop that amount for a week or two just due to water weight, but after that you should be aiming for about 2 lbs per week.

On another note, the feeling of not being hungry is *NOT* because your body doesn't need the calories. It's due to the hormones that regulate your hunger, leptin and grehlin. Leptin decreases appetite, ghrelin increases appetite. They are produced in direct proportion to how much you consume. So if you start eating less, you will feel less hungry. Eat more, feel more hungry.

This is how anorexics can eat 500 calories a day and say they don't feel hungry -- it's not a lie, their hormones adjust to the amount they are eating and they legitimately feel that eating more than that is uncomfortable.

The lesson here is that you shouldn't listen to your body as far as how much is the right amount to eat. Find your TDEE, eat 20% less than that for ideal fat loss, and after a few days of "forcing" yourself to eat the right amount, your hormones will adjust accordingly.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    ryry62685 wrote: »
    How tall are you?
    I am 5'8 and I'm at about 4 to 5 pounds a week, with a total goal of 60 pounds.
    auddii wrote: »

I don't personally care for red meat. Turkey and chicken are the only meat I eat at all and I can barely stand that, a preference not just a diet preference. I'm a picky eater, I know that is a huge hurdle with weight loss, but what I eat is really no different from before its just how much I'm eating of it. With the exception of junk, I dont eat junk anymore.

How many weeks have you been losing at that rate? Most people typically can lose large amounts the first couple weeks but then settle down into a more reasonable rate (1-2).
  • Confuzzled4ever
    edited December 2015
    Options

On another note, the feeling of not being hungry is *NOT* because your body doesn't need the calories. It's due to the hormones that regulate your hunger, leptin and grehlin. Leptin decreases appetite, ghrelin increases appetite. They are produced in direct proportion to how much you consume. So if you start eating less, you will feel less hungry. Eat more, feel more hungry.

This is how anorexics can eat 500 calories a day and say they don't feel hungry -- it's not a lie, their hormones adjust to the amount they are eating and they legitimately feel that eating more than that is uncomfortable.

The lesson here is that you shouldn't listen to your body as far as how much is the right amount to eat. Find your TDEE, eat 20% less than that for ideal fat loss, and after a few days of "forcing" yourself to eat the right amount, your hormones will adjust accordingly.

Is this true? Because I'm never hungry. And when I eat healthy it's hard for me to eat even 1200 calories. (This is not the case when I eat less healthy, like lots of chips and restaurant food and drinks)
  • fivethreeone
    Options

Is this true? Because I'm never hungry. And when I eat healthy it's hard for me to eat even 1200 calories. (This is not the case when I eat less healthy, like lots of chips and restaurant food and drinks)

Yep.

When people go on a diet or consciously try to eat more healthy, there's also a psychological factor at work, too.

Try eating TDEE-20% for a week and I bet you'll be surprised at how your appetite adjusts itself.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    I ate 2000 plus calories all week Thanksgiving week at my friends Came home, and went right back to 1200.. Wasn't hungry a bit from day 1. I've been forcing 1500 calories for the last 2 days and all I feel is uncomfortably full. Because I know I should be eating around 1500-1600 a day.
  • fivethreeone
    Options
    I ate 2000 plus calories all week Thanksgiving week at my friends Came home, and went right back to 1200.. Wasn't hungry a bit from day 1. I've been forcing 1500 calories for the last 2 days and all I feel is uncomfortably full. Because I know I should be eating around 1500-1600 a day.

What I'm hearing is you haven't been consistent at a calorie allotment over a period of time. I'd give it a little while at 1500-1600, but during the transition period, if you are uncomfortable, you can definitely reduce the volume of foods you are eating. You could eat 1500 calories in vegetables and the volume would be enough to make you puke, or you could eat 3 PB&Js over the course of a whole day. You know?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    Thanks
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the past few days I've been having issues meeting my caloric goal. As in, I'm just not hungry enough to eat so much. I'm eating three larger meals a day and snaking at least once between meals, but I'm not eating enough I guess. My trainer ask to check my diary out last night and then recommended I have a raw fruit or veggie with my protein shake, I had 578 calories left with a goal of 1350 daily at 1030pm last night. I was miserable and could barely eat half my apple and only drank about half my shake, if that.

I'm only doing a mile of moderate walking and six minutes on the elliptical a day as far as cardio goes, usually only hits about 200 calories and working my way through a beginners intense strength training( I don't worry about caloric burn when I'm strength training).

So is this normal? Before I started I could eat so much in one sitting, I'm talking double servings of everything. Now, I'm lucky if I can force myself to eat more than a container of yogurt. I dont want to under eat, but I dont want to get back into bigger portions again, because I'm seeing results in my weight drop.

You said that you ate three "larger" meals and a snack, for a total 772 calories yesterday? Do you use a food scale?

Are you really having physical discomfort finishing things like a container of yogurt or an apple? If that's really the case, you should see a doctor.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

You said that you ate three "larger" meals and a snack, for a total 772 calories yesterday? Do you use a food scale?

Are you really having physical discomfort finishing things like a container of yogurt or an apple? If that's really the case, you should see a doctor.

I actually had a weird stomach infection recently and as a result I had zero appetite for a couple of days (very unusual for me). My appetite came back once I started treatment. A doctor visit couldn't hurt.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Pre log three healthy meals, then eat them. Eliminate snacks first if you're not hungry. Emotional or shame driven eaters often talk this way when they are being 'good' & super virtuous... Then the snap back hits & they go off the rails. Remove yourself from your eating. You are just feuling your body here to do its work. If your car's gas tank was on empty you would just fill up the tank, bam! Your body needs nutrient filled calories to burn and build with.