Need help with macros!

Options
Ok so ive lost 20 pounds and trying to lose 20 more to = a weight of 140 than i will start a 8 month bulk but Lets talk about rn i want to know what my macros percent should be while im dieting i was thinking Protien 75% Fats 15 % Carbs 10%

Replies

• diyadiamonds
    diyadiamonds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Wow, there's no need for your protein to be that high. Calculate your TDEE and start of by eating a 500 calorie deficit (assuming you are already on lower calories this shouldn't be too hard). To calculate your macros 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight is ideal, 0.5g of fat per pound of body weight and then fill the rest up with carbs. Once you hit a plateau instead of lowering your carbs try to add an extra session of cardio, if your weight remains the same then reduce your calories further.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am cutting and I eat 150G protein, 120G carb and 27G fat per day. 1323 Calories. Roughly half of my intake is protein. This is how my nutritionist told me to calculate macros for cutting while maintaining muscle =

.25 times per pound of body weight = Fat grams
    1 times per pound of body weight = carb grams
    1.2 times per pound of body weight = protein grams.

For example = 200 lb man (to cut) is 200 grams carbs, 50 grams fat, 240 grams protein. Hope this helps.
  • itsflaccoi
    itsflaccoi Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am cutting and I eat 150G protein, 120G carb and 27G fat per day. 1323 Calories. Roughly half of my intake is protein. This is how my nutritionist told me to calculate macros for cutting while maintaining muscle =

For example = 200 lb man (to cut) is 200 grams carbs, 50 grams fat, 240 grams protein. Hope this helps.

Yeah but im trying the ketois diet i belive its called because from what ive heard from experts is you should eat very low carbs to shred fat and high protein
  • itsflaccoi
    Options
    Wow, there's no need for your protein to be that high. Calculate your TDEE and start of by eating a 500 calorie deficit (assuming you are already on lower calories this shouldn't be too hard). To calculate your macros 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight is ideal, 0.5g of fat per pound of body weight and then fill the rest up with carbs. Once you hit a plateau instead of lowering your carbs try to add an extra session of cardio, if your weight remains the same then reduce your calories further.
    Ive been lead to learn and its has showed with the 20 pounds i lost that the higher your protein and lower your carbs and fats are the better it help maintain your muscle mass and shred fat
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    itsflaccoi wrote: »
    Ok so ive lost 20 pounds and trying to lose 20 more to = a weight of 140 than i will start a 8 month bulk but Lets talk about rn i want to know what my macros percent should be while im dieting i was thinking Protien 75% Fats 15 % Carbs 10%

There's no reason to consume that much protein generally speaking.

Instead of looking at it in terms of percentage, it's generally advised to look at a gram goal.

Protein - aim to eat somewhere around 0.7-0.8 grams of protein per pound of weight per day
    Fat - aim to eat about 0.3-0.35 grams per pound of body weight per day.

Based on your OP - it sounds like you currently weigh 160

So that would mean about 128 grams of protein per day 56 grams of fat

That works out to 128x4 = 512 calories per day from protein and 56x9 = 504 calories from fat. I don't know what your overall daily calorie goal is, but I'm going to guess somewhere around 2000 (may be off a hundred or two)

So that would put your goals roughly at 25% protein, 25% fat, 50% carb.

Finally, the protein and fat goals are generally regarded as minimums, so if you find it more appropriate for you, you could sub out some of the carbs for additional protein or fat.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Yeah but im trying the ketois diet i belive its called because from what ive heard from experts is you should eat very low carbs to shred fat and high protein

A Ketosis type diet would be low carb, hi fat, not hi protein.
  • itsflaccoi
    Options

Instead of looking at it in terms of percentage, it's generally advised to look at a gram goal.

Protein - aim to eat somewhere around 0.7-0.8 grams of protein per pound of weight per day

That works out to 128x4 = 512 calories per day from protein and 56x9 = 504 calories from fat. I don't know what your overall daily calorie goal is, but I'm going to guess somewhere around 2000 (may be off a hundred or two)

Finally, the protein and fat goals are generally regarded as minimums, so if you find it more appropriate for you, you could sub out some of the carbs for additional protein or fat.

Well since im cutting with a relatively low musle mass (Skinny fat) im trying to eat very low carbs so i have to replace those carbs with something and I definitely dont want to replace it with fat so only option is protein
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Well since im cutting with a relatively low musle mass (Skinny fat) im trying to eat very low carbs so i have to replace those carbs with something and I definitely dont want to replace it with fat so only option is protein

Why don't you want to replace it with fat?
  • juggernaut1974
    edited December 2015
    Options

Why? Dietary fat is not what makes you fat...

There are several regular posters who follow a ketosis type diet who can probably help you with the specifics...but as I recall several of them have upwards of 75-80% of their calories coming from fat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

You don't need to go low carb to lose fat. Many, many people here have lost fat very successfully without going low carb. However, if you want to try keto (the type of low carb you are referring to), you'd have high fat and moderate protein. You have it set up as low fat and super high protein. In keto you use fat (in place of carbs) as fuel for the body, so you can't do low fat. More common keto macros are 20% protein, 75% fat, 5% carbs.

Search for the Low Carbers forum in groups for advice on that.

Personally, I lost a bunch of weight doing 40% carbs, 30% each fat and protein.

The studies don't show any benefit from protein beyond .85 g/lb of a healthy goal weight, although if you enjoy eating more it doesn't hurt (for healthy people in the context of an overall sensible diet).
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Personally, I lost a bunch of weight doing 40% carbs, 30% each fat and protein.

That's pretty close what my cutting macros are too...I'm usually about 44-45% carb, 27-28% protein, 27-28% fat
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Ive been lead to learn and its has showed with the 20 pounds i lost that the higher your protein and lower your carbs and fats are the better it help maintain your muscle mass and shred fat
    You are on the right track with a few adjustments ....
    The reason you are eating low carbs is to train your body to create and use ketones as your primary energy source so yes, a low threshold of carb intake is good and make those carbs count for something (i.e. complex carbs as you would find in green leafy vegetables.) Stay away from potato, rice, flour ..... well you know the drill.

Protein - the biggest reason for upping your protein intake is to provide the fuel your body needs to create it's own glycogen and meet those requirements. The goal here is to prevent your body from robbing the existing muscle mass as a protein source, especially as you have worked hard to create it in the first place.

Fats - Believe it or not, the fats you eat can help you burn even more body fat. An example would be eating an avocado before a workout (very similar to those who eat carbs before a workout.) Your body starts processing the fat turning it into ketones for energy. Once that source of ketone making fuel is exhausted your body starts to look for other similar sources ...... like body fat. So eating a high fat pre-workout can actually result in more fat loss.

I track my body fat as religiously as some track their weight. Each day it's weigh in and measure body fat. I've been charting this and as I have had a steady decrease in Body Fat, my lean mass has remained very stable with a modest increase. At the same time, I am adding higher resistance to my weight routine so I know that I'm moving in the right direction.

Currently I my goals are set at 20% Carbs, 40% Protein, 40% Fat.
    I don't get too hung up on the carb percentage, I just try and keep it as low as possible. I'm averaging 40-60 grams per day.

As I said initially, it sounds like you have your act together. The next 20 should be easy.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Get 0.64-0.82g/lb of protein. You don't need more than 0.82g/lb of protein unless you are doing drugs. If you have a history of kidney stones, then you definitely don't want to go higher with protein (the more excess protein you take in the more calcium your kidneys have to process). If you want to eat 1.2g/lb do it because you prefer the food, not because you think you have to, because your body is just going to convert all that extra protein instead of using it for muscles. Get at least 0.35g/lb of fat. For everything else, eat whatever you want.

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

NOTE: The protein supplement people would love everyone to think they need 1-2g/lb of protein because the only easy way to get that much in is to take supplements every day even when maintaining or bulking. The reality is that unless you are cutting it is pretty easy to get more than sufficient protein. Much like the myth of "toning" your body by lifting 5lb weights, needing more protein is also a myth.
  • pliler
    pliler Posts: 45 Member
    Options

NOTE: The protein supplement people would love everyone to think they need 1-2g/lb of protein because the only easy way to get that much in is to take supplements every day even when maintaining or bulking. The reality is that unless you are cutting it is pretty easy to get more than sufficient protein. Much like the myth of "toning" your body by lifting 5lb weights, needing more protein is also a myth.
    Good stuff there!