Will 12 pounds of fat at my stat make a big difference? (with attachment)

Options
I'm currently 172lb, 5"8. The last time I checked my body fat on my belly with the Accu-measure clipper was at 21% body fat. My target is to hit 160 pounds by the 2nd week of Jan, and I'm just worried if that belly fat doesn't go away as much as I want..3shou87dm45a.jpg

Replies

• stazed657
    stazed657 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    12lb in 4 weeks is a very optimistic target I hate to say! Why does it have to be so quick?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    stazed657 wrote: »
    12lb in 4 weeks is a very optimistic target I hate to say! Why does it have to be so quick?

Agreed...especially since you're not terribly overweight to begin with.

You're setting yourself up for failure with those expectations. Even if you somehow manage to lose that much scale weight, you're going to be terribly disappointed with the body composition results.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So if it doesn't what are you gonna do?

Keep on going right?

Because your time target is stupid sauce

This is a journey

You have 5 weeks to lose 12 lbs ...not going to happen

And will that 12lbs come off your stomach ...nope

So what you gonna do?

You're gonna keep going

With calorie counting
    With progressive resistance

Right?

Right?
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    PS I would very much doubt that BF reading
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Why do you say that rabbit? Just curious. I agree it's probably a little low, but not significantly so. Probably closer to 25 than 20 based on the pic.
  • qkrzazzang
    qkrzazzang Posts: 67 Member
    Options

It's actually 5 weeks, about.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Why do you say that rabbit? Just curious. I agree it's probably a little low, but not significantly so. Probably closer to 25 than 20 based on the pic.

A caliper in the hands of someone inexperienced coupled with photo ...I'm just a little doubtful that's all

Not that it matters ...it's all about the journey
  • qkrzazzang
    Options

A caliper in the hands of someone inexperienced coupled with photo ...I'm just a little doubtful that's all

Not that it matters ...it's all about the journey

how much % would you say it is then? I guess I did miscalculate since that's what seems to be the case..
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    maybe upper 20s or low 30s % BF. Its hard to say as genetics dictates where you store it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    1 twelve pounds will be a very big difference
    2 trying to do so in the time frame you set is not going to happen
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I can't answer that sorry ...I probably shouldn't have commented anyway because I honestly don't think that the number matters...the progression does as does keeping on going
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's quite likely your belly fat won't go away as much as you like in 5 weeks, and that you won't lose 12 lb of fat. (I know how you feel -- I'd like to ditch 7 lb of fat before a race I'm doing on December 27 -- that's not happening either.)

However, why worry about it? What you can do in 5 weeks is make substantial steps toward losing that fat and have less of it than you do now, the precise number doesn't really matter so long as you are making consistent progress.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    I can't answer that sorry ...I probably shouldn't have commented anyway because I honestly don't think that the number matters...the progression does as does keeping on going

I agree...the specific number is immaterial...I was only curious :)
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    qkrzazzang wrote: »

Still ridiculously unrealistic. 5 lbs in that timeframe would be a more appropriate goal.
  • qkrzazzang
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It's quite likely your belly fat won't go away as much as you like in 5 weeks, and that you won't lose 12 lb of fat. (I know how you feel -- I'd like to ditch 7 lb of fat before a race I'm doing on December 27 -- that's not happening either.)

However, why worry about it? What you can do in 5 weeks is make substantial steps toward losing that fat and have less of it than you do now, the precise number doesn't really matter so long as you are making consistent progress.

I just like to have target goals for certain duration of time. That's at least my way of getting myself motivated. Not saying I will stop doing it after then, it's just that I will make another goal after.
  • qkrzazzang
    Options

Still ridiculously unrealistic. 5 lbs in that timeframe would be a more appropriate goal.

I've been consistently losing about 2 pounds a week. My BMR is about 1850s. I eat about 1500kal and exercise a lot.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

I've been consistently losing about 2 pounds a week. My BMR is about 1850s. I eat about 1500kal and exercise a lot.

Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

1500 cal gross or net?? (meaning do you also eat back exercise calories?)

What type of exercise are you doing?
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    qkrzazzang, here is something to think about and hopefully will motivate you to keep at it. You gut is big because you probably have a lot of Visceral fat. This is fat that is in your abdominal cavity around your organs. As you lose fat you lose the fat just befind the skin but also inside your abdominal cavity as well and as a result your gut will start shrinking and your abdominal area will shrink as a whole and your stomach will start to flatten out even if your abs dont show. Dont focus on the time frame but results you want.
  • qkrzazzang
    Options

1500 cal gross or net?? (meaning do you also eat back exercise calories?)

What type of exercise are you doing?

Not sure of the difference in two, but I'm guessing net is more of what I mean. 1500cal comes directly from food. Exercise wise, I jog-run for 60 minutes everyday with no rest days and additional weight training& back squats on Tues,Thurs and Sat.