Will 12 pounds of fat at my stat make a big difference? (with attachment)

Options

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    qkrzazzang wrote: »
    stazed657 wrote: »
    12lb in 4 weeks is a very optimistic target I hate to say! Why does it have to be so quick?

It's actually 5 weeks, about.

Still ridiculously unrealistic. 5 lbs in that timeframe would be a more appropriate goal.

I've been consistently losing about 2 pounds a week. My BMR is about 1850s. I eat about 1500kal and exercise a lot.

1500 cal gross or net?? (meaning do you also eat back exercise calories?)

What type of exercise are you doing?

Not sure of the difference in two, but I'm guessing net is more of what I mean. 1500cal comes directly from food. Exercise wise, I jog-run for 60 minutes everyday with no rest days and additional weight training& back squats on Tues,Thurs and Sat.

So you're eating 1500 calories total each day? How certain are you of that number (as in, do you weigh/measure all portions and ingredients?)
  • qkrzazzang
    qkrzazzang Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    12lb in 4 weeks is a very optimistic target I hate to say! Why does it have to be so quick?

Still ridiculously unrealistic. 5 lbs in that timeframe would be a more appropriate goal.

I've been consistently losing about 2 pounds a week. My BMR is about 1850s. I eat about 1500kal and exercise a lot.

Are you eating back your exercise calories?

Well, If I'm not counting BMR as a part of the calculation, then the amount of calorie burned is significantly less than food calorie. I burn at least 600 calories from exercising. When I do back squats on Tues,Thurs and Sat, I imagine more.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Well, If I'm not counting BMR as a part of the calculation, then the amount of calorie burned is significantly less than food calorie. I burn at least 600 calories from exercising. When I do back squats on Tues,Thurs and Sat, I imagine more.

How are you determining your 600 calorie exercise burn?
  • qkrzazzang
    Options

Not sure of the difference in two, but I'm guessing net is more of what I mean. 1500cal comes directly from food. Exercise wise, I jog-run for 60 minutes everyday with no rest days and additional weight training& back squats on Tues,Thurs and Sat.

So you're eating 1500 calories total each day? How certain are you of that number (as in, do you weigh/measure all portions and ingredients?)

Absolutely. All ingredients are weighed, I follow the nutrition label very strictly as well. I cut out a lot of sodium, and almost carb-free (except my lifting days).
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    unfortunately... there is no way to spot reduce the belly...BUT... I've found that good posture and holding your stomach in (a tip my grandma gave me at 8 years old)... significantly reduces the appearance of the paunch and strengthens the core.

After almost 30 years of this practice... my stomach stays relatively flat even with weight gain
  • qkrzazzang
    Options

How are you determining your 600 calorie exercise burn?

I use both heartrate monitor and the treadmill itself. It's a really high-tech one which I have to input all of my essential body stats, so I assume it's pretty accurate.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    On the upside, you might find that 5 or 6 pounds from your current (not very heavy) weight appears to be alot more than it sounds like, when you get there. Plug away consistently, and I'm sure you'll be pleased with yourself in no time!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I mean are you eating 1500 PLUS the 600 you burn from exercise? Because if not that puts you at only 900 net calories. That's not even enough for an average woman, let alone a man. Though your net may not be as low as 900 since you're calculating 600 exercise calories with the treadmill and they're notoriously bad at calculating/deliberately misleading. Either way, you need to start eating back at least some exercise calories.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

Absolutely. All ingredients are weighed, I follow the nutrition label very strictly as well. I cut out a lot of sodium, and almost carb-free (except my lifting days).

OK...so here's my overall advice based on the info you've provided...

I think your current approach and plan is going to leave you terribly disappointed in your results. I would immediately forget that approach and start anew.

You're a young (21) year old male with a few pounds to lose. I don't know how active you are outside of your exercise, but even assuming you're sedentary you need to be eating a lot more than 1500 calories per day.

I agree, your BMR is probably around 1850 or so, but that is irrelevant. The number you need is your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). I'm going to estimate that's around 2800-2900 or so.

You should have a goal to lose about 1 lb per week, which is a 500 calorie reduction off your TDEE. Your goal calorie should therefore be around 2300.

How you get to that 2300 number isn't terribly important - just be sure you're getting sufficient dietary fat and protein.

Your goal is to lose fat more than just overall scale weight. I'd incorporate a good, full body weightlifting program. There are several good ones available. You want to encourage fat loss, not just overall mass loss. Your overly aggressive plan right now may look like it's working good on the scale, but it's coming at the expense of body composition. You're losing significant amounts of lean muscle mass, which is probably contributing to the visually 'larger' belly (in comparison to your overall body).

• stazed657
    stazed657 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

It's actually 5 weeks, about.[/quote]

Actually it's 26 days til Jan 2nd so less than 4 weeks. May want to check your maths! Explains totally unrealistic goals!

• qkrzazzang
    Options

Actually it's 26 days til Jan 2nd so less than 4 weeks. May want to check your maths! Explains totally unrealistic goals!

[/quote]

I said 2nd week of Jan.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think @juggernaut1974 gave you sound advice

What's your reaction to,what he said?
  • qkrzazzang
    Options

I think your current approach and plan is going to leave you terribly disappointed in your results. I would immediately forget that approach and start anew.

You're a young (21) year old male with a few pounds to lose. I don't know how active you are outside of your exercise, but even assuming you're sedentary you need to be eating a lot more than 1500 calories per day.

I agree, your BMR is probably around 1850 or so, but that is irrelevant. The number you need is your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). I'm going to estimate that's around 2800-2900 or so.

You should have a goal to lose about 1 lb per week, which is a 500 calorie reduction off your TDEE. Your goal calorie should therefore be around 2300.

How you get to that 2300 number isn't terribly important - just be sure you're getting sufficient dietary fat and protein.

Your goal is to lose fat more than just overall scale weight. I'd incorporate a good, full body weightlifting program. There are several good ones available. You want to encourage fat loss, not just overall mass loss. Your overly aggressive plan right now may look like it's working good on the scale, but it's coming at the expense of body composition. You're losing significant amounts of lean muscle mass, which is probably contributing to the visually 'larger' belly (in comparison to your overall body).

Thanks for the great advice. I just checked the TDEE and got 3035. Maybe I'll this and start eating at about 2300-2500? I've always thought the calorie intake was excluding the exercise calories so I guess that's where the mistake hit in...
  • qkrzazzang
    Options

Thanks for the great advice. I just checked the TDEE and got 3035. Maybe I'll this and start eating at about 2300-2500? I've always thought the calorie intake of 1500 was excluding the exercise calories so I guess that's where the mistake hit in...

• qkrzazzang
    Options

Thanks for the great advice. I just checked the TDEE and got 3035. Maybe I'll this and start eating at about 2300-2500? I've always thought the calorie intake of 1500 was excluding the exercise calories so I guess that's where the mistake hit in...

• qkrzazzang
    Options
    Aah, hate quote errors like this.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Good on you

Despite the quoting :)

What's your level of experience with lifting? What programme are you following
  • qkrzazzang
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Good on you

Despite the quoting :)

What's your level of experience with lifting? What programme are you following

I've been doing it for 2 months now. I just curretly started a intermediate 4-week programme from body********.com. Started my tricep/bicep lifting with 20 pounds. Now at 30.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

I think this is all sound advice. Word of warning since you are concerned with the scale results. I fully expect that when you increase your calorie intake to something more inline with your TDEE (like 2300-2700 ish) you will likely gain weight in the short term. It doesn't mean you are gaining fat, its just that with a higher intake you will typically ride at a higher weight. I would give your body a few weeks to readjust to the higher intake and then monitor the trend from that point forward.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Regardless of 5 weeks vs 4 weeks or whatever, 2lb/week is too fast for someone under 200lb. Keep weight loss to under 1% of your body weight per week, unless you don't care about maintaining muscle mass. Since you said you want to lose 12lb of fat I would think maintaining lean mass would be important. Keep weight loss under 1.65lb/week (we'll sort of average it over the 5 weeks), or at most 8.25lb in 5 weeks.

Even then, if you are going to go for the full 1% per week, you need to eat sufficient protein every day (0.64-0.82g/lb) and do serious resistance training if you don't want to lose muscle mass. Even at a slower goal you should try to get in the protein and resistance training as you'll get better results. The 1lb/week goal is a good goal, if you want to be aggressive go for 1.5lb/week at most.

As for calories, MFP by default uses NEAT, which does not include exercise calories (you are supposed to log those and eat them back). The posters above were talking about TDEE. TDEE = NEAT + Exercise Calories. Use whichever model you find more convenient. I personally prefer NEAT, as I can maintain my weight loss even if I have to take a week off from exercising.