Cheap and Easy Meal Ideas Anyone?

Options
pichu318
pichu318 Posts: 172 Member
So....I'm extremely lazy, but I like home cooked meals. I want to know what everyone else makes when they feel lazy!

I usually make an easy chili in the crock pot

1lb ground meat
3 cans of whatever kinds of beans I want X3
1 can of tomato sauce
hot sauce to taste
whatever spices are in my cupboard (lol)

I usually throw this in the crock pot on low, go to school/work, and come home to a delicious dinner X3. I don't usually time how long it takes, but I don't cook the meat before, so long enough for that to be cooked. I have in the past added Thai tomato soup and/or water chestnuts as well. Really the above recipe is the base of it :P

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I love stuffed peppers....but they are too much work

Stuffed Pepper Soup

1/2 pound ground round
    2 cups chopped green bell pepper
    1 cup chopped onion 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 (14-ounce) can less-sodium beef broth
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 (10 3/4-ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
    1 1/2 cups hot cooked white rice

Heat a small Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add chopped green bell pepper and onion; cook 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in black pepper, less-sodium beef broth, diced tomatoes, and tomato soup; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
    Spoon 1/4 cup hot cooked white rice into each of 6 bowls; top with 1 cup soup.

*Variations: for tomato soup I use Amy's or Progresso - Campbell's too sweet (IMO). I also like to add some basil. You can use brown rice. Red & green pepper combo is nice.

Instead of pre-cooking rice....I typically just measure the rice & water...then throw them both in the pot to simmer.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I get a small can of diced tomatoes add tiny bit of olive oil and italian seasoning, throw it in the microwave for a couple mins. Then tada, low cal tomato soup.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    My family does a lot of homemade chicken fried rice. It's quick, cheap, and super filling (use freezer corn and peas!)...the secret is cooking your rice the day before, so it has a chance to dry out and absorb all those flavors: YUM!
  • pichu318
    Options
    Mmm...those all sound good :3

Sometimes I make 4 cups of sushi rice and use them for rice balls...for more than a week (because it's just me in the house)

4 cups sushi rice
    5 cups water
    1/2 cup vinegar
    1/2 cup sugar

Just boil the rice in the water for 20 minutes and I add the vinegar and sugar as a mixture after all the water has dried up (not necessarily "correct", but easy XD).

From there you can have plain sushi rice, maybe add a meat or teriyaki sauce to it. You could also make rice balls out of it (with or without seaweed). I usually use salmon and mayo/ranch as an inside, but other people put in crab, shrimp, pickled things, beef, chicken, tuna, or anything really.... I've been known to dabble in blasphemous riceballs from time to time XD. If it fits, then go for it lol
  • HappyHope0123
    HappyHope0123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    pichu318 wrote: »

Sometimes I make 4 cups of sushi rice and use them for rice balls...for more than a week (because it's just me in the house)

4 cups sushi rice
    5 cups water
    1/2 cup vinegar
    1/2 cup sugar

Just boil the rice in the water for 20 minutes and I add the vinegar and sugar as a mixture after all the water has dried up (not necessarily "correct", but easy XD).

From there you can have plain sushi rice, maybe add a meat or teriyaki sauce to it. You could also make rice balls out of it (with or without seaweed). I usually use salmon and mayo/ranch as an inside, but other people put in crab, shrimp, pickled things, beef, chicken, tuna, or anything really.... I've been known to dabble in blasphemous riceballs from time to time XD. If it fits, then go for it lol

What does the rice taste like? Is it sweet?
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Crock pots are awesome, you can find so many awesome recipes on skinnytaste.com
  • pichu318
    Options

4 cups sushi rice
    5 cups water
    1/2 cup vinegar
    1/2 cup sugar

What does the rice taste like? Is it sweet?

It's both sweet and kinda sour at the same time. Sometimes I like to put a little more or less vinegar as it is 0 calories and it tips the scale from savoury and sweet. This rice is super absorbent and sticky and easy to mould, so the texture is different than the grainy texture of regular rice too.
  • c1ownfishie
    c1ownfishie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with my crockpot!!! I usually spend 4 hours (including going to the store and all the prepping) on a weekend day to prep dinners for the rest of the week so I can be lazy when I get home from long days at school. I spent about $60 on ingredients for 12 dinners. I live by myself so I choose 3 recipes that make 4 servings and then freeze them in 2 meal portions. That way I only have to pull out the crockpot every other day and I just eat leftovers on the days in between. It's a new system I decided to try about a month ago and I'm loving it!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    So....I'm extremely lazy, but I like home cooked meals. I want to know what everyone else makes when they feel lazy!

1lb ground meat
    1 can of tomato sauce
    hot sauce to taste

I usually throw this in the crock pot on low, go to school/work, and come home to a delicious dinner X3. I don't usually time how long it takes, but I don't cook the meat before, so long enough for that to be cooked. I have in the past added Thai tomato soup and/or water chestnuts as well. Really the above recipe is the base of it :P

leftovers... I usually have some soup in the freezer I can pull out and reheat
    eggs, pasta with jarred sauce, baked chicken breast with garlic/random seasonings, baked potato, salad
    http://www.food.com/recipe/tandoori-style-chicken-83276
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/270919733806833078/
    http://thewholesomedish.com/strawberry-cheesecake-baked-oatmeal/

http://www.budgetbytes.com/
  • pichu318
    Options
    I love crock pots too!

That soup just made me drool a little bit *o* haha. It looks so tasty.
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

1lb ground meat
    1 can of tomato sauce
    hot sauce to taste

This is pretty much what I do lol.

The enchiladas I make are pretty quick, poached/shredded chicken seasoned and rolled in olé low carb tortillas, topped with enchilada sauce of choice (I'll usually alternate -canned if I'm not feeling like making it) topped with cheese and onion. Takes about 30 minutes total and is pretty good. Note: I don't bake them, since the chicken is still hot and I don't like the tortillas too crispy, I broil them until the cheese is melted and very slightly browned. Plus, the oven doesn't need to preheat lol
  • coolfry
    coolfry Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I do pasta in the crockpot, one can sauce, one box broken up pasta, add water as needed, meatballs optional but suggested. Great tasting pasta with the sauce cooked in, and it takes about 2 hours on medium in my crockpot, with frozen meatballs.
  • loving1me
    loving1me Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Anything in a crock pot!!! allrecipies.com is amazing food the rest of my family will eat and wont make me feel like i just ate thanksgiving dinner
  • pichu318
    Options
    coolfry wrote: »
    I do pasta in the crockpot, one can sauce, one box broken up pasta, add water as needed, meatballs optional but suggested. Great tasting pasta with the sauce cooked in, and it takes about 2 hours on medium in my crockpot, with frozen meatballs.

I didn't know you could make pasta in the crock pot. Amazing!
  • ecr152
    ecr152 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cut turkey wings in a roasting pan with lid, add seasonings including thyme cover with cream of mushroom soup and add half a can of water. Bake covered 350degrees 2.5 hours serve with brown rice!!! Talk about yummmmm
  • loving1me
    loving1me Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    ecr152 wrote: »
    Cut turkey wings in a roasting pan with lid, add seasonings including thyme cover with cream of mushroom soup and add half a can of water. Bake covered 350degrees 2.5 hours serve with brown rice!!! Talk about yummmmm

i do that with pork chops and chicken my family loves it
  • kmg3614
    kmg3614 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I cook 1 portion of pasta, and in a saute pan i cook zucchini till almost done.. Throw in some imitation crab. When it's all warm, I add the pasta to saute pan, spritz with spray butter and add garlic salt and pepper. Really easy and fast.
  • hboypoper
    hboypoper Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make a pico de gallo a mexican toping you can add it on anything i unusually add some to a taco with some fajitas but can be used on tilapia and salmon very good on shrimp tostadas you can also mix it up by add in mango pinapple papaya etc

ingredients
    1big tomato choped
    1/2 an onion choped
    2 jalapeno or half a bell pepper (less spicy)
    1 avacado diced (not mushed)
    1cup of cilantro
    add lemon juice to taste (I usually add 2)
    add salt to taste

instructions
    mix all in a bowl then serve on any thing