Walking tires me out

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »
    Be sure to rule out any possible medical issues.

This, even if you're pretty out of shape someone your age should not be exhausted from just walking.......

• krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »
    Be sure to rule out any possible medical issues.

This, even if you're pretty out of shape someone your age should not be exhausted from just walking.......

Agreed. Definitely get your blood work done.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    You want to lose only 8 lbs which tells me that you are not extreme obese or anything ( just a guess)
    You are young ( 31 years old your profile says)

So i must say the amount of walking shouldnt give you any problems at all.

A couple of things can be wrong here.
    1. of all out of shape ( but still when you get so tired that is extreme)
    2. do you eat enough? How much calories a day?
    3. and most important one....see a doctor

Being tired of a bit of walking like that is not normal For somebody of your age and weight ( if you are indeed in a healthy weight range.)
    Being out of shape shouldn't even matter in this case.

95069916.png
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I remember posting something similar on a different forum about 5 years ago and i was ripped apart for being lazy and not trying hard enough! So it's nice to see the positive responses here :)

In my case I discovered I was VERY low on iron & vitamin D (low levels leave you feeling fatigued). Plus I found food intolerances - eggs, wheat, dairy. Keep a food & sleep diary for a week then take it to your dr and ask for full bloodwork. They are more likely to take you seriously if they see YOU are taking it seriously :) You shouldn't be feeling that tired from the levels you are doing, I would definitely think something else is going on.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Last semester I was easily getting over 10,000 a day, but this semester my schedule is completely different (plus not wearing my Fitbit for a LONG time) I was shocked that I was down to around 3,000 steps a day. I got myself back into gear and decided to get 10,000 every day! Boy did that fail quickly. I got about 5-6,000 in and went back in because I was so tired. The next day(s) I was SORE. I let myself get completely out of shape and this is the consequence. I've been slowly working my way back up since then.

However, I will say that the only reason I was able to do that last semester was because I had my thyroid checked. Turns out I was low and that was causing some pretty strong exhaustion. If I'd tried anything like 10,000 steps before starting the medicine they gave me I would have dropped like a fly, so I definitely second at least having your blood work done if nothing else. Also very helpful in my experience is making sure to eat enough protein and iron. When I get enough of those two I can definitely tell a difference in how I feel.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Keep walking. Each day do a little walking and I promise you will get stronger and will gain endurance. Be sure to listen to your body though and slowly build your way up.

When I first got started I could barely walk 1/4 of a mile without getting out or breath and winded.

Now I walk between 3 - 6 miles a day. Today I walked for 8 miles and I feel fantastic! I'm not tired or sore and I actually want to do more miles.

It took me 3 and a half years to get here, but I kept on walking and will be training for my first half-marathon early next year.

To be on the safe side I would get checked out to make sure you are healthy.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough to sustain your activity can cause you to be very tired. It can also make it hard to focus mentally on things.

How many calories a day are you eating?
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Yes to the iron(blood ferritin) level and thyroid checks! I was 27, could barely climb stairs and the docs loved to blame it on the fact that I have 3 kids. Get checked out!! I had both the above problems and am now a year into treatment and feel so much better! Talk to your health team and don't give up!
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    juliaky84 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am trying to increase my step count. Average day is 3000 steps Some effort gets me 5000 steps. Working harder gets me 7500 steps a day which is my goal - even this amount REALLY tires me out and makes me sore. It's not that much! Why am I so tired from this amount?

Have you been to the doctor lately for a blood tests? A thyroid panel may reveal something.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I'd get a check-up. 3000 steps is around what I get if I'm at home all day just puttering around doing household tasks and such. I get 6000+ working on a big campus, and I'm still not tired from that (just from dealing with my students), and I'm almost twice your age.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 and have no problem getting in 25,000 steps every day.
    I'd be getting a full check up at the doctor if I were you OP.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on whether you are trying to walk like 3 miles at once. Sedentary folks going to miles-long walks can certainly be tiring at first! I always agree with getting regular blood checks, but if you are lumping miles together, I think the tiredness and soreness is pretty normal at first.

[I have ridiculously sensitive tendons and ligaments and try to avoid walking long amounts without a break. I do much better moving in other ways, like dancing where I don't do the same motion so repetitively. Or short sprinting, which I added and love! So remember that you can dance, skip, hop and jump, too ;) Moving more is the main point, imho.]
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Can one go from couch to running a marathon in a day? Hmm, the body needs conditioning and training to increase physical endurance you say?? What a novel concept ;)
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    To add I only averaged 3k steps before I got my fitbit. Now I can easily hit 14k if I keep my eyes on the prize.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I think you should see a doctor, and get detailed blood work done. 3000 - 7500 steps is not extradordinarily active for a person your age and weight, and shouldn't be exhausting you the way you say it is. That coupled with being sore afterward is concerning. Make an appointment so you know for certain what is going on. Good luck!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    brb2008 wrote: »
    Can one go from couch to running a marathon in a day? Hmm, the body needs conditioning and training to increase physical endurance you say?? What a novel concept ;)

What are you actually trying to say?
    Do you think 3000 steps is *normally* difficult and exhausting for someone with only 8 lbs to lose?

It does suggest that the OP should contact a doctor. Not that it is a conditioning issue.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

OP is 30 years young
    Not extreme obese or overweight ( guessing this by the amount she want to lose 8lbs)
    Only out of shape she says

being tired exhausted of only 3K steps is not normal

So we are talking not about running marathons here

95069916.png
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

Do you think 3000 steps is *normally* difficult and exhausting for someone with only 8 lbs to lose?

It does suggest that the OP should contact a doctor. Not that it is a conditioning issue.

She didn't say that 3000 was exhausting. It's when she adds on the new extra 4500 that that happens.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

OP is 30 years young
    Not extreme obese
    Only out of shape she says

being tired exhausted of only 3K steps is not normal

So we are talking not about running marathons here

95069916.png

^^^True^^^

Walking is the easiest of easy exercises. I'm 43, unfit and can walk 20kms a day. I don't get sore or exhausted or even have any rest days, I do this 7 days a week.

I can understand a morbidly obese person maybe struggling, but not a young normal weight person.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

She didn't say that 3000 was exhausting. It's when she adds on the new extra 4500 that that happens.

Still shouldn't be an issue. My 86 yo mother in law walks 3-4 miles a day for exercise (including days she does her water aerobics) plus walking for "normal" activities.

A young, non-obese person should not have an issue walking several miles at a time.

OP, please see a doctor.