Christmas time, don't panic!

Options
I'll keep this short and to the point.

I notice an immense fear as Christmas draws nearer, a lot of people worried about putting on weight, ruining there chances and falling back into a cycle of comfort eating...

I can't express how dangerous it is to view your weight loss journey so obsessively, like your life depends on it, this couldn't be further from the truth.

This Christmas, I invite you to eat as much bacon wrapped sausages, trimmed turkey with cranberry sauce, roast beef and potatoes soaked in goose fat as your body can stomach, Christmas only comes round once a year, just remember that.

And don't forget the Christmas cake, it's good for the soul.

The scales will tell you you've put on 6lbs, half of which is probably water weight ;)

Replies

• LasVegasOrange
    LasVegasOrange Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can hardly wait to hear the replies to this...
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Me neither, can't wait to be bashed (Y)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    I'll just say exactly what I said in another thread ...

Machka9 wrote: »
    My plan is this:

I am about 2 kg from my goal. I am sticking to my diet right now, and will continue to do so up till about Dec 21, 22 or 23. I'll decide when I get there. If all goes well, I might lose those last 2 kg or close to it, and will switch to maintenance.

My work forces us all to take 10 days off over Christmas. If all goes well, I'm hoping we'll actually have some decent summer weather then, and I plan to exercise a lot in that time.

During that time, I also plan to take a diet break. I'll eat whatever I want to eat for those 10 days, and possibly the day before and after too.

Then I'll reassess where I am. I may need to go back onto the diet again for January ... or maybe all the exercise I've done will compensate, and I'll just continue with maintenance. :)

No need for panic ... it's all under control. :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I enjoy the day and that's it. Its one day per year, no big deal. One day won't undo all of my hard work.
  • Machka9
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »
    This Christmas, I invite you to eat as much bacon wrapped sausages, trimmed turkey with cranberry sauce, roast beef and potatoes soaked in goose fat as your body can stomach, Christmas only comes round once a year, just remember that.

Oh ... I'll also add this. I'd rather not have the bacon wrapped sausages, roast beef and goose fat, if you don't mind .... personally, I'd rather have the fruit cake, mince tarts, Christmas pudding, halva, chocolates, and pavlova ... lots of pavlova! :grin:

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Christmas is about food and family and it is only one day out the year. I am making bacon baklava for dessert with some homemade vanilla ice cream.
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    bacon baklava? two of my favorite foods in one bite? ooooh, i might have to get to know you. ;)
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    lol i just posted this in another Christmas panic thread

Over eating one Christmas didn't made me overweight. Over eating ( Surplus) every time did.

I will eat/cook/make what i want. Eat some days lower some days higher. I will do the same i always do. Moderation and portion control and when i want to indulge on something i sure will.

And after that back to control and counting again. Water weight/ fluctuations totally ignoring because i know they will be gone again.

95069916.png

• VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    My family has never made a big production of Christmas meals. So, aside from extra candy, and cookies, I'll probably have pretty much the same food as always.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »
    I'll keep this short and to the point.

I notice an immense fear as Christmas draws nearer, a lot of people worried about putting on weight, ruining there chances and falling back into a cycle of comfort eating...

I can't express how dangerous it is to view your weight loss journey so obsessively, like your life depends on it, this couldn't be further from the truth.

And don't forget the Christmas cake, it's good for the soul.

The scales will tell you you've put on 6lbs, half of which is probably water weight ;)

So true!! I don't do it all month but will have two family gatherings and a day of "friend gathering" and will eat what I want those days. The day's surrounding I will make sure to stay at not over my cal limit and my workouts will continue. Enjoy life and then get back at it!!
  • 110challenge
    110challenge Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    So I'm one of the people who is continuing to be very cautious up until Christmas... partly because it ISN'T "just one day" ...I thought it was the norm in this day of diverse families to have a number of Christmas celebrations? In just Dec 24-Dec 28 I have three Christmas celebrations. Going overboard 3 times in a week is setting myself up for a massive backslide. I know I'll be ordering Chinese on New Years Eve (so 4! times in a week) and that will be my big indulgence, but otherwise I plan to stay within my calorie goals or at maintenance, but not over.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    That's my plan. :)
  • scorpcookie
    scorpcookie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've already indulged at a couple of Christmas parties and have no regrets. When someone goes to the trouble of making some gelato and warm apple crisp for their party, I can in no way say no to such great food. Nor can I say no to second and thirds. Maybe to fourths I can say no, but those three other times, I had to indulge and enjoy, especially when no one else was having any.
  • jmpaterno
    jmpaterno Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'll be indulging fully on Christmas. But I'm also eating 100 fewer calories than normal for a dozen or so days this month to give myself a little wiggle room :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    My family has never made a big production of Christmas meals. So, aside from extra candy, and cookies, I'll probably have pretty much the same food as always.

Yes, actually ... Christmas dinner will likely be a small serving of a cold cucumber soup, like last year + turkey + a whole pile of veggies. Not really anything to worry about.

But then I'll treat myself to some of the extras throughout my 10-12 day diet break. :grin:

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'm eating anything and everything on Christmas day, not to mention the left overs for a couple days after :lol:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What is christmas cake?
  • CitrusEscape
    CitrusEscape Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to treat Christmas like a huge feast. I just started a keto diet so I'll be mainly eating protein and healthy fats that day. I like to stay lean year round so I always eat up to my caloric goal.
  • Machka9
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    What is christmas cake?

Usually fruit cake, I think.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    What is christmas cake?