Exercises to slim down calves?!

Hey all! I can't be the only one out there with the syndrome known in the medical field as "Really, unusually big calves that don't fit in to any of the cute knee-high boots at the mall"! They're not muscle-y, they're just fat-y and completely un-toned. I'm looking to fix this as I go on this journey (Ten pounds down! Yay! 1/3 of the way there!) But I suppose I'm wondering exactly HOW to do that? I want to exercise without bulking them up, so I need stuff specifically good at slimming calves.

Any suggestions to help a girl out?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    If it's fat, work on overall fat loss by eating fewer calories than you burn--eat less, move more, or do a combination of the two. There is no spot fat loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Calves are mostly genetic. While losing overall fat can help to reduce the circumference a bit, if your calves are 16" or more around, don't expect too much of a reduction.
    There are no exercises that directly reduce any part of the body (also known as spot reduction training by many fitness sites).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • darlin1131
    darlin1131 Posts: 18 Member
    Overall Weight loss. If that does not help, embrace them.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Mine are the opposite, unusually skinny, haven't changed size too much and I look completely ridiculous in boots lol...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited December 2015
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Calves are mostly genetic. While losing overall fat can help to reduce the circumference a bit, if your calves are 16" or more around, don't expect too much of a reduction.
    There are no exercises that directly reduce any part of the body (also known as spot reduction training by many fitness sites).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yep yep. Mine started around 16.5. Very large, and I'm only 5'4". I got mine down to 14.5 and considered that to be a wild success.

ETA: with 30 pounds lost
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Compression socks? Like for air travel?

Just an idea
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Just exercise and eat at a deficit. That's what worked for me anyway. I've got quite muscly calves (I used to cycle a lot when I was younger) and I can fit into knee high boots now.
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,971 Member
    Hey! If your big calves are genetic, you may not be able to slim them down too much, but there's a series of workouts on you tube called "ballet beautiful." The exercises are all designed around ballerina bodies, and there's specifically a workout for long, lean legs. Try it out. It can't hurt! :)
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    As above, not much you can do with genetics.

That said, you can streamline them. I'm a standard pear shape (no boobs, weirdly big hips/thighs topped off with a great set of cankles).

I found 10 minutes, 4 times a week on the step machine gave them some definition and definitely did not make then bigger.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Exercise and overall weight loss

Get to your target weight and see what you have.

Calves can get very cut looking too.

Sometimes we just don't like aspects of our appearance and it is our own perception in play.

At the end of the day it is genetics and self acceptance after you have done all you can do.

Best wishes on all counts
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Overall fat loss, sweetie. Your calves & my double chin: stank eye! LOL
    just do your program. the body will change as it wants... Also, go to zappos & find the wider calf boots. They're out there, and they're cute as anything at the mall. I promise!
  • yungbrah
    yungbrah Posts: 33 Member
    You know, I wish I had big calves ;(
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Start lifting weights. It won't take much fat off them, but after a while you'll be like "Waaah, my calf muscles won't grow!"

I know this from experience.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    Poor calves. When they're big, people want them smaller. When they're small, people want them bigger.

The grass is always greener!
  • As said before: overall weight lost =smaller everywhere. But some people will always have larger than average Boobs or necks or ankles. Pilates Played a huge roll in slimming my legs. Even when I wasn't loosing weight! Get a dvd and try :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Poor calves. When they're big, people want them smaller. When they're small, people want them bigger.

How does that make calves different from any other body part?

Well. With one exception where bigger is nearly always considered better.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    stealthq wrote: »

How does that make calves different from any other body part?

Well. With one exception where bigger is nearly always considered better.

Sigh
  • ninerbuff
    czvanut wrote: »
    Hey! If your big calves are genetic, you may not be able to slim them down too much, but there's a series of workouts on you tube called "ballet beautiful." The exercises are all designed around ballerina bodies, and there's specifically a workout for long, lean legs. Try it out. It can't hurt! :)
    Exercises don't lengthen muscle (physical permanence). Lots of instructors in yoga and ballet talk about building, long lean muscle, but one's muscle is attached well before birth. That attachment will dictate how muscle length. No amount of exercise will change this.
    If someone "looks" longer and leaner, it's usually because they have low body fat and lack muscle mass.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    edited December 2015
    2 petite girls with "big" calves:

emily%20bett_zpseaap4x7a.jpgEmily Bett Rickards (Felicity Smoak on "Arrow")
    melissa_zps2az8u5gr.jpgMelissa Benoist (Supergirl)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png