Costco Pork Tenderloin 4-pack?

Options
I recently bought a 4-pack of relatively small pork tenderloins at Costco. When I scan in the bar code to my journal, it states 4 oz as a serving at 120 calories. It doesn't specify whether that's cooked or raw. Normally when I measure meats I use the raw weight, and weigh it all before I cook it. In this case I can't really do that because it's a large chunk of meat we usually toss in the crock-pot. If I weigh it after cooking will this be an accurate calorie count?

Thanks!

Replies

• mmarie_3
    mmarie_3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you're supposed to measure meat AFTER it's been cooked. For instance the weight of a chicken breast is much different after it's been cooked. Cut your meat then weigh it after it's been cooked.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mmarie_3 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you're supposed to measure meat AFTER it's been cooked. For instance the weight of a chicken breast is much different after it's been cooked. Cut your meat then weigh it after it's been cooked.

Raw weights are more accurate for meat.
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Actually it's more accurate to weigh raw. When you cook meat it loses moisture, so, 4 oz of cooked chicken is more condensed than 4 oz of raw chicken. If you set 4 oz of each side by side the cooked chicken would have more calories, because you actually have more chicken and less water. I hope that makes sense.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Off topic, BUT, if you're at Costco and want the small pork tenderloins (boneless pork chops) buy a whold tenderloin and slice off the "chops" you want. You can leave some for a roast if you want. You'll save close to a dollar a pound. Got a knife, save money.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    You can weigh raw it before and add it to the recipe builder, then weigh it after (minus pot) to set up your servings. I like to set mine at 1gram servings so I can log 78 servings (grams) or whatever I end up with on my plate.
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I was so focused on the bar code for accuracy that I completely forgot about the normal USDA entries. This is so great! Thank you, that's exactly what I needed. I was just making it too complicated. Hah.

*cheers* B)
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Acidique wrote: »
    Oh wow, I was so focused on the bar code for accuracy that I completely forgot about the normal USDA entries. This is so great! Thank you, that's exactly what I needed. I was just making it too complicated. Hah.

*cheers* B)

Haha, so was I! I thought it was in a recipe in the crockpot, not just by itself. :)

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

the reason you listed is the exact reason that you should measure before cooking