Protein / Carbs / Calories

Options
pie_eyes
pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
Do these go into calorie count or is it all separate? And if I went over my protein or carb goal but am under my calories how do I burn protein and carbs off?

Replies

• BWFit16
    BWFit16 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Your macros count towards your total cal intake, 1g protein/carb=4cal, 1g fat=9cal. You cannot burn strictly one macro, you burn calories overall.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    pie_eyes wrote: »
    Do these go into calorie count or is it all separate? And if I went over my protein or carb goal but am under my calories how do I burn protein and carbs off?

Eat enough calories.
    Eat enough protein -- OK to go over
    Eat enough fat -- OK to go over
    Carbs -- they do not matter one way or another
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Going over protein does not make u fat
    All fat that is not needed for hormones and some cellular function gets stored as fat. Carbs that are over first gets stored as glycogen then fat
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    You might want to read up a bit on macro-nutrients.
    Proteins, carbs and fats are the three macros, and you are recommended a daily goal for each.
    Calories are a measure of the energy contained in food, the macros each have so many calories per gram. So you cannot burn them separately, as your body converts them to energy, or stores remaining calories as fat.

It isn't critical to hit your goal macro daily, but you also want to make sure you aren't missing by huge amounts either. People tweak these levels to match their goals...protein usually for muscle repair and building....
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    pie_eyes wrote: »

Eat enough calories.
    Eat enough protein -- OK to go over
    Eat enough fat -- OK to go over
    Carbs -- they do not matter one way or another

Nice summary @RodaRose
  • pie_eyes
    Options
    Thanks for the responses I think I understand now. I'm not trying to make gainz just lose 10 lbs
  • bevkidd1
    bevkidd1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am a newbie to all the above that has been discussed. I think I need to read up on it all. Can anyone give me any pointers to it all?
  • mmarie_3
    mmarie_3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you're wanting to count your macros, count those and not calories. Or vice versa. Your caloric needs should be very close to your macro goals if you're doing it properly.
  • lionkingbg
    lionkingbg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Can anyone advice me which p/c/c ratio is optimal? My primary goal is to lose 5-10kg (11-22 pounds) but healthily (at the same time to lower BP, blood sugar level, cholesterol... )
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    lionkingbg wrote: »
    Can anyone advice me which p/c/c ratio is optimal? My primary goal is to lose 5-10kg (11-22 pounds) but healthily (at the same time to lower BP, blood sugar level, cholesterol... )

Not really, any optimum is fairly wide and you'll just get a load of contradictory opinion. 20 - 35% protein, >30% fats and the balance in carbohydrate.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    lionkingbg wrote: »
    Blood sugar, BP, and cholesterol can often (not always) be reduced by weight loss. In other words, reducing calories will likely improve your numbers.
    If you have not already talked to a registered dietitian, pay attention to ways that you can reduce carbs, fruits, sugars (especially added sugar in packaged food). Usually, that involves adding much more vegetables to your days. Also, you can add more fat and oils to replace the sugars: avocados,cheese, eggs, bacon.
  • pie_eyes
    Options
    mmarie_3 wrote: »
    If you're wanting to count your macros, count those and not calories. Or vice versa. Your caloric needs should be very close to your macro goals if you're doing it properly.

Okay then