am i right or wrong?

Options
As i told in my last post that i am 5.9 and 160 pounds in weight...and my age is 40...i am a large framed lady have broad bone structure...i have same weight since 20 yrs..once reduced 10 pounds with extreme diet n maintained it for 4 yrs...now i am again 160...now trying hard to loss but not successful...this is what i think that my body is in habit of staying like this as i dont look fat but personaly i prefer to get slim...i was large framed sobi used to eat less like 1200 to 1500 calories...thatswhy maintaining it...now the problem i have is that i am adviced here to take 1200 cals...which my body is used to through ages...so how could i loss weight...can i go down in calories...doing same cals n exercise is again for maintaining the weight for me and i want to reduce...what if i take 800 or 900 cals? Less cal intake with burning present fat can do something but here restriction on 1200 is upsetting me..its almost the same cals what i am going through...and moreover i cant do exercise or cardio more than 1 hour...i feel muscular pains permanantly...so in my limited maybe false opinion i should take less cals and try to burn the rest...yr opinion plz..?
Just need guidance..

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When you say you are eating 1,200 calories -- are you weighing your solid food to determine how much you're eating? Usually when people aren't losing weight despite logging low calories, there is a logging issue involved. If you open your diary, you may get more specific help.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Do not eat less than 1200. If your logging is accurate (meaning, for most people, weighing their food and making sure everything is 100% accounted for), you'll lose at 1200. Eating less can lead to not receiving enough nutrients to fuel your body, which can cause some pretty serious health concerns in the long run.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    fairy290 wrote: »
    As i told in my last post that i am 5.9 and 160 pounds in weight...and my age is 40...i am a large framed lady have broad bone structure...i have same weight since 20 yrs..once reduced 10 pounds with extreme diet n maintained it for 4 yrs...now i am again 160...now trying hard to loss but not successful...this is what i think that my body is in habit of staying like this as i dont look fat but personaly i prefer to get slim...i was large framed sobi used to eat less like 1200 to 1500 calories...thatswhy maintaining it

When you maintained at 1200-1500 calories, were you weighing your solid foods to the gram, using measuring cups for liquids, and logging them using accurate nutrition information? If not, how did you determine that you were eating 1200-1500 calories per day?
    ...now the problem i have is that i am adviced here to take 1200 cals...which my body is used to through ages...so how could i loss weight...can i go down in calories...doing same cals n exercise is again for maintaining the weight for me and i want to reduce...what if i take 800 or 900 cals?

800-900 calories is unhealthy and needlessly low. IMO you should be eating more than 1200 calories to lose weight and I believe that you could do so if you were to weigh your solid foods to the gram, use measuring cups for liquids, and log them using accurate nutrition information.
    Less cal intake with burning present fat can do something but here restriction on 1200 is upsetting me..its almost the same cals what i am going through...and moreover i cant do exercise or cardio more than 1 hour...i feel muscular pains permanantly...so in my limited maybe false opinion i should take less cals and try to burn the rest...yr opinion plz..?
    Just need guidance..

Nobody needs to do cardio for more than 1 hour unless they are training for an event that requires it.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have a feeling that when you say you are eating 1200-1400 calories, you are probably eating closer to 1800-2000 due to poor portion control/logging habits. Given your stats, you should be able to maintain your weight on about 1775 calories a day without any exercise (I based it on a sedentary lifestyle). Try weighing your food with a digital scale and using database entries you know are correct. Without being able to see your food diary, that's about the only advice I can give. If you're willing to open your diary, we might be able to offer more info.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Multiple threads by the same OP all receiving the same advice to open her diary and accurately log using weights for solids and volumes for liquids ... the question being when is the OP going to start applying that advice?
  • fairy290
    fairy290 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling that when you say you are eating 1200-1400 calories, you are probably eating closer to 1800-2000 due to poor portion control/logging habits. Given your stats, you should be able to maintain your weight on about 1775 calories a day without any exercise (I based it on a sedentary lifestyle). Try weighing your food with a digital scale and using database entries you know are correct. Without being able to see your food diary, that's about the only advice I can give. If you're willing to open your diary, we might be able to offer more info.

I opened it...just did for 2 days but you can better understand while seeing it..thanks...do reply.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I opened it...just did for 2 days but you can better understand while seeing it..thanks...do reply.

If you have only logged for two days, how do you know how many calories you're eating?

It looks like you're using generic entries (those can be very inaccurate) and you aren't weighing your solid foods. Before deciding that 1,200 won't work for you, you need to know how much you're actually eating. You could be eating much more than you think.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    If you were truly consuming under 1000 total calories per day, weight would drop off you. It is simple math based on physics and biology.
  • jemhh
    Options

You are not accurately weighing or measuring your food. I agree with tincan's assessment that you have been eating significantly more than you think. Don't be offended by that. It is extremely common (way more common than not) for people to underestimate their caloric intake. Get a digital kitchen scale and use it. Follow your MFP goal. How many pounds do you have marked to lose per week in your MFP profile? IMO you should have either 1/2 pound or 1 pound per week.
  • fairy290
    Options
    Plz check my diary...i mentioned everthing i eat..and tell me whats wrong in cal counting..i used 2 boil eggs how to weigh em and in lunch a cup of salad a cup of gravy...and a roti which is like pita bread..maje by a size of table tennis ball...which i took yesterday when i was asked why i am away from fiber..otherwise i stop using carbs...kindly read my diary n advice.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    In those 2 days, I saw mostly generic entries. I'm not familiar with the type of food you're eating (Indian?), so I don't know how far off it might be, but I'm guessing they're inaccurate because that's just a normal negative feature of such a large food database.

You need to weigh your food instead of eyeballing it or using measuring cups. Try to log using whole food entries as much as possible.

Also, you're going to have to log for a long time to get the hang of it and to figure out whether a diet is working. 2 days isn't enough, especially when it's not accurate. I'll dig up some threads to help you learn proper logging.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Plz check my diary...i mentioned everthing i eat..and tell me whats wrong in cal counting..i used 2 boil eggs how to weigh em and in lunch a cup of salad a cup of gravy...and a roti which is like pita bread..maje by a size of table tennis ball...which i took yesterday when i was asked why i am away from fiber..otherwise i stop using carbs...kindly read my diary n advice.

You've been told numerous times to weigh all solids, measure all liquids. Until you do so, your logging will be inaccurate .... PERIOD!
  • janejellyroll
    Options

You need to weigh solid foods (fruit, vegetables, bread). You need to try to avoid generic entries when possible -- they're created by other people and you have no way of knowing of what ingredients they're including in their food as opposed to what is in yours (how much milk do you put in your tea as opposed to them, how much oil do you put in your daal as opposed to them).

You can't know how much you're eating until your logging is tightened up. You are likely eating much more than 1,200 calories.
  • fairy290
    Options
    If i want to take 2 boil eggs with tea in breakfast.
    A fruit in snack.
    Half roti with 2 ounce chicken or a cup of lentils or gravy with a cup of raw veg salad of cucumber n carrot.
    Evening tea with 6 almonds or 2 biscuits
    Dinner with a cup of chicken vegetable soup or chicken kabab or fillet.
    A cup of tea.

This is all what i take n want to take as it revolves around 1200 cals...as i checked some diet plans too.

Advice now.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    A fruit in snack.
    Half roti with 2 ounce chicken or a cup of lentils or gravy with a cup of raw veg salad of cucumber n carrot.
    A cup of tea.

This is all what i take n want to take as it revolves around 1200 cals...as i checked some diet plans too.

Advice now.

Read the threads in the post above yours. Until you begin logging accurately, you have no idea if that actually represents 1,200 calories or much more.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Why ask questions if you plan to ignore the advice?
  • jemhh
    Options
    A fruit in snack.
    A cup of tea.

Advice now.

You've been given plenty of advice. You are choosing to ignore it. To put it bluntly, there is no way on earth that you have maintained 160 lbs as a 5'9" woman on 1200-1600 calories unless you are super sedentary to the point of moving around through life on a transporter like the people in Wall-E. You are ingesting more calories than you think.
  • fairy290
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    A fruit in snack.
    A cup of tea.

Advice now.

You've been given plenty of advice. You are choosing to ignore it. To put it bluntly, there is no way on earth that you have maintained 160 lbs as a 5'9" woman on 1200-1600 calories unless you are super sedentary to the point of moving around through life on a transporter like the people in Wall-E. You are ingesting more calories than you think.

Ok...done i am going to cut it down ..
  • fairy290
    Options
    Why ask questions if you plan to ignore the advice?

No way..how can i ignore..i am trying to understand how to use weight machine for boil eggs or 1 carrot n cucumber...basically i am confused.