am i right or wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    fairy290 wrote: »
    Why ask questions if you plan to ignore the advice?

No way..how can i ignore..i am trying to understand how to use weight machine for boil eggs or 1 carrot n cucumber...basically i am confused.

Turn on the scale. Set your carrot on it. Look to see how much it weighs. Log it.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    You use a food scale for the kitchen, not a bathroom scale you weight yourself on.
  • fairy290
    fairy290 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

No way..how can i ignore..i am trying to understand how to use weight machine for boil eggs or 1 carrot n cucumber...basically i am confused.

Turn on the scale. Set your carrot on it. Look to see how much it weighs. Log it.
    jemhh wrote: »

Ok...
  • fairy290
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    You use a food scale for the kitchen, not a bathroom scale you weight yourself on.

Not funny dear...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Not funny dear...

I don't think she was trying to be funny. Your answers seem to indicate that you don't quite understand what people are suggesting to you. Other people in the past have been confused about the difference between a food scale and a bathroom scale.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I'm not a great comparison, but I am 5'4" and have been in maintenance for 2 months. I have been at 134 during that entire time and have been eating between 1800 and 2000 calories. I recently reset my ticker to drop a few more pounds...but if I was eating 1200 calories that weight would be rolling off..if I was 5'9"..even more so.

I think the problem is simply the TINY amount of time you have been logging. My recommendation: LOG everything you eat accurately (use a food scale if need be) and give it a few weeks. Logging for 2 days is simply not enough time to make the leap that 1200 calories is too high. To lose weight I usually shoot for between 1350 and 1500...I would start there for a few weeks and adjust calories as necessary.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Not funny dear...

I don't think she was trying to be funny. Your answers seem to indicate that you don't quite understand what people are suggesting to you. Other people in the past have been confused about the difference between a food scale and a bathroom scale.

You are right, I was not trying to be funny at all. I was trying to clear up some of the confusion you seem to have. When I first started, I had no idea what a food scale was and thought people were going crazy when they recommended I weigh my food.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    As i told in my last post that i am 5.9 and 160 pounds in weight...and my age is 40...i am a large framed lady have broad bone structure...i have same weight since 20 yrs..once reduced 10 pounds with extreme diet n maintained it for 4 yrs...now i am again 160...now trying hard to loss but not successful...this is what i think that my body is in habit of staying like this as i dont look fat but personaly i prefer to get slim...i was large framed sobi used to eat less like 1200 to 1500 calories...thatswhy maintaining it...now the problem i have is that i am adviced here to take 1200 cals...which my body is used to through ages...so how could i loss weight...can i go down in calories...doing same cals n exercise is again for maintaining the weight for me and i want to reduce...what if i take 800 or 900 cals? Less cal intake with burning present fat can do something but here restriction on 1200 is upsetting me..its almost the same cals what i am going through...and moreover i cant do exercise or cardio more than 1 hour...i feel muscular pains permanantly...so in my limited maybe false opinion i should take less cals and try to burn the rest...yr opinion plz..?
    Just need guidance..

I am a good comparison

I am 5'8, large framed by wrist and elbow size

I weigh 160lbs in maintenance

My maintenance calories, weighed and logged carefully are 2200-2400

I am fairly active..I walk about 8K steps a day and workout 3 times a week for a total of 3 hours

You are not maintaining at 1200 calories..you are not logging properly
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Not funny dear...

This OP has gone around and around in another thread. She just doesn't want to weigh her food, but is sure she's maintaining on 1000-1200. Not possible. Everyone (including present) has advised buying a DIGITAL FOOD SCALE. She has been walked through the weighing process by many kind, patient, MFPers. And pretends to not understand--still. OP, stop playing around. Buy the scale. Use it. Come back in 2 weeks if it doesn't work.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    A 2 oz piece of chicken is bizarrely small, so that stands out. Was it cooked in oil or butter? That adds about 100 calories minimum right there for most people. That's how the calories can be more than we think when we log, lol. My cream for my coffee adds a lot of calories added up throughout the day.

OTOH, some people do have hypothyroidism and have very slow metabolisms because of it. If your doctor doesn't check your thyroid levels, get her to do so. It's an important disease to get treated, so that's not just for weight loss if you have it.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    That just doesn't add up. A woman your height is most likely eating more than that to maintain that weight. And you should be able to lose at 1200... Even a little more. Please don't go under 1200. You will rob yourself of full nutrition!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10294923/why-i-am-not-lossing-weight/p1

Just follow the advice given yesterday .... it's the same things you're getting told again today.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    For reference - and I know someone already did this, but more than one reference might help.

I am 5'10 and weigh 250lbs. I am losing on 2200 calories/day. I am fairly active and work out 4 - 5 days/week, sometimes 6. I run 3 of those days normally and do some other type of cross fit/cross training on the other days.

I am not a professional but I doubt you're legit maintaining on 1,000 - 1,200 calories/day.

Hopefully you have figure out how much you're actually eating because by looking at your diary and as a 5'9 tall woman I don't think you're surviving on that little of food. I know I couldn't.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    1 roti may or may not be just 60 calories. I measured my ingredients and created my own roti recipe. I make it with no oil except for what goes into making the dough and that comes out to 70 calories. And my rotis are fairly small.

Similarly, Did you measure this and then make your own recipe? "Generic - Indian Arhar Daal Cooked In Oil" - I have found wildly varying calorie counts for dal because of how differently you can cook it. I cook my dal in water and do a tadka in water. I use zero oil. So my dal is low calorie but most people use some oil or ghee in their tadka and so the calories are going to vary.

This item - "Bohra Food - Gosht Salan Tarkari, 1 cup" - did you cook this or is this some prepackaged product you reheated? If it is prepackaged, did you measure out 1 cup exactly(I highly recommend that you check out the nutrition label, figure out what the weight of one portion is and weigh a portion out) and eat only that much?

Anyhow, I'm Indian and (I'm currently not logging for some personal reasons) in my experience, your calorie counts can vary wildly simply based on how much fat you use in your cooking. So a good place to start would be to enter in your exact recipe and use that in your diary. The MFP database entries for Indian food are notoriously inaccurate and I don't rely on them at all.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Also, 160 lbs at 5'9" is already in the normal BMI range. So you don't have much weight to lose. If you want to lose going forward, you need to be super accurate with your logging.
  • fairy290
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »
    Also, 160 lbs at 5'9" is already in the normal BMI range. So you don't have much weight to lose. If you want to lose going forward, you need to be super accurate with your logging.
    krithsai wrote: »

Thanks for advice.☺
    And yes i eat roti and everthing home made and yes còoked daal etc in water n last oil tarka....
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If i want to take 2 boil eggs with tea in breakfast.
    A fruit in snack.
    Half roti with 2 ounce chicken or a cup of lentils or gravy with a cup of raw veg salad of cucumber n carrot.
    Evening tea with 6 almonds or 2 biscuits
    Dinner with a cup of chicken vegetable soup or chicken kabab or fillet.
    A cup of tea.

This is all what i take n want to take as it revolves around 1200 cals...as i checked some diet plans too.

Advice now.

Here is where the problem lies...

2 eggs. I have a carton of eggs in my fridge labeled "large eggs". The calorie count on the outside of the carton says "1 large egg, 50grams = 70 calories". i weighed my two eggs (should be 70 calories each or 140 cals total) before cooking them this am. one was 68 grams and one was 72 grams. They were supposed to be 50 grams each. thats an EXTRA 40 grams, or almost an entire THIRD EGG worth of calories. If I logged 2 large eggs....I would be way off on my calorie count.

A fruit for a snack - my idea of a small apple and your idea of a small apple can be VASTLY different. Is your idea of a small fruit one that is 2" across? 4"? 6"? how do you know that the entry you chose in the database was for a piece of fruit of similar size? but weighing them and entering the actual gram total for your piece of fruit leaves no room for error.

Same thing with a half roti.....your assuming that the person who entered the database entry for the roti you selected has the same idea of what a "small" roti is. What if their idea of a small roti is twice as big as yours? Or half the size of yours? Thats a BIG calorie difference.

Dinner - cup of chicken vegetable soup. Do you add oil or butter to the pan when you sautee the veggies? Leave the fat or skin on the chicken? add rice or noodles? How do you know what the person who made the original entry added to their soup? What if they dont use ANY fat or oils and you use some? Your calorie count will be off.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I agree with all that has been said here.
    Weigh all your foods, then enter them in manually into your diary using the nutrition information on the package instead of choosing one of the entries already there. For recipes, add the ingredients for the entire recipe into the recipe builder and log one serving. For existing entries in the database, check them with the nutrition information on the food packaging, too. It really helps to weight everything, and I mean everything....oils, milk, butter, ghee, cream, soup....everything. Even fruit and vegetables. There are a lot of bad entries in the food database...I guess some people like to cheat themselves.

To weigh a boiled egg, weigh it before cooking, then find the egg in the database to find a suitable entry (compare against the nutrition information on food packaging), or enter the egg information manually.