Oh my god, that was awful! (low-cal products you tried and hated)

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I really like light ranch dressing, but fat free ranch is just AWFUL.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    This:

flips-salted-caramel-crunch-flip.png
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    This:

uh oh! I've got this in the fridge now and haven't tried it yet. :-/
  • bramble345
    bramble345 Posts: 50 Member
    13bbird13 wrote: »
    Almond milk!

I've never actually tried this, so I really shouldn't weigh in, but I took my elderly father grocery shopping once and he bought this. I so wanted to ask him "You actually DRINK this?", but I didn't want to turn him off of asking me for rides to the store. We haven't lived in the same household for 30 years, but we were always a whole-milk family (and I still am... I don't use it often, but I buy nothing else).

Almond milk is watery and tasteless, hazelnut milk creamy and has a mouthfeel near to that of whole milk. Theres a slightly sweet taste to it which hits my sweet, creamy cravings spot nicely.
  • sharmrp
    sharmrp Posts: 18 Member
    Cottage cheese. Just can't do it. The texture. Even the thought.....yuck!
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    This:

Yes! I like the key lime one, but that one was really gross. Threw it away after about three bites.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    sharmrp wrote: »

Me either. Only kind of cheese (aside from the fakey-plastic junk) that I just can't handle. The taste is bad, the texture is bad, everything is bad. I've tried several different brands without finding one I can force down.

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    I tried making a pumpkin protein fluff. Bad. Very bad.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Definitely all Quest Bars. Disgusting!
  • skinnyD2308
    skinnyD2308 Posts: 92 Member
    FibreOne Brownie - sawdust, seriously.
  • Momakanga
    Momakanga Posts: 122 Member
    Carrot Juice. I am still not sure why I tried it. Yuck!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited December 2015
    Fat-free versions of nearly anything. I can handle reduced/low fat in most things (ranch dressing, mayo, etc), and even sometimes almost prefer it, especially dairy - light sour cream, 2% cheese, 1% cottage cheese, etc. But, if it's "supposed" to have fat and it has none at all....ew. Fat free dairy makes me want to cry. Only exceptions would be yogurt and milk, but I almost never consume either of those anyway.

Other than that, I rarely buy "light" or "diet" foods, so most of the things people have listed I've never even tried. Except, I actually don't mind a lot of the Fiber One products, though some are certainly nasty. And I like the "light" popcorns and Pop Chip type things, but that's just because I like them, not because I think I'm replacing anything with them.

Oh, I know! I tried coconut milk "yogurt" once. Not technically "low cal," but I did a Whole 30 for kicks and grins and I was bored with my snack options so I decided to try it. When I peeled off the lid, it was all separated so that it had this solid top that was all jiggly and underneath was this watery runny stuff. I actually took a video of it on my phone because I was convinced that edible food shouldn't move like that. I almost didn't even taste it because I was so grossed out, but I paid for the stuff and I was going to be darned if I wasn't going to at least try it, so I mixed it up and took a bite...yeah, should have stuck with my gut on that one. *shudder*
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Any Greek yogurt tastes wrong to me. I know it's supposed to be so good but I cannot get down with it.

My husband got me low fat Cheez its. Gross.

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Kale chips. Don't give me dehydrated kale and call it a chip.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    zcb94 wrote: »
    Premiere Protein shakes, the chocolate ones. For a time, my doctor told me to choose to either eat real food for lunch or dinner, but not both. Therefore, I was basically going to afternoon classes on an empty and upset stomach on those shakes.:sick:

Funny, I love these things... drink one or two a day most days.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Fat-free versions of nearly anything. I can handle reduced/low fat in most things (ranch dressing, mayo, etc), and even sometimes almost prefer it, especially dairy - light sour cream, 2% cheese, 1% cottage cheese, etc. But, if it's "supposed" to have fat and it has none at all....ew. Fat free dairy makes me want to cry. Only exceptions would be yogurt and milk, but I almost never consume either of those anyway.

Other than that, I rarely buy "light" or "diet" foods, so most of the things people have listed I've never even tried. Except, I actually don't mind a lot of the Fiber One products, though some are certainly nasty. And I like the "light" popcorns and Pop Chip type things, but that's just because I like them, not because I think I'm replacing anything with them.

Oh, I know! I tried coconut milk "yogurt" once. Not technically "low cal," but I did a Whole 30 for kicks and grins and I was bored with my snack options so I decided to try it. When I peeled off the lid, it was all separated so that it had this solid top that was all jiggly and underneath was this watery runny stuff. I actually took a video of it on my phone because I was convinced that edible food shouldn't move like that. I almost didn't even taste it because I was so grossed out, but I paid for the stuff and I was going to be darned if I wasn't going to at least try it, so I mixed it up and took a bite...yeah, should have stuck with my gut on that one. *shudder*

It may come as a surprise, but real yogurt actually does behave like that. Emulsifiers are added to some commercial yogurts for that purpose. If left undisturbed after setting it forms a "block" of yogurt in the middle and a bit of whey on the sides. I live in a place where the majority of yogurt sold is plain and whole fat with a very short shelf life and 2 ingredients: milk and bacteria. Every single brand I tried does this, homemade yogurt is no exception.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member

It may come as a surprise, but real yogurt actually does behave like that. Emulsifiers are added to some commercial yogurts for that purpose. If left undisturbed after setting it forms a "block" of yogurt in the middle and a bit of whey on the sides. I live in a place where the majority of yogurt sold is plain and whole fat with a very short shelf life and 2 ingredients: milk and bacteria. Every single brand I tried does this, homemade yogurt is no exception.

No, it's not a surprise. I'm no stranger to farm-fresh dairy (natural separation doesn't frighten me) and I've tried homemade yogurt. The consistency of this particular brand was...artificial. The top was almost plastic-y - reminded me of goopy stuff that my kids play with - and the bottom was chunky water - looked like if you dropped a tablespoon of old sour cream into a cup of vinegar and tried to mix it up. Either way, even though it put me off, I could have dealt with it if it had mixed up into an edible consistency and/or tasted good. Sadly, it didn't achieve either.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member

No, it's not a surprise. I'm no stranger to farm-fresh dairy (natural separation doesn't frighten me) and I've tried homemade yogurt. The consistency of this particular brand was...artificial. The top was almost plastic-y - reminded me of goopy stuff that my kids play with - and the bottom was chunky water - looked like if you dropped a tablespoon of old sour cream into a cup of vinegar and tried to mix it up. Either way, even though it put me off, I could have dealt with it if it had mixed up into an edible consistency and/or tasted good. Sadly, it didn't achieve either.

Enough said. I wouldn't want to eat that either... wow.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    sharmrp wrote: »

Definitely. :#